Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview UFO: Alien Invasion inquiries at Gamers with Jobs

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: UFO: Alien Invasion

<a href="http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/">Gamers with Jobs</A> has taken an interest in <A href="http://ufo.myexp.de/">UFO: Alien Invasion</a> as you can tell by <a href="http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=795&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0">this interview</a>. It covers the basics of the turn based, tactical CRPG loosely based on X-Com. Here's a bit about the gameplay:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Q: Now for the gameplay: Alien Invasion is said to be "heavily inspired/influenced" by the X-COM series. Which gameplay elements of the classic can be found in UFO: Alien Invasion? Which did you leave out or change? Are there aspects that cannot be found in the original games (other than the multiplayer modes, of course)?
<br>
<br>
Herby:</b> In my opinion, the most important element of the classic X-COM is its intense round-based combat. You'll find all of it in UFO: AI too. Every squad member has his own personality, his own look and you can even give them names. They also gain in experience and power over time. You also need to research alien technology in order to succeed in saving the world. However, we don't now exactly how and to what extent base management will be implemented. We're still discussing on that subject, because management shouldn't be too tedious.
<br>
<br>
A thing you won't see in UFO: AI is ship combat. Hunting UFOs isn't your job anymore. You've got plenty of other things to do.</blockquote>
<br>
Yes, bring on the turn based alien killin'!
<br>

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
ufoai2.sized.jpg

Classy :D Reminds me of the dropship in Aliens, though.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I will definitely be looking forward to this one. It sure as hell looks and sounds more promising than Aftermath ever was. I like how similar the guys in that screenshot look compared to the X-Com guys in the first game's intro scene.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I think the bar below indicates the weapon in the main hand while the opposite image across the screen indicates the secondary hand (which would make the character carrying two bullpup-design machine guns). The '30' is probably the ammo. The crosshairs are probably shooting modes. The '26' is probably refering to time units, and the 'Enemy Spotted' is probably the textual info about the battle (movement, damage dealt, etc.). Those numbers on the top probably represent squad members, and the ones on the left probably represent enemies.

I have no idea what the others mean; possibly game options (like the icon with the disquette).

Human Shield

Augur
So a free Quake II engine game (UFO: AI) will be better then a retail game (UFO: Aftermath)? And people on their forums still whine about having a real-time mode.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Looks like an honest effort. Aftermath wasn't total shit, it was playable till some point. But the RPG elements in that game were so pathetic they made baby jesus cry.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Role-Player said:
I think the bar below indicates the weapon in the main hand while the opposite image across the screen indicates the secondary hand (which would make the character carrying two bullpup-design machine guns). The '30' is probably the ammo. The crosshairs are probably shooting modes. The '26' is probably refering to time units, and the 'Enemy Spotted' is probably the textual info about the battle (movement, damage dealt, etc.). Those numbers on the top probably represent squad members, and the ones on the left probably represent enemies.

I have no idea what the others mean; possibly game options (like the icon with the disquette).

My guess would be that since the "secondary hand" is greyed out, the character is only carrying a single assault rifle and no secondary options are available. Might be wrong though, and such a setup seems a bit cumbersome and taking up unnecessary space. If there are several weapons with secondary fire modes (like an attached grenade launcher for example) it may work alright. The interface does look clunky, but maybe it will make sense when you play it.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
The croshairs should be "find and look at next legit target" if they are the same way as in UFO enemy FO:POS sorry UFO enemy unknown.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Dammit.

Now I need to install X-Com just to satiate the craving this thread has awoken deep inside of me.

I hope they release the promised demo for this game soon. :)

Rosh

Erudite
Yes, it is. Like bumblefucks, the UFO:A devs used "UFO" in the title and "seemingly" didn't expect the implication the name carries as well as potential trademark issues, despite that the game was said to not have anything to do with X-COM. Oh, and the disinterested fans.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Slightly concerned that it's German. The site almost sounds like it's written in news bites. Very short sentences. Definately looking lke it'll be me next long-awaited X-Com hit though. Wouldn't it be funny if it sold really well?

Oh yay! They've even got the rectangular selector cursor thing happening. Definately Love that.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I hope it turns out well. The PC gaming scene could use a little boost, even if it is from an independent developer.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Saint_Proverbius said:
It's freeware, DU.
They're giving this away? Well shit on me.

Sparx said:
Ufo - Alien Invasion is totally free. We do computer games for fun and not to earn money.
They're either very smart or very stupid. Whether or not the dmeo actually comes out in February should be a good indicator.

sheek

Arbiter
I got the 'Tech Demo 2'. Graphics are great, looks very promising.

A few things I noticed:

-only four 'stats'.

Why get rid of all the other X-COM stats (looks like health, stamina, strength are all lumped into 'power')? Not sure I like that.

There are a bunch of other stats for specific weapon types (heavy, close combat, assault guns etc). I wonder how the game mechanics of that work. Does accuracy get added to combat proficiency? Is it really necessary to have separate skills for assault and sniper rifles? - don't know but I think learning to hold and aim a gun is a pretty generic skill.

-the tactical combat menu has only eight 'buttons' for fighters.

I hope this isn't hardcoded because the great thing about X-Com was when you had a platoon of 15-20 men trying to control a huge map. For city defence missions there's no way you can make a part of the map safe and advance into other ones starting only eight men.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom