Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News GenGamers scores Sacred screens

Whipporowill

Erudite
Tags: Ascaron Entertainment; Sacred

<a href="http://www.gengamers.com" target=_blank>Gengamers</a> has posted <a href="http://65.75.129.150/~gengame/html/sacred.html"target=_blank>13 exclusive screenshots</a> of <a href="http://www.ascaron.com" target=_blank>Ascaron</a>'s <a href="http://www.ascaron.com/gb/gb_sacred/index.html" target=_blank>Sacred</a>. Though the jury is still out on if this is just another supposed "clone" or even, as sometimes mentioned, the "killer" of a game that shall remain nameless, it does look somewhat interesting. That no screenshots, as of yet, show off either the gui or dialogue might is also worth noting.
<br>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Even if it's not the "Diablo 2 killer", I think this game looks awesome and am willing to give it a go. Every new screenshot I see only makes me hungry for more. :)

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
It looks interesting, but I think Beyond Divinity is more worthy of anticipation. Anyone agree?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I'll give them both a try, but unless Larian can come up with some severe improvements over DivDiv, I think Sacred looks to take the prize. Not saying DivDiv was a bad game though. I really enjoyed it. It just didn't have too much in the replay factor and what I've seen of Beyond Divinity shows not much promise of that either. We'll just have to wait and see though. I can say that Sacred already has my money while I'm probably gonna wait after BD has been out awhile and I've seen some reviews before plopping moolah down on it.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
I'm not qualified to analyze DivDiv's gameplay, but I heard it was more than hack&slash, and B:Div sounds like it'll continue in this vein. While adding more interactivity, which is an awesome thing to have!

Both are gonna have randomized quests, right?

Whipporowill

Erudite
BeDiv will have randomized quests in the battlegrounds, apart from that I don't think there's any quest generator in the game - thank god.

Oh and yeah. They are both action RPG's, but DivDiv had a lot of redeeming qualities that I believe Sacred might lack (which looks more like a straight action title thus far).

Voss

Erudite
Redeeming qualities?

I'm actually curious. I couldn't get past the demo, which failed to impress me.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Voss said:
Redeeming qualities?

Well, there's the general humour (tongue-in-cheek) in the game. Then there's a rather good character progression - mix and match, I played a lockpicking fighter with lots of ranged skills, from what I remember (uh). Also, there's some quests that you have to solve yourself, as there sometimes isn't an apparent solution. Being able to move stuff around makes for a few interesting moments too - hidden levers et c.

I certainly liked it - somewhat of a mix tween Diablo and Ultima. Which is rather odd concoction, but works in the end.

DIPthong

Novice
Whipporowill said:
Voss said:
Redeeming qualities?

Well, there's the general humour (tongue-in-cheek) in the game. Then there's a rather good character progression - mix and match, I played a lockpicking fighter with lots of ranged skills, from what I remember (uh). Also, there's some quests that you have to solve yourself, as there sometimes isn't an apparent solution. Being able to move stuff around makes for a few interesting moments too - hidden levers et c.

I certainly liked it - somewhat of a mix tween Diablo and Ultima. Which is rather odd concoction, but works in the end.

Except when you could use your mouse pick up and move items out of a store that were on display, while the owner does NOTHING to stop you, so long as you don't actually have your character pick it up until you're out of sight of the owner. :)
I'll admit, once I discovered that I became a bit munchkinny once and a while.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
While I did like DivDiv, I don't want more of the same. The only difference between BeDiv and it's predecessor that I see are randomized battlegrounds with randomized quests. Other than that, it's like complete sameness. Like I said, I will wait and see.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That and the combat system will be more like Baldur's Gate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom