Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 10 Games that won't die

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Baldur's Gate

The sun is shining today folks so you know what that means... It's time for another list! This one is from extremetech and is <a href="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2342527,00.asp">10 Games that won't die</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>1. Diablo II
<br>
2. MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries
<br>
3. People's General
<br>
4. StarCraft
<br>
5. Fallout
<br>
6. Baldur's Gate (and BG2)
<br>
7. WarCraft III
<br>
8. Battlefield 1942
<br>
9. Freelancer
<br>
10. Allegiance</blockquote>
<br>
Follow the link if you want to read any of their reasoning.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

YourConscience

Scholar
Now, really, come on guys, just do a little bit of journalism at least, will you? How do the hundreds of players in Allegience of Freelancer or Battlefield 1942 compare with the tens of thousands in Counter Strike? I am not talking Counter Strike: Source, I mean that old, ugly one!

Why didn't they just go over to that page:
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

and see that the old ugly Counter Strike (non-source) right now has 20K active players and a peak of 73K (presumably within the last two days). Now, *that's* a game that just won't die, in my opinion!

pipka

Savant
WTF is People's General? Is it cool wargame?
Sadly, there is no SubSpace / Continuum on the list...

Fallout isn't Fallout 3. The original is a top-down RPG with very few action elements. While the two share the same funky, post-apocalyptic spirit, the original still has a number of loyal followers. We tracked one down and chatted via IRC to find out why, oh why, would you still play the old, graphically inferior original when Bethesda's masterpiece is so popular?

FUCKING FAIL!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
StarCraft is a really shallow RTS. Why did it become so popular? I mean, I played the FUCK out of it back in the day with all my buddies, but we all moved on to bigger and better games.

sirfink

Scholar
I stopped playing Battle 1942 because most of the servers are empty.

And Starcraft is like a religion here in Korea. We've got 3 or 4 TV channels of nothing but pro gamers playing that game. Pirated copies of course.

Nedrah

Erudite
Wow. Now didn't this "Steve" guy really get's across what makes Fallout better.

"the original is a pure RPG. There's no action, no reflexes, you're outside the body not inside."

Yep, that's what makes it a real RPG compared to FO3 - you're outside the body.

What else keeps Steve coming back to the long-remembered original? "Just the feel, it's different if you really play the two. Plus back then it was so original and not like what we saw before except maybe some really old 8-bit games like Roadwar 2000 or whatever."

Like, dude, whatever.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Hobo Elf said:
StarCraft is a really shallow RTS. Why did it become so popular? I mean, I played the FUCK out of it back in the day with all my buddies, but we all moved on to bigger and better games.
Like what? There is no better and more balanced RTS. There is no other RTS where all races are actually different. There is not much(if any) RTS with battle.net like system for internet games. There is no patches to other RTS to be made >10 years after release.
And also starcraft is very simple to learn. There is no too many features or units or redundant rules. There is no unused units.
And there is great amount of skill and thinking required. Of course, not as much as for killing six orcs in turn-based mode :)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hobo Elf said:

2 words. South Korea.

Hard Knox

Educated
Nedrah said:
Wow. Now didn't this "Steve" guy really get's across what makes Fallout better.

"the original is a pure RPG. There's no action, no reflexes, you're outside the body not inside."

Yep, that's what makes it a real RPG compared to FO3 - you're outside the body.

I know you're being sarcastic but he's right, that what makes it an RPG. First person RPGs are stuff like Wizardry and Might and Magic where your reflexes don't matter, not Fallout 3.

You're dumb, is what I'm saying.

DraQ

Arcane
Freelancer? Isn't that some runty and retarded Elite clone?

Speaking of which:
Why Frontier, or at least Elite isn't on the list?
What with UT'99?
What's so special about BG?

Also, there were RTS games far superior to SC (which wasn't bad, but still quite generic, barring some extra flavour to the available races).

St. Toxic

Arcane
This list is based on a flashback into stupidity. Eagerly awaiting it's exclusion from a List of top 10 shittiest lists.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I don't understand. This list doesn't correspond perfectly to my list of favourite games I've played. In fact, there's quite a few games I don't like, and in a few cases, have never even heard of! They really need to get their act together.

Also, anyone who refers to Fallout 3 as a "masterpiece" deserves to be stabbed in the eye with a rusty spork.

L'ennui

Magister
<a href="http://www.netrek.org/">NO NETREK?</a> List fails. (As had been explained, list also truely fails by blatantly omitting CS. How the fuck is that even possible?)

DiverNB

Liturgist
At least it wasn't a top 10 list of games that will never be forgotten, of which 9/10 are all current gen shit cans

Ardanis

Novice
HoMM3 rules all. Whoever made that list obviously knows nothing about gaming.

DraQ

Arcane
Talby said:
I don't understand. This list doesn't correspond perfectly to my list of favourite games I've played. In fact, there's quite a few games I don't like, and in a few cases, have never even heard of! They really need to get their act together
The problem is it doesn't mention some famed vintage games with active communities.

Elite/Frontier/FFE:

See Oolite, russian D3D mod for FFE and community of people waiting for Elite 4 without asking "Elite 4? Wuts this 'elite' ur talkin bout?".

UT'99:

Still active modding and fan community.

Sckarecrow92

Educated
inwoker said:
Like what? There is no better and more balanced RTS. There is no other RTS where all races are actually different. There is not much(if any) RTS with battle.net like system for internet games. There is no patches to other RTS to be made >10 years after release.
And also starcraft is very simple to learn. There is no too many features or units or redundant rules. There is no unused units.
And there is great amount of skill and thinking required. Of course, not as much as for killing six orcs in turn-based mode :)

Skill, yes.
Thinking, no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom