Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Gamebanshee interview with Feargus Urquhart

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment

Gamebanshee scored <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/feargusurquhart1.php">an interview</a> with Feargus Urquhart, the guy that needs no introduction.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>GB: As someone who has been directly involved with the Fallout franchise over the years, what is your honest opinion of Bethesda's version of Fallout 3? Given the game's design and the success it has enjoyed, do you think it will affect the way your team approaches Fallout: New Vegas?
<br>
<br>
Feargus: My honest opinion is that they chose the right direction. I could nitpick some of the game systems and how they did certain things, but they would really be nitpicks - and you would probably get a very similar list out of Todd Howard. I can say that I've really enjoyed playing Fallout 3 and the thing they absolutely NAILED was the feeling of actually being in the Wasteland. Ultimately, that is what Fallout is all about; it's about being in that world and running around in it and that's what Bethesda did with Fallout 3.</blockquote>
<br>
Ultimately, that is what Fallout is all about; it's about clicking your mouse buttons, sitting on your chair and watching the screen and that's what Bethesda did with Fallout 3.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>GB: Aside from the Aliens RPG, Alpha Protocol, and Fallout: New Vegas, do you have any other unannounced titles in development? If so, how long have you been actively developing the title(s)?
<br>
<br>
Feargus: We have been working on another title for the last four months that we can't talk about yet. It's going really well though and the team is really excited. It's using our own internal engine so we are really able to do things our way based upon everything we've learned about making RPGs in the past ten to fifteen years. Don't take that as a silent slam on Unreal - it's not. Our engine, like Unreal, is a tool and different jobs can be done better with tools that are made for them. There are things that our engine may never do as well as Unreal, but likewise there are things that our engine will do that will be better than Unreal. </blockquote>
<br>
Sounds like something big and I'm looking forward to the day they'll be "allowed" to talk about it.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Jaesun</b>, <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33482&start=0">who just recently made a thriving thread about it</a>

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Sometimes I wonder if people give those kinds of answers "because they have to" or because they genuinely believe them.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Feargus: My honest opinion is that they chose the right direction.
I wonder if some of you are still naive enough to believe that his spin-off of Failout3 won't be a yet another piece of shit courtesy of Obsidian after these Feargus words.
Though no wonder looking at what he did to F2.

they absolutely NAILED was the feeling of actually being in the Wasteland.
Areas that look like theme parks, overpopulation - real Wasteland.

Ultimately, that is what Fallout is all about; it's about being in that world and running around in it and that's what Bethesda did with Fallout 3.
New Vegas is fucked.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Areas that look like theme parks, overpopulation - real Wasteland

Another shitty argument from skyway. I suppose you'd rather have to walk for 30 minutes to get from town to town?

MetalCraze

Arcane
No I will use fast-travel - after all it's what the cool kids do today because even when you have to walk for 5 minutes the filler is so boring that there's no other choice.

And a shitty argument? Excuse me - the guy who wanted to counter my argument about how this isn't a wasteland by actually agreeing with it tells me that? Woah!

denizsi

Arcane
The new project is Wasteland. Feargus is out to rape Wasteland. NWN1 meets Fallout 3. Fuck it.

Jaime Lannister said:
MetalCraze said:
Areas that look like theme parks, overpopulation - real Wasteland

Another shitty argument from skyway. I suppose you'd rather have to walk for 30 minutes to get from town to town?

As far as your impression of skyway's arguments go, you're exactly being counter-skyway. Fallout 3 does look like anything but a wasteland. It's more like people moved out before the bombs, and then moved back in after the bombs. That's not what a wasteland is. It was more like Capital Wasteland Theme Park.

Still, it's a bombed city alright. Unlike Oblivion the take-a-walk-in-the-woods simulator, they did pretty good with the visuals in F3, though.

Data4

Arcane
Well, I think it's pretty clear what's going on here.

Those filthy mongrels in Maryland have implanted a microchip in Feargus' brain so that if he says anything negative about Fallout 3, he'll instantly have an aneurysm and die.

Those bastards!

Deleted member 7219

Well, he's right. Fallout 3 was a very good game, a turn around for Bethesda after the absolute shit they produced with Oblivion and SI. Praise given where praise is due.

The Wizard

Educated
Matt7895 said:
Well, he's right. Fallout 3 was a very good game.
it was tolerable at best. i have no fucking clue how you people can look at this piece of wasted potential and say"hey, it's a pretty good game". no, it fucking isn't. this mishmash combat system sucks balls, dialogue is retarded and shallow, so are of course the non player characters. you could go on and on on how much it did wrong, the only small sparks being things like that rocket launch thing that doesn't do jack shit, but would have been nice if it actually did. the only bits that could have been good just got thrown in at last minute, maybe to say they got a deep gameworld as to lure morrowind and fallout 1/2 players, orbecause even they needed a break from all the shit they put into the game and just needed to work on something that doesn't fucking blow.

and you suck, too. damn, why do you exist?

i have no fucking clue how you people can look at this piece of wasted potential and say"hey, it's a pretty good game"

that's the problem, people expect the game to be equal or better than 1 and 2, and doing so they can't appreciate the game as it is.

Add to that the generalized butthurt over it "stealing" the name Fallout 3 from Van Buren (R.I.P) and you get the "total shit" attitude. F3 flaws are viewed in the most cynical way possible, and 1 and 2 flaws are overlooked or treated as qualities.

For one, people overrate TB combat in Fallout. While it's very well presented (yes Arcanum, I'm looking at you) it's not that tactical, you and your enemies take turns shooting at each other and you hope no one scores a 300 damage critical. For tactics, you can run into a previous room to lure enemies so you can finish them off one by one and that's it.

tl;dr: the three fallouts have qualities and flaws (though we at the codex agree on 3 being the ugly sibling), but age, cynism and rose tinted glasses make us see 3 as a piece of shit that should never been born. Which is retarded, because it's existence doesn't make the previous titles suck in retrospect; an at the very least it gives us hope of getting a better sequel in the future.

FlameShield.jpg

Black

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
but age, cynism and rose tinted glasses make us see 3 as a piece of shit that should never been born.

No, that's thanks to Fallout's design. You know, what makes Fallout and such. Age, cynicism, hatred and bloodlust are just bonuses.

they can't appreciate the game as it is.
Badly written akshun rpg with boring combat, terrible plot, bugs, shitty characters?
Oooh, I get it- it's "it's good for what it is" talk. No thanks.

Denial of reality will not make it go away

if we live expecting developers to churn out a new Torment, only frustration and butthertness awaits. And claiming 3 has bugs is really weird when the other 2 are giant bags of bugs (they get fixed eventually)

/
devil.jpg

The Wizard

Educated
well, too bad i played fallout 2 only fucking once, and that was 2-3 years ago. never touched the first one. surprise, nigger. so, sorry, the only glasses i am wearing help me to see farther than just 2 meters.

Situk

Novice
maaan, so old posts. but i like reading. it is like trasfering yourself to those old good times ))

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Thread necromancy by a bot? This shit is scary.

Oh, and...
Feargus Urquhart said:
I could nitpick some of the game systems and how they did certain things, but they would really be nitpicks - and you would probably get a very similar list out of Todd Howard.
Read between the lines people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom