Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Codex interview CD Project's Michal Kicinski

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Michal Kicinski; Witcher, The

Some time ago - namely before yesterday's news item about CD Projekt cancelling the console Witcher port and their other projects - we sent Monolith to interview Co-Founder Michal Kicinski. <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=189">Here's what he had to say</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>7) In the press release announcing The Witcher selling a million copies you implied that The Witcher is going to be ported to consoles. Let's assume that will happen - what's involved in porting The Witcher and what exactly would have to be changed?</b>
<br>
<br>
The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf is the console equivalent of the PC version of The Witcher. From day one we knew it would be great if the game could be brought to a broad audience, not exclusively PC owners. However, you've got to remember that this was our first project and creating such an extensive RPG just on the PC was already bordering on impossible. Adding other platforms would have been beyond what was possible for us and above all, we wouldn't have been able to concentrate on making The Witcher the best RPG on the platform that is PC. The Witcher was very well received by gamers and the media. That strengthened our conviction to introduce the product we have created in the course of many years to the broadest audience possible. Right after the release of The Witcher we started to create a console adaption. One of our conditions was that RotWW ought not postpone the development of CD Projekt RED's other projects. That's why we decided to cooperate with an outside company, the French White Screen Games team, which provides the modern DaVinci engine specially designed for next-gen consoles. WSG is responsible for technical side, adapting and improving game assets while a small team of our people oversees everything concerning content - working out a new and console-typical combat system, changed GUI, and a lot of other changes needed for The Witcher to be a fullblooded console title use their potential to the fullest. Except the plot which remains the same all other elements of the game are changed or totally new. That's why I believe The Witcher will also be well received by the console crowd, because there aren't any PC remnants that could lessen the console experience. Of course, if we succeed has yet to be varified by the console gamers.
<br>
[...]
<br>
<b>4) And now that we've discussed the strengths, what are the game's flaws? Where did you fail and, most importantly, why? What would you have made different?</b>
<br>
<br>
Everybody seems to see different flaws. Painful, from my point of view, was the fact that on release day the game was plagued by bugs and failures which hindered enjoyment. Especially the long loading times. Also painful were the cut and shortened English dialogues - something that was advised by „experts" of the western markets, but which was an absolute mistake and, since it was done in a hurry, resulted in unlogical and inconsistent dialogues, but above else hurt the atmosphere. There was also a great deal of small bugs but taking into account the scope of the Witcher that was to be expected (although I personally disapprove). Compared to games like Gothic 1, The Witcher was quite a polished product ;). Nonetheless, with our next project we'll certainly go much further when it comes to polishing the game. It's quite distressing if what's been created in the course of several years gets crossed out due to some bugs that could be removed with a couple of weeks' work.</blockquote>
<br>
Like I said, it was before yesterday's news. <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=189">Read the rest</a> to find out about the game's strengths, weaknesses, that problematic English translation and most importantly, the how and why behind the hype.
<br>
<br>
Special thanks to Monolith for the translation from Polish, with a bit of assistance from Elwro.

MetalCraze

Arcane
creating such an extensive RPG just on the PC was already bordering on impossible
If they believe that creating a "RPG" that is even worse than what Bioware and Obsidian do is bordering on impossible - they should stop making games. Seriously.
Even Bioware and Obsidian do better secondary quests than "bring 10 brains"/"kill 20 dogs". I hope their brains didn't melt when they were coming with such creative crap.

But... but...
this was our first project
Come on guys, you make Relic and Elemental Games look like Einsteins of gaming.

designed for next-gen consoles
what the fuck? They became outdated 4 years ago :evil:

Painful, from my point of view, was the fact that on release day the game was plagued by bugs and failures which hindered enjoyment

A pity. Next time better spend money you've saved by not hiring good writers to hire some QA.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Michal is a little full of himself at times but otherwise quite interesting to read.
we shouldn't clutch outworn formulas.
...when talking about TB of course created lots of nerdrage. I even agree that TB doesn't fit single character aRPGs but that phrasing just stinks of industrialized shit.

mo jak większoś
You missed some, DU.

The main reason I've put aside TW for the moment are the hordes of weak, respawning enemies. While I've only read the Last Wish and Sword of Destiny I don't remember Geralt constantly engaging in fights with monsters. On the contrary, he is constantly confronted with not finding work because monsters are evermore receding to uninhabited places or simply becoming extinct. IMHO, CDP should have cut lots of the filler combat, kept the focus on the story and rare but difficult encounters that need preparation. Combat's mediocre at best, too. Animations are nice but camera and gameplay are lacking. They could have kept the timing-clicks and fighting styles but combined with handling that resembles Gothic. Combat would have become more involved and actiony while removing some of its more frustrating aspects. Geralt also becomes too powerful too fast. I'm only about halfway through the game, but I've yet to encounter a difficult fight with humans and I didn't even invest much in steel sword fighting skills.

There, some advice to browse ;)
Not in the mood for creative invective.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I swear I read and went over the whole thing and yet all this Polish keeps coming up. :| Argh.

Monolith

Prophet
DarkUnderlord said:
I swear I read and went over the whole thing and yet all this Polish keeps coming up. :| Argh.
I translated most of it and went over it a trillion times and somehow managed to miss it.

Kraszu said:
We need enhanced edition of this interview.
We might get there.

BTW, wanna thank Elwro for helping with the translation and editing, as well as VD for having a look at the questions and changing them for the better.

Kraszu

Prophet
Monolith said:
DarkUnderlord said:
I translated most of it and went over it a trillion times and somehow managed to miss it..

Couldn't you just paste it somewhere with English spell checker that would show what words are polish.

Monolith

Prophet
Let's say it was supposed to be done, but then, somehow wasn't. Add to that an overly eager trigger finger of SOMEBODY and here we are. Perhaps better that way, at least it got posted before The Witcher 2 was released.

Suchy

Arcane
I'm starting to get interested in that FPS project. Does anyone have an idea who's this sci-fi writer working on the story?
Our future products are planned to be less linear - taking it so far that depending on our choices we'll be able to visit totally different locations. In addition to that the player will have more freedom in dealing with simple quests.
TW2? Sounds a bit too good.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
skyway said:
creating such an extensive RPG just on the PC was already bordering on impossible
If they believe that creating a "RPG" that is even worse than what Bioware and Obsidian do is bordering on impossible - they should stop making games. Seriously.
Even Bioware and Obsidian do better secondary quests than "bring 10 brains"/"kill 20 dogs". I hope their brains didn't melt when they were coming with such creative crap.

If you can't appreciate the “cream of crop” that RPG genre has to offer today, you shouldn't be playing (new) games anymore. Calling even the best of efforts "crap" is hardly constructive, is it? But that's not what being a skyway is all about, eh?

In regards to the bugs left in, IT project management is so much in its infancy still. Why is it so hard to go for a solid feature freeze and testing/polishing phase? Is this somehow related to the milestone system they have with publishers?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Kraszu said:
Couldn't you just paste it somewhere with English spell checker that would show what words are polish.
I originally did copy it into MS Word but it fucked the special characters and the formatting when I copied it from there back into the WYSIWYG editor we use on the site, so I reverted to re-copying it from the post in the admin forum and formatting it solely in that. Somewhere in all of that a few bits got missed. At one point I had corrected all the quotes for example but the final has them in that funny looking state. On the whole it was good to go though and it wouldn't be the first time we'd fixed up an interview / review after posting it (The WYIWYG editor likes to add massive spaces for example which often only come out of the wash after posting the data through 3 or 4 times).

Monolith said:
Add to that an overly eager trigger finger of SOMEBODY and here we are.
Only because SOMEBODY was talking about delaying it another four months and taking two of the really good questions and answers out. :D

By the way, do people want it posted up in the original Polish as well? Poles are our second most visiting audience so I'm just curious how many would like to read it in their native tongue.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Now don't make such a big fuss about it. It's not like we're some prestigeous magazine that has to watch out for its reputation.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
DarkUnderlord said:
By the way, do people want it posted up in the original Polish as well? I'm just curious how many would like to read it in their native tongue.

Nah, don't bother.

Poles are our second most visiting audience

o_O

MetalCraze

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
And considering that every single one of them is TW fanboy who enjoys games that play themselves - that explains why Codex gaming standards are so low and digging.

TW is the Decline of the Codex.

Durwyn

Prophet
skyway said:
DarkUnderlord said:
And considering that every single one of them is TW fanboy who enjoys games that play themselves - that explains why Codex gaming standards are so low and digging.

Stereotypes are great, but only for dumbfucks.

Witcher was not a pinnacle of RPGs, but it's still one of the best ARPGs. It has it flaws and it wasn't an redefinition of RPG as CDPR claimed, not even a RPG, but it's a good game. You either have a bad taste or our definitions of a good game varies greatly.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's Sky's Way.
You get used to it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

35a8wva.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Durwyn said:
Stereotypes are great, but only for dumbfucks.
Only if they are wrong, especially considering the following quote

Witcher was not a pinnacle of RPGs, but it's still one of the best ARPGs.
No it's not. In aRPG you control your character in combat and in a good (let alone one of the best) aRPG combat must be great - what's so great about playing QTE minigame while twitching RMB to spam Aard (if you're fighting humans) and Igny (if you're fighting monsters - don't know how they are written in english though as I have only rus version)? Good aRPGs also have lots of weapons and armours. Calling what TW provides poor means being too modest.

Durwyn said:
You either have a bad taste or our definitions of a good game varies greatly.

So a good taste means that one should like plot full of most overused cliches (amnesia; enemies burned down the house; rebels fighting the powah; supervillain that wants to destroy the world/race/region; cold superhero with special powers that saves the world from the aforementioned villain while taking his revenge), MMORPG quests (bring 10 pelts/kill 10 dogs), bland characters without any character, non-existent character development in something you call aRPG (no matter what you choose you will still end up with the exactly same set of skills), dialogues which go without any player control and a combat that doesn't require any player control? Looks like our definitions of a good game vary greatly indeed, because I absolutely can't see what's so special about a generic clone of a token Bioware game except TW is worse (due to MMORPG-for-single-player quests, the plot is quite on a par)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom