Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age E3 Preview Wave One

Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

Surfs up. With that whole E3 thing going on, we now get even more Dragon Age news. And seeing as this is dark, gritty, and the new shit...sex is priority number one. No, really. From <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58986">Shack News</a>:<blockquote>Unfortunately, beyond the controls, I came away from the Dragon Age E3 demo feeling oversold--particularly on its sexuality--and ultimately underwhelmed.
<br>
<br>
The presentation began with lead designer Mike Laidlaw spending ten minutes explaining how players can have sex in the game. There was no lead-up to this segment, mind you. This was the headline topic. This was the new shit.
<br>
[...]
<br>
"It is cold in my tent," said Morrigan, inviting the hero in for fantasy fulfillment. Laidlaw chose the "let's see what happens," option, and then there was a brief tease of sex, set to what sounded like Celine Dione.
<br>
<br>
Of course, this encounter angered the jealous redhead, thus creating a dynamic love triangle. Laidlaw offered us the choice of who the player should eventually "get with." Someone yelled out "redhead!"--no doubt a devout fan of Allison Hannigan--and I wanted to leave.
<br>
[...]
<br>
But in creating what is essentially a sex minigame with Dragon Age, BioWare is fully entering territory that I'm not sure it can pull off. Sex in games is still in the pubescent stage. Hammy voice acting and stiff 3D acting make for awkward, pimply approximations of intimacy. One can only hope these early efforts lead to eventual maturity. In the meantime, they can be painful to watch.</blockquote>Now that's some great priorities right there. Next up, from <a href="http://www.thunderboltgames.com/features/article/e3-2009-dragon-age-origins-feature-for-ps3-xbox-360-pc.html">Thunderbolt Games</a>:<blockquote>Following this glimpse of character interaction, we were shown combat against a dragon. It was the first time the team showed a battle pitting the hero against a dragon and it lived up to my expectations. With a user display that’s vaguely reminiscent of World of Warcraft, the combat was fast-paced and frantic. With the click of a button, the player can assume control of any character in their party, allowing you to use each party member to their fullest extent as you battle.
<br>
<br>
As spells flew and the dragon expelled fire in every direction, I was very pleased to see the frame rate hold up at a consistent rate. The graphics were incredibly rich, with excellent texturing. Individual scales of the dragon could be seen as our hero navigated the chaotic battlefield until he finally was able to mount the back of the beast and slide his sword into the dragon’s neck. The dragon’s death was highlighted with a massive splatter of blood covering everything in sight. A diverse color pallet should allow for very different environments as you plug your way through the game.</blockquote>The real question though...can we see the fear in the dragon's eye? Also, why are they putting fatalities in an RPG?<blockquote>“This is not your father’s fantasy,” said Leo Soskin as he demonstrated aspects of the character creation. “This is dark, gritty, and real.”</blockquote>Not for you Bioware, not for you. Next up <a href="http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6211024/dragon-age-origins-e3-updated-hands-on">Gamespot</a>:<blockquote>We were then shown a part of the game earlier in time than the first sequence, where our Grey Warden encounters and fights a dragon. The battle takes place in a field of grass, where members of our traveling party join us against the dragon. The dragon, as can be expected, breathes fire and is hard to take down, even with five people using swords, arrows and magic against it. Because you can switch to and between up to four members of your party at any one time, our Grey Warden uses this opportunity to switch to a sorceress, who is able to shapeshift. Now playing as the sorceress, we turn into a giant spider that is small enough to get beneath the dragon and bite its legs. As this is happening, we switch to our Grey Warden again, who is able to use the sorceress' distraction to jump on the dragon's back and drive a sword through it's eye, finally killing it.
<br>
<br>
After the demo we had some hands-on time with an early stage of the game on the Xbox 360. This was the first time we've seen this game on a console, so we payed close attention to the control scheme. Our objective in this short session was to find a particular item with another member of our party. We walked through a forest, encountering and collecting items, before coming across a wolf and a cave containing giant spiders in a fight. The combat here proved very slow--you can assign six different weapons to your control scheme, pressing the X, Y and B buttons to access them, and A to use them. However, pressing A near an enemy seemed to do nothing. It was only when we were under heavy attack and standing almost under an enemy that our weapons finally worked. Holding the left trigger down allowed us to switch between weapons, while the right trigger brings up the weapons menu, which shows you what weapons you have at your disposal. There is also a stealth mode you can access if your skill set allows for it by pressing the X button. A is also for using items and collecting and storing them in your inventory.</blockquote>Also, they added new videos to their <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/dragonage">YouTube channel</a>. Apparently,there is more Marilyn Manson. Joy of joys....
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://gamebanshee.com">Gamebanshee</A>

MetalCraze

Arcane
This game is even worse than I could've imagined. Bioware reached a whole new low there. And I bet those fatalities are done via QTE of some kind.

On the eve of destruction, in a forgotten page of
I would really like to hear more about the combat. The shape shifting druid sorceress using her abilities to turn into a spider and bite on the dragon's legs to distract it looks to add a whole new element to combat. Allowing fighters to actually maneuver around opponents and climb large one is something that cRPGs have really lacked compared with PnP. I wonder if grappling is involved. I didn't get a fatality vibe - it seems as if the entire battle was a set up for the real finishing attack - which makes sense. If this all turns into quick time events then color me unimpressed and very, very angry.

The sex is optional. At least, that's what I was trying to comfort myself with while reading this. I cannot help but worry how that adolescent and cringe-worthy attitude will carry over into other character interactions (i.e. Fable). This has pretty much guaranteed my playing as a chick as to avoid all this, because you know that Bioware is going to practically force those girls onto you (I know that sounds really gay, but remember we're talking about a goddamn computer game here). It's announcements like these that I can't help but think the crawlers were right in their recent battle against the LARPers in that one thread in General RPG. It's nice to see Shacknews coming from this at an angle for people over the age of 19. Bioware can try to make it significant any way they want but it won't work because what they're trying to do here is just a cop-out. So what the book of spells you woo the mage with allows her to gain abilities? You know what would work just as well? "Hey mage, here's a book. Read it because it has some new spells." Are the women in Dragon Age unable to level up unless you place your throbbing LARPing penis inside them? If so, I'm naming my first character Larry.

Despite two of the article's claiming the contrary, they didn't describe character interactions at all. They described glittered up fetch quests.

Dark and gritty was tired when they first started using it. Now it's exhausting. Saying that this tremendous burden has been placed upon your shoulders right after you set down is not a new thing to do. Words shouldn't even be wasted trying to make it sound significant. Here's a world, you have to save it, now on to the game...

kris

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Our objective in this short session was to find a particular item with another member of our party. We walked through a forest, encountering and collecting items, before coming across a wolf and a cave containing giant spiders in a fight.

I hope this isn't like fable were treasure and items just lies around everywhere in the gameworld. Were you can dive in the water... and find a book. Were you can walk by the road and find a chest... that contains a pair of normal pants.

DemonKing

Arcane
I predict within a few years Bio games will have dropped combat, inventories and other CRPG staples to concentrate on allowing players to enter into EXTREME sex situations with a variety of races through dialog trees reduced to single words such as "Oral", "Doggie" etc

kris

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Of course, this encounter angered the jealous redhead, thus creating a dynamic love triangle. Laidlaw offered us the choice of who the player should eventually "get with." Someone yelled out "redhead!"--no doubt a devout fan of Allison Hannigan--and I wanted to leave.

Wait! I am only getting two chocies? This can't do, I will be buying Alpha Protocol or the witcher 2 instead. I need at least 5 chicks to sex up in my hentai games.

"It is cold in my tent," said Morrigan, inviting the hero in for fantasy fulfillment. Laidlaw chose the "let's see what happens," option, and then there was a brief tease of sex, set to what sounded like Celine Dione.

If Im reading this right, you can choose if you want sex or not. So, okay for me.

This has pretty much guaranteed my playing as a chick as to avoid all this, because you know that Bioware is going to practically force those girls onto you (I know that sounds really gay, but remember we're talking about a goddamn computer game here).

I'm going with a totally oblivious macho barbarian. "Can you help me with...something?", 'YAR, I'LL HELP YOU... TO KILL BETTER, LETS TRAIN". Denying sex starved women what they want= fun

Clockwork Knight said:
This has pretty much guaranteed my playing as a chick as to avoid all this, because you know that Bioware is going to practically force those girls onto you (I know that sounds really gay, but remember we're talking about a goddamn computer game here).

I'm going with a totally oblivious macho barbarian. "Can you help me with...something?", 'YAR, I'LL HELP YOU... TO KILL BETTER, LETS TRAIN". Denying sex starved women what they want= fun

The question is will they let you do this? Mass Effect, while giving you choices, ultimately forced you to play a certain personality type. That did fit the story, and it would have been hard passing off Zapp Brannigan as the first human member of the ultra elite Spectrodes - or whatever they were called (even though it would have been infinitely more fun). I'm hoping that this is more in line with a true RPG, having a wide range of character types. However, if they continue down their current route, especially if they personally believe all the extreme/dark/gritty marketing crap, they might not let you play barbarian type characters or clueless Paladins, and so as a paragon hero/villain your choices could boil down to:
- "I love you, let's have sex."
- "You're hot. Let's have evil sex."
- "I'd rather have sex with someone else."
- "I'm too holy to have sex."
- "Exit is the only option."

aries202

Erudite
If you look here:

http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/view ... 135&sp=135

and then read Imported_Beer's post about what happens if you play a romance both a female and a male pc trying to it actually sounds interesting. You will, apparently, have a difficult and hard time getting the romances up and running....

And that's how it should be; I don't think there is any second or third chances....here. And this is as it should be, imo.

Having seen actual gameplay elements and reading some of the previews, my hopes for this game actually went a up a notch or two. And my advice would be to really really make it clear that the choice of origins matter all the way to end in the game. Not that they would need it or take it, I suppose...

edit:

And in all Bioware's game from Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect and now Dragon Age: Origins, you have the choice to develop a romance, a love interest, that might or might end with you having sex, depending on what choices you make in the dialogue in the game.

And Bioware makes, of course, Biowarian games. Is this really a surprise to you - still :?:
:!: :?: :!:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"ultimately forced you to play a certain personality type."

No.

DA sounds like a solid if not not perfect game. But, ME2 is winning out, currently...

elander_

Arbiter
aries202 said:
And in all Bioware's game from Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect and now Dragon Age: Origins, you have the choice to develop a romance, a love interest, that might or might end with you having sex, depending on what choices you make in the dialogue in the game.

And Bioware makes, of course, Biowarian games. Is this really a surprise to you - still :?:
:!: :?: :!:

Bioware knows what nerds want in their crpgs.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If you played the game more than once or even once and paid attention you woudl this. I'm not gonna try to 'prove' this to you as your perception is what it is. Nothing I say will change it.

If you say so.

I wasn't really knocking it for having that quality, as in, I didn't think it was a bad game for it, even though I didn't particularly enjoy it. I am saying that it would be detrimental to take the same attitude with Dragon Age, which is in a whole different ballpark of RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom