Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info VTM: Bloodlines Weekly Update #1

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Troika has released their first weekly update on the development of VTM: Bloodlines and its features at the <a href="http://vnboards.ign.com/Bloodlines_Inn/b22439/63469125/?0">Bloodlines Inn</a>. Here's the post in full:
<br>
<blockquote> <b>1. I would like to know if you came to a decision about the other
<br>
possible paths of thaumaturgy. Is it still on your wish list? Will you
<br>
allow us to choose between different paths like Movement of the Mind, or
<br>
will the Path of Blood be the only one selectable?</b>
<br>
<br>
It's still on the wish list, but right now we're really focusing in on the path of blood. We've developed some really cool effects for this
<br>
that you'll start to see us unveil in the coming months.
<br>
<br>
<b>2. How much flexibility is there going to be in feeding? I assume more combative characters can probably still just grab people and feed from
<br>
them (at the expense of the Masquerade), but will there be systems in place for seduction? How about sneaking into houses to feed from sleeping mortals?</b>
<br>
<br>
There is a system in place for seductive feeding through dialog as well as a combat feed. We've made feeding into much more of a game-within-a-game than allowing the player to simply sneak into a
<br>
mortal's house and feed on them while they are sleeping, though. You will need to carefully watch people's paths and behaviors, or use your abilities to lure them into isolated areas, to try to feed on them when they are in opportune areas, either in darkness or away from other NPCs.</blockquote>
<br>
I don't like the sound of Anne Rice's vampiric 'seduction' ideas getting into the game, preferring a more 'monsterous' vampire over the Buffy/Angel crossover homoerotic slash fan fiction that passes these days for best selling novels.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Patrick</b>!

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I think it would constitute more of a subtle approach to feeding than a seduction per se. I hope it won't reach the point of trying to romancize NPCs just to suck their blood.
look.gif

Voss

Erudite
Allowed for? It always seem to be the angle to shoot for (except among the less socially acceptable clans)

Theres a fair amount of contempt for the Smash & Grabbers and the ones that fed on sleepers, in the rule & setting books (and especially the novels). The Camarilla side of V:TM has always been very heavy on social interaction, of various sorts. Politicking, seduction & scheming being at the top of the list.

This is why I don't think it'll make for a good CRPG- it demands a level of interaction beyond the format.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
The whole idea of watching the NPC and trying to lure them away from other NPC's sounds rather catchy. Of course it depends on how complicated Troika will make the process. It'd be no fun to just say "let's step away into that corner for a second, shall we?".

Nightjed

Liturgist
i wonder how often youll have to feed because it could get VERY boring if you have to go arround seducing ppl every 30 minutes and i agree with Exitium, i preffer a violent (as in fast) blood sucking rutine so i can get back to the game

mr. lamat

Liturgist
Toreador
don't drink from a whore
your masquerade is poor
please use it more
that's what it's for...

WolfCatBot

Novice
Umm, with seduction, you ask before suckings, meow? :D

Because, it would be nice if you don't have to feed on someone without them wanting it... :)

Sol Invictus

Erudite
When V:TM Bloodline comes out and I get it, I intend on taking the 'fast and the furious' route to playing the game. Just as I'd hate to be slowed down by the meaningless seduction routines, I hope they do include a fast and violent way of doing it.

Crimson

Novice
I dont know, but its dark and moist and im scared
Well if you have played the PnP rutes that the game hase (I have) then you woude know that the masqurade is a sacret thing and geting caught braking it means somthing like instant death or a lot of pain and feeding iso ne of the things that coude get you in trubel.

So feeding can be done in a lot of ways and seduction is youst one of them.

I hope that it wil be VERY diverse so seducing, dominating or youst grab some one in a dark corner is ther...

Nightjed

Liturgist
actually, for what ive read from the pnp site you dont break the masquerade killing humans as long as there is no indication that vampire did it.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Crimson said:
I hope that it wil be VERY diverse so seducing, dominating or youst grab some one in a dark corner is ther...

it doesnt matter how diverse they make it, if you have to do it often its bound to get repetitive, if they use the blood system in the exact same way as in pnp and there is a respectable ammount of combat you WILL have to feed often.

if they force you to work for your food theyll have to make blood points much more useful (or just give you a lot more of em)

Voss

Erudite
They're making it a requirement for every discipline, so in fact, you'll be using it even faster.

But, it should be noted that in PnP killing victims isn't really desirable. Or even necessary, actually. Its more like popping a soda and just slurping a bit off the top.
Humans recover after a few days, so its more like a renewable resource.

Its also why dominate is so useful, feed, make them forget and move on...
Mild anemia attack.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Voss said:
They're making it a requirement for every discipline, so in fact, you'll be using it even faster.

But, it should be noted that in PnP killing victims isn't really desirable. Or even necessary, actually. Its more like popping a soda and just slurping a bit off the top.
Humans recover after a few days, so its more like a renewable resource.

Its also why dominate is so useful, feed, make them forget and move on...
Mild anemia attack.

It is like some game publishers do.

Dominate them with hype and feed from their wallet 50$ make them forget with the next hype and move on.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
mr. lamat said:
Toreador
don't drink from a whore
your masquerade is poor
please use it more
that's what it's for...

Hahahahha.. Yeah, I'd much prefer vampires follow a serial killer style route. Prey on the fringes of society, the outcasts like whores, homeless people, and so forth. Even the vulnerable ones that serial killers go for would be fine.

Voss

Erudite
Now theres a fun immortality.
:shock:

What'd be the point?

Spazmo

Erudite
Voss said:
What'd be the point?

Now don't even try and tell me you've never wanted to play a game that lets you murder hobos. I've been waiting years to get my mass hobo homicide game and you're not going to take it away from me. If they do it right, you can steal a patch from every dead hobo's blanket and then knit yourself a Quilt of Hobo Doom that you wear as a cloak that lets all the hobos around know that they're just fucked.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Voss said:
Now theres a fun immortality.
:shock:

What'd be the point?

Hobos and whores don't need to be seduced, for one. Isolate them from the others, kill, feed. Quick and easy - and much less odds of getting caught!

Spazmo

Erudite
Nightjed said:
that would be fun but wouldnt last more than a 1 or 2 hours

Nonsense. It can take a whole day to murder the really wiley hobos. First off, it just takes a long time to bake the baitcake, not to mention lacing it with hobo poison. You can't just walk up to hobos and stab them anymore. The art of hobo murder has evolved quite a bit since those primitive days. There's a certain finesse required nowadays if you want to murder the really good hobos.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
mr. lamat said:
Toreador
don't drink from a whore
your masquerade is poor
please use it more
that's what it's for...

Bizet would be proud.

Feeding on the fringes of society is the logical thing to do. Very few people will miss whores, drifters, etc., so less caution is needed and there's not much of an investigation if they turn up dead, unless there's a lot of them or a pattern. Start killing families in the suburbs and the police will be on your tail faster.

I imagine there will be other sources of blood in the game as well, such as blood banks, but maybe at a higher financial cost.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
no self-respecting vampire would want to feed on syphillitc or heroin rich blood. it'd be like going to the grocery store and asking for some 'asian flu satay chicken' or 'bse-grade beef'. the rich would use blood banks along with slaves kept in the basement. the rest... probably lonely soccermoms.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom