Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda set to sue Interplay over Fallout MMO

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3; Interplay

<a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50098">NMA are reporting</a> that Interplay is about to get its ass handed to it by Bethesda, <a href="http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/displayfilinginfo.aspx?FilingID=6543575-1076-225118&type=sect&dcn=0001170918-09-000147">so sayeth their 10-K filing for 2008</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Interplay recently received notice that Bethesda Softworks, LLC ("Bethesda") intends to terminate the trademark license agreement between Bethesda and Interplay which was entered into April 4, 2007 for the development of FALLOUT MMOG. Despite the fact that no formal action is currently pending, Bethesda claims that Interplay is in breach of the trademark license agreement for failure to commence fill scale development of same by April 4, 2009 and to secure certain funding for the MMOG. Interplay adamantly disputes these claims. Although the potential damages are currently unknown, if Bethesda ultimately prevails and cancels the trademark license agreement, Interplay would lose its license back of the "Fallout" MMOG and any damages resulting therefrom are unknown at this time.</blockquote>
<br>
Seems there'll be an awful lot of fall out over the Fallout license. Lulz.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Dicksmoker</b>!

Seboss

Liturgist
No wonder Jason Anderson bailed out a couple months ago.

masterridley

Novice
Ogg said:
Another nail in the coffin.

Who cares anyway?
I care :x

But really did anyone think that Interplay had any chance of going through with this?
I'd rather they (Interplay) had sold the lisence to an other "trust-worthy" developer like I don't know CD-Project or Obsidian than for Bethesda to rape the fallout universe once again.

derill

Novice
Check out the Kotaku article to see another mini fallout 1/2 vs fallout 3 || bethesda vs interplay/black isle war.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Pete Hines: "ehue, now we get to have free design documents from some original Fallout developers. My plan went flawlessly."

Shannow

Waster of Time
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Pete Hines: "ehue, now we get to have free design documents from some original Fallout developers. My plan went flawlessly."
Nope, they wouldn't want anybody messing with their "vision". They didn't want FO-devs on FO3 so why would they care about design docs now?

St. Toxic

Arcane
Shannow said:
They didn't want FO-devs on FO3 so why would they care about design docs now?

Flawed logic. They don't want the FO-devs on staff, true, but they like nothing more than stealing other people's ideas for their little tax-dodge bonanza. :poirot:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Care to elaborate? If it is tax dodging (which may very well be the case) I don't see the connection to design documents. And while they like out-sourcing I'm not aware of any history of theft. At least not of good ideas.
It won't be:
Beth: Hey, with these design docs we could create a reactive, dynamic, TB mmo that is true to the FO universe and not even angry cunts will have too much to queef about. And it will make millions for us. We'll start a new time where we stand for quality games that are catered towards a mature, reasonably intelligent audience. Good we got to steal those docs...

St. Toxic

Arcane
Shannow said:
Care to elaborate? If it is tax dodging (which may very well be the case) I don't see the connection to design documents.

I say tax dodging, in the sense that it would be the only valid excuse for producing and developing filth ala Ob and FO3.

Shannow said:
And while they like out-sourcing I'm not aware of any history of theft. At least not of good ideas.

Does it have to be good ideas? I know for a fact that they've taken a page or two from BOS docs, and I'm assuming there are some perverted variations on VB ideas in FO3. Apart from that, they stole my joke about Capitol Wasteland and used it in all seriousness throughout the game. :cool:

Shannow said:
It won't be: Because I felt like buttfuck. :chick:

Never said it would.

obediah

Erudite
St. Toxic said:
Shannow said:
Care to elaborate? If it is tax dodging (which may very well be the case) I don't see the connection to design documents.

I say tax dodging, in the sense that it would be the only valid excuse for producing and developing filth ala Ob and FO3.

Selling millions of copies of a video game at $60 a pop is a pretty poor way to reduce your taxes.

drunkpriest

Scholar
I wouldnt mind romancing a peroson online in this new fallout online. As long as shes a wood elf.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Forget Fallout. You can still play the old games for as long as you find a computer to run them, but the future is hijack.

Fenril

Scholar
GlobalExplorer said:
Forget Fallout. You can still play the old games for as long as you find a computer to run them, but the future is hijack.

Not as long as someone has the possibility to create a very similar or even virtually identical setting and naming it differently. So the fallout spirit may live on...even if bethsoft never changes.

Shannow

Waster of Time
St. Toxic said:
Shannow said:

Weak. Here I took you seriously and thought you at least had some insight in the whole buying/leasing/licensing of the FO IP for different game genres. But you were just spouting crap :(

Does it have to be good ideas?
Of course. Otherwise, who cares? Its not as if anybody would notice another bad decision between all the others.
Shannow said:
It won't be: Strawman ;)

Never said it would. :chick:
Fixed that for you.
And I must say I'm really disappointed in you, S.Tox. I expected more. Some insight apart from their own stupidity as to why Beth do what they do. But it seems I'll have to wait for BN to clear some of the stuff up. Which is unfortunate because I have the impression that he stopped posting here :(
All one can expect from you now is to try to come back at me. It's the only thing you're good at :roll:
At least you'll be better than other pathetic recent attempts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom