Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Silent Storms ships to retail in America

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Encore Software; Silent Storm

<a target=_blank href=http://www.encoreusa.com/>Encore</a> has announced that <a target=_blank href=http://www.nival.com/eng/s2_info.html>Silent Storm</a> has just shipped to retail stores in North America:
<br>
<ul><i>Los Angeles, CA - January 20, 2004 - Encore, a majority-owned subsidiary of Navarre Corporation (NASDAQ: NAVR) and JoWooD, an Austrian game publisher and developer, today announced that Silent Storm has begun shipping to retail stores in North America.
<br>
<br>
Silent Storm is a true 3D game combining turn-based tactical combat and role-playing set against the background of World War II. Gamers choose to play on the side of the Axis or Allied forces, select their squad, and customize their characters from over 40 male or female operatives. Each squad member can be created from a variety of nationalities, and will possess a unique personality, background and in-game dialog. Player units will also benefit from a rich character development system, with 9 preset skills for each character, and over 50 skills that can be developed throughout the course of the game. This enables players to use their own game style, from brute force to cunning stealth. With over 75 authentic WWII weapons, the path to victory unfolds through a campaign of 24 non-linear daytime and night missions, and includes randomly generated encounters of varying styles and difficulty.</ul></i>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</A>

Montez

Novice
God damn, it's about time. I guess I should get used to it, I get the feeling most RPG's and turned based games are going to be coming from Europe now.

triCritical

Erudite
Well I will be getting it during lunch today.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BTW, without giving spoilers can some of the euro's give us American's some starting tip's.

JJ86

Liturgist
Any word on a new patch to fix problems reported earlier? Also where can I find any patches for the game?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The American version is already patched to 1.2.

As for tips, I tend to like snipers but you're going to need some machine gunners as well. Grenaders are okay, and they can do some major damage since the AI will clump up around corners.

For snipers, try to find a line of enemies if you can. It's not always possible, but a bullet will continue travelling through people. If the people are in a line, you can often send one bullet through all of them.

Voss

Erudite
Are engineers actually useful in the full game? (Besides for becoming the PK master?)
They seem to have a wide variety of abilities...

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not a Euro, but... I prefer small teams Scout, Sniper, Grenadier/Engineer, maybe a Soldier.

Whenever you start in a new mission, have all your guys hide and look for cover.

A lot of tricks from playing JA work well in SS, Before you leave a map take some time to Shoot bursts at inanimate objects (pick up enemy weapons and get familure with them so ammo isn't an issue), snipe corpses, pick locks, set mines and disarm them (better save first, or you'll go through a few engineers/grenadiers)

Mines work very well for patrolling enemies, not so much for planting on doors/windows

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Voss said:
Are engineers actually useful in the full game? (Besides for becoming the PK master?)
They seem to have a wide variety of abilities...

No, not really. There are few doors/crates which can't be opened with the general purpose key, also known as the Bren gun. In general, you can do just fine without one until the later stages of the game and since the way the soldiers back at the base gain skills is severely flawed, the engineer you pick up then will be better in most aspects than the one you use. I'd take another sniper with high intelligence and have him do most of the engineering duties.

Voss

Erudite
Hmm. Thanks.
I'll have to consider the team make-up carefully.
Ah. Inspiration.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Your main person, I'd make something OTHER than a soldier or grenader. If your main person gets zapped, the mission is over. All the other characters in your group can go down to zero and the mission will continue - they'll even be around for the next mission.

Sniper or medic would be good for for the main person.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
For snipers, try to find a line of enemies if you can. It's not always possible, but a bullet will continue travelling through people. If the people are in a line, you can often send one bullet through all of them.

Someone in the development team liked Indiana Jones :)

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Engineer with the massive explosion ability and a pocketfull of nitro and tnt is a damn scarry thing to unleash on a battlefield (up until damn panzerkins :/)

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
HanoverF said:
Engineer with the massive explosion ability and a pocketfull of nitro and tnt is a damn scarry thing to unleash on a battlefield (up until damn panzerkins :/)

True, which is why I usually bring along an engineer later in the game, just to watch the destruction.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I do most of my destruction with large machine guns. There's just something to be said about having the penetrating power to waste some poor smuck on the floor above or below you just because you can hear them. If they're above, it's neat when the body flops through the hole your burst fire creates in the cieling. If it's the floor, it gives you a large enough hole to climb down and loot their little bodies.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Montez said:
^ If I wasn't sold on this game already, this would have done it.

Here's what I mean..

http://www.rpgcodex.com/screenshot.php? ... iew014.jpg

That's after a first volley through a floor at a bad guy. The second volley killed him. The little ear icon is the guy. It means I can hear him. If you can hear them, you can aim at the noise.

http://www.rpgcodex.com/screenshot.php? ... iew015.jpg

That followed the second volley. That's the guy's body there to the right of my character.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
That is a very cool feature indeed. There is something about going for the overkill of bringing down the entire house with some TNT just to get the final guy hiding in the attic that appeals to me though.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I do most of my destruction with large machine guns. There's just something to be said about having the penetrating power to waste some poor smuck on the floor above or below you just because you can hear them

I had a similar situation with a clue behind a locked door. I tried to shoot the door open with a Browning, and succeeded, but also destroyed a large part of the floor in the process. After a moments thought on my sticky situation, I trundled down to the lower floor, shot a hole under the clue, and it fell down neatly into my hands.

Voss

Erudite
The game is fun so far, though some of the voices and translations are a little off...

The intro movie in particular... the guy is just too perky and fast-paced for what he's talking about.

And I almost shat myself laughing at the first mission into 'Hannover Land'
Partly because I used to live in that area, and partly because of the entertainment value of translations that are too literal.

Amused by the Swedish Grenadier that says 'Ni' though...

triCritical

Erudite
Voss said:
The intro movie in particular... the guy is just too perky and fast-paced for what he's talking about.

Totally agree, that guy is just laughable, does not fit the part at all.

Anyhow, while some of the translations are funny, I see where the game is trying to go. It seems like its trying to make WW2 satirical and funny, in much the same way JA2 pokes the fun at B 80's commando movies. Especially with the varied merc's from different countries and the funny things they say during combat.

While I think this game is technically superior to JA2, so far I think its a little less quirky.

BTW, I love this game!

Megatron

Liturgist
Here are some tips. I don't know if they're helpful or not, but here's how I played the game.

My main character was a sniper. I think these are the handiest of classes as they can heal themselves reasonably well and are able to fire most guns. Later on some of the sniper weapons are basically one shot, one kill too. The problem is they usually have a lower health, but it's not too bad.

I didn't take a scout along on my first play-through. Early in the game they seem too be pretty useless but I tried playing through with a team full of scouts, which was fun for a few missions.

Engineers seem to be pretty useless? Just a combination of the soldier and grenadier really, mine usually covered everyone else. I prefer heavy machine-guns and later on the heavy grenades for mass destruction. Also there rarely seemed too be any traps in the game and it's hard to get the engineering skill up.

Medics are usually good with rifles, I managed too get mine too be pretty well-rounded towards the end.

Soldiers also seem too be a weaker class. I might have been playing wrong but my soldier took the most risks and had too get closer while a sniper would have done equal damage. The heavy machine-gun is nice but a grenadier can do a decent amount of damage. They end up with high VP though, these will probably be the ones you drag through the mission and force through every door.

Leave your characters to bleed too increase VP. I always started the mission by hiding all the characters and getting them as near too an area as possible. It's also handy too leave a lot of room in a soldiers inventory as you can pick up some heavier weaponary later in the game.

When you change weapons you lose familiarity. Melee combat doesn't do much damage and rocket launchers are pretty ineffective against buildings. It's good too keep stocked up on grenades and have a pistol handy for close combat (you can usually fire off 4 rounds per turn, a lot better than knives though not silent).

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
If you use a scout pick up every shuriken, throwing knife, chakra you can find they're usually much more accurate and quicker then pistols (and they are silent killers)

My favorite tactic was once my scout had the improved spot ability, he could spot guys from quite a distance, so I'd lay my sniper somewhere with a clear shot, but far enough that he was out of visual range, and go to town taking full turn shots (you can't snipe or make called shots tho)

Greenskin13

Erudite
This game has some very strange moments. I just ran across an encounter with a group of "Renegade Sodliers" who carried ninja stars and grenades who dressed like they just escaped from Rainbow Six set. Their leader was well dressed and carried a katana. The whole experience left me confused, and beaten. Damn those guys, they're practically invisible till they strike!

axel

Liturgist
Here's some tips I used.

-Hide. Always have it on.

-The sniper class is the easies class to use, but if you know how to use them correctly the grenidier and the scout become very powerful. The scout is quirky, you have to do things just right, and if you want to use the scout you'll probably need to save alot and you'll more then likly end up reloading often until you get the hang of it. (Even then, it's still a bit tricky)

-Don't be cheap, throw grenades at everything. Make sure your grenidier has plenty. If you have an engineer make him carry the extras.

-Targetted shots, espeically with snipers. Use the number pad to aim for the head. Viper with a springfield should be able to take an enemy down with one shot pretty earily on.

-The HMG is basically a big long range SMG, it's a sprayer weapon that smashes through walls. Remember this when using your solider. Also about soliders they're basically grenidiers that carry a HMG. Give them lots of cheap grenades (save the good stuff for the grenidier). And again about the solider, he's supposed to and more than likely will, take a beating. Just more excuses for your medic to improve his healing skills.

-A note on panzerkleins: HE grenades and rockets dont' really hurt them much, and don't even bother with Frag 'nades and rockets. If you run into a PK, try look around and see if you can find a solider with a laser gun (yes the game has some shitty sci-fi stuff for those who didn't already know) the laser gun goes right through the panzerklein.
Duromine-(Brand-Ionamin) newpapers wedding-planners gyn Valtrex bike-shops physicians-assistant clothes-shopping rn nurse-aide pet-shelters veternary hydrocodone board-of-accountancy dodge-dealers no-rx blue-cross-blue cosmetology archaeology citys alcohol-laws government-jobs social-work beauty-salons driver-license kia-dealers driving-maps road-maps department-of-health art-museums legal-secretary phone-directory visas mortgage-quotes chiropractors educator esthetic office-manager veterinary-hospitals pediatric

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom