Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GMR Taken by Silent Storm

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Nival Interactive; Silent Storm

The boys at GMR have posted a <a href="http://www.gmrmagazine.com/article2/0,4364,1506015,00.asp">three paragraph review</a> of <a href="http://www.silentstorm-online.de/">Silent Storm</a> giving it heaps of praise and a score of <b>9/10</b>. Here's the review in its entirety:
<br>
<blockquote>If you've ever played Jagged Alliance 2 and thought "Hot diggity, if this took place in World War II and was in 3D, it would rock," here is your dream game. For the rest of you who didn't understand that reference, just know that Silent Storm is a 3D turn-based tactical game taking place during World War II.
<br>
<br>
The core game involves guiding six soldiers (either Axis or Allied) through missions ranging from simple "defeat the enemy" to complicated affairs like "assassinate the general" or "protect the scientist." Since the game is in totally destructible 3D, you can blow up walls, shoot through floorboards, or hurl guys through windows.
<br>
<br>
Fact is, despite some minor points (long enemy turns, mediocre voice acting, semiwonky camera), this is simply the best turn-based game on PC right now. Whether you're old school or new school, it's not to be missed.</blockquote>
<br>
It's also interesting to note that review mentions that the game is <b>better than</b> UFO: Aftermath and <b>not as good as</b> Jagged Alliance 2. I am inclined to agree.

Voss

Erudite
Seriously? I think it whacks JA2 upside the head with an RPG-6.

Sure the PKs are a little dull, but there much better than giant bugs and rocket rifles...

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I like Jagged Alliance 2 better because the mercs have more personality, the added strategy layer and more free form approach to beating the game. None of the soldiers in Silent Storm hold a candle to guys like Magic, Reaper and Shadow who all are super cool. Jagged Alliance 2 with Silent Storms engine would kick everything's ass.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Azael said:
Jagged Alliance 2 with Silent Storms engine would kick everything's ass.

I will have to agree with you there. JA2 is definitely the king of TB strategy games, IMO. As far as the bugs thing goes, I tended to play in realistic mode so there were no bugs. Besides, beating the queen bug was so friggin' cheesy if you knew the proper way to do it. Unfinished Business was nice simply for the easiness of modding it. Plus it was nice to see Tex return. "Howdy, partner." ;)

EEVIAC

Erudite
The camera stuff can be fixed pretty easily, and the long turns weren't really a problem for me. But yes, more personality in the squad members, or the ability to roll you're own party would have been good.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Otaku_Hanzo said:
I will have to agree with you there. JA2 is definitely the king of TB strategy games, IMO. As far as the bugs thing goes, I tended to play in realistic mode so there were no bugs. Besides, beating the queen bug was so friggin' cheesy if you knew the proper way to do it. Unfinished Business was nice simply for the easiness of modding it. Plus it was nice to see Tex return. "Howdy, partner." ;)

Yep, having all my guys covered in elixir made the whole thing a piece of cake. I even gave weak guns to some of my not-so-good mercs just so that they could get a chance to target practice, not to mention a really cheap way to boost Agility (running in Stealth mode in front of the blind bugs).

I think Silent Storm has better combat though.

Voss

Erudite
I found the 'strategy' layer in JA2 pretty annoying (and rather pointless)
'Oh man, I have to sleep again?' and 'Shit I have to run back and reinforce the worthless militia at the SAM sites (or retake them, because they almost always lose to the elite troops no matter how much you train them)'
Bleh.

As for personality... eh. The one-liners in both games get somewhat tiresome after the first time.

The combat in SS kicks the pants off of JA, and thats where it really counts for a tacitcal squad game.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
JA2 is better than Silent Storm in several areas, the merc personality being a good one. JA2 also had the ability to revisit map locations you'd already done and do whatever there you needed to do. In Silent Storm, if you forget something like your solider's favorite weapon because he got knocked unconcious - you're screwed.

IIRC, JA2 also had dialogue trees, which I like.

Voss

Erudite
trees? You clicked on them, they spouted dialogue until they hit their default statement.

SS doesn't leave much reason to go back- different design approach- every mission gives more clues, pushing you toward the end. Just don't forget your guns, and you'll be fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom