Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IGN's best of E3

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: Mass Effect 2

<a href="http://games.ign.com/articles/987/987759p1.html?_cmpid=ign108">Another shitty list</a>, but perhaps enough to keep you entertained. Wondering what got the "Best RPG Award"?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Mass Effect 2</b> is a refinement of one of the best Western RPGs ever made. The choices made in the first game have a major impact on the sequel, creating a level of dynamic storytelling never before seen in gaming. The visuals are already superior to the original and the action has been streamlined to create a more immersive experience.</blockquote>
<br>
...streamlined to create a more immersive experience? What does that even mean?
<br>
<br>
Runners-Up:
<br>
- Alpha Protocol
<br>
- Dragon Age
<br>
- Some Japanese shit
<br>
- Console Crap
<br>
<br>
Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 are also Runners-Up in the "Best PC Game" category.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</a>

baronjohn

Cipher
Monolith said:

Kind of like Deus Ex was streamlined into Invisible War.

Texas Red

Whiner
Wasn't IGN the major suck up to Bioware? The website that gave the incredibly shitty Jade Empire a laughably retarded 9.9/10? If I was a betting man, I'd say they have a secret contract between each other.

The level of idiocy in the promise that the sequel will have actual consequences is almost too much. "Yes the first game didn't have any significant consequences for the empty choices you made, BUT the sequel will have them! There's no reason not to believe us!"

And look how the retards flocked to the promise even though evidence in the form of the first game is right before their eyes.

EDIT: I can't even force myself to look at the shit Biowhore is throwing around. They are the worst RPG company in the industry and their gameplay devoid RPGs have perhaps a more negative impact than JRPGs. They've been making exactly the SAME RPG since NWN 1 OC with the same boring characters, with the same absence of ideas or ambition and with the same dungeon crawls with beyond belief easy combat.

Deleted member 7219

Dark Individual said:
Wasn't IGN the major suck up to Bioware? The website that gave the incredibly shitty Jade Empire a laughably retarded 9.9/10? If I was a betting man, I'd say they have a secret contract between each other.

The level of idiocy in the promise that the sequel will have actual consequences is almost too much. "Yes the first game didn't have any significant consequences for the empty choices you made, BUT the sequel will have them! There's no reason not to believe us!"

And look how the retards flocked to the promise even though evidence in the form of the first game is right before their eyes.

EDIT: I can't even force myself to look at the shit Biowhore is throwing around. They are the worst RPG company in the industry and their gameplay devoid RPGs have perhaps a more negative impact than JRPGs. They've been making exactly the SAME RPG since NWN 1 OC with the same boring characters, with the same absence of ideas or ambition and with the same dungeon crawls with beyond belief easy combat.

Let me guess; you're the type who hasn't played a single Bioware game since Baldurs Gate but thinks he is qualified to give an opinion on games like KOTOR and ME.

Texas Red

Whiner
Matt7895 said:
Dark Individual said:

Let me guess; you're the type who hasn't played a single Bioware game since Baldurs Gate but thinks he is qualified to give an opinion on games like KOTOR and ME.

The only game I haven't played from Bio is ME.

Tell me, why should I play a Bioware game? I want roleplaying but the only RP you can have is either lawful good or chaotic retarded-evil. I'd like a challenge or something stimulating, yet Bioware games are entirely devoid of these aspects. One of my favorite part of RPGs is character building system but it's simplistic as best and absolutely unnecessary since there's no difficulty. If it's just for the story or their next gen cinematic experience, well, there are far better alternatives.

Probably what bothers me the most is that they don't have any vision. Obsidian took every game with a new approach, a castle building system here, influence system there, spirit mechanic here and trade business again there. With Biowhore it's ALWAYS the exact same clone with some slight deviations.

X40c

Novice
While I agree on the matter of limited and crappy roleplay options in ME, I still believe that it's one of the titles more worthy of this award.
The hippy do-gooder, undecided centrist and retarded jerk are the only roles ME allows you to choose and its the one of the more crappier features in the game, next to the combat, but otherwise the story is quite good, especially with today's standards. The lore could be somewhat more intelligent and the characters you meet are not well enough developed to be very memorable but this said its one of the better RPGs released in the mainstream these last five years. It may not stand up to the good olde classics, but its one of the very few series I'm brave enough to feel optimistic about.
Hmm... Now, to think about it, I haven't heard that whole lot about ME2.

Black

Arcane
one of the best Western RPGs ever made

Oooh, how cute. IGN editorial stuff sure knows how to suck dicks and spit bullshit at the same time. Kind of an art.

IGN's best of E3
Well, it's an advertisement site. Somewhat difficult to take it seriously or consider it news when you're half expecting to read "But wait, there's more!" after every paragraph... :roll:

Pegultagol

Erudite
How can it be ever more streamlined? All you do is point the reticule, click, rinse, and repeat, with the same replenishing universal ammos and shield. Perhaps they changed the inventory system or from what I've seen tweaked the circular interface that accesses the biotics but nothing about how it would translate to the PC port so it is a moot point.

I did enjoy the first one's overall plot, but the Reapers were not truly defeated and may feature yet again prominently in the second one as well, right?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Turned on g4 for some unknown reason and they were doing e3 coverage, they gave best of show to Drakes Fortune 2: Among Thieves. ME2 and Brutal Legend got runner up

Rhalle

Magister

It means (exactly as I predicted in some other thread on it a few months back tbh), that the removal of crap filler they used to pad the already short game last time around will be removed to make for a better game!

They don't even have to pretend anymore; they are doing us a favor by removing the filler that tried to cover up the fact that the first game lacked content.

Now they can still look good by making a game just as short as the first (if not even shorter), but there is the illusion of them doing us a favor by removing the garbage.

Of course, the garbage existed in the first place for exactly this purpose.

Lurkar

Scholar
Funny thing about IGN, they gave the hilariously abysmal 50 cent game "Bulletproof" twice the score of any other reviewer. A game that garnered 2's and 3's everywhere else got almost a 7 on IGN.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Lurkar said:
Funny thing about IGN, they gave the hilariously abysmal 50 cent game "Bulletproof" twice the score of any other reviewer. A game that garnered 2's and 3's everywhere else got almost a 7 on IGN.

Why is that funny?

When yr a corporate news-release copypasta site, run by ad-execs more interested in continued income from advertisers then in honest reviews, it's exactly the sort of thing you should expect.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Every time I read comments on an IGN article I die a little inside.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom