Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News KotOR continues to sell big

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: BioWare; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

The NPD group have released figures for the top 10 best selling games for the last week of January. <a href=http://www.swkotor.com>KotOR</a> is, unsurprisingly, the only RPG still on the list which is surprisingly bereft of <i>Sims</i> titles with only three of them taking up spots 1, 3 and 8.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>1) The Sims: Makin' Magic Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts $26
<br>
2) Call Of Duty - Activision $48
<br>
3) The Sims Deluxe - Electronic Arts $20
<br>
4) MS Age Of Mythology - Microsoft $34
<br>
5) MS Zoo Tycoon: Complete Collection - Microsoft $30
<br>
6) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Rockstar Games (Take 2) $22
<br>
7) Delta Force Black Hawk Down: Team Sabre Expansion Pack - NovaLogic $20
<br>
8) The Sims Double Deluxe - Electronic Arts $40
<br>
9) Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic - LucasArts $43
<br>
10) Halo: Combat Evolved - Microsoft $41</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
The funny thing about <i>The Sims</i> is that the unstoppable river of money it sends EA's way would effectively allow them to publish any game they wanted to without worrying about how profitable it'd be. EA could be taking chances on really different, even avant-garde games that could change the way we look at gaming. The funny part here is that they don't. <i>Battlefield Vietnam</i>, anyone?
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://ve3d.ign.com">Voodoo Extreme</a>

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Wow, KOTOR is still in the top 10? And they say turn-based games don't sell :D

Seven

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Come now, don't you feel all warm and fuzzy with the market being driven by MS, EA, and Bio? It spells gud shtuf for the future!

Such rank sarcasm is so unbecoming. :wink:
At least when the end comes we'll all be too old to care.

DIPthong

Novice
Role-Player said:
Sad, but true. When i'm old i'll be more worried with where are my teeth than where Bioware is in the charts.

Man the world will be ripe with destruction and devestation by that time...where we all have to live in, oh some kind of shelters at that point, maybe a vault-like thing. We'll probably also have some way of making our own food/water supplies so we don't have to go out into the nuclear um...what's the word...wastes. Oil and stuff will probably also be in short supply too. War, war never changes... ;-)

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Zoo Tycoon is a popular game with moms and teenage girls, and the only other game series on the market that appeals to most of those two groups (I said most) is The Sims. Therefore sales for those games are pumped up simply due to the quantity of those two groups that are constantly discovering the addiction on a daily basis.

I hope that makes sense to you. Not sure I used the right words to convey what I meant. I hate when I do that. It gets annoying as hell sometimes. Especially when I know what I want to say but then type something else. Get's frustrating. Okay, I'll shut up. :shock:

Greenskin13

Erudite
I can't see how EA keeps making money off a crippled engine. I have no idea why it takes those dumb Sims 45 minutes to pass each other in a hallway.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Because walking passed someone is HARD!! Never mind the issues you get when you try to send two of them to bed at the same time. Oh noez!! It's too hard!!

Yeah, I still play it. I like the uhh... architectural lessons I gain from this educational piece of software. Yup.

DemonKing

Arcane
Spazmo said:
The funny thing about <i>The Sims</i> is that the unstoppable river of money it sends EA's way would effectively allow them to publish any game they wanted to without worrying about how profitable it'd be. EA could be taking chances on really different, even avant-garde games that could change the way we look at gaming. The funny part here is that they don't. <i>Battlefield Vietnam</i>, anyone?

Well in EA's defence the Sims and BF1942 were, when first released, reasonably original and unique - we just tend to forget that in the deluge of expansion packs and sequels that have followed the initial success.

Saying that there's no excuse for the endless updates of their sporting games which seem to be repackaged each year with only a few minor updates, or their complete abandonment of the CRPG genre when they were known in the 80s for releasing some truly great titles.

Nightjed

Liturgist
why would they risk their river of money doing something new when they can just remake the river producing agent until they drop ?

EA loves making sequels/xp packs :p

i wonder what kind of effect will the sims2 have on their clients if they really make it more complex like they said they would

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Don't knock EA's sports games1 For the most part, they rock!

DemonKing

Arcane
Volourn said:
Don't knock EA's sports games1 For the most part, they rock!

I'll take your word for it Volourn. I'm strictly a FPS/Strategy/CRPG man.

I'm just a little sceptical of a company that churns out endless titles where the only difference in each game's title is the year at the end (eg Madden 2002, 2003, 2004 etc). Makes you wonder how many real improvements/innovations you see with such short development spans.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Not much. Some twinks, updated rosters, and some gameplay or play mode options (like the recent owner mode addition to the EA sports games which is awesome).

Greenskin13

Erudite
Nightjed said:
i wonder what kind of effect will the sims2 have on their clients if they really make it more complex like they said they would

Nothing would make me laugh harder than to see The Sims 2 completely alienating its fanbase.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Volourn said:
Not much. Some twinks, updated rosters, and some gameplay or play mode options (like the recent owner mode addition to the EA sports games which is awesome).

Fuckin' best typo of the year award! BOOYAH!!! OMGLOL!!!

Psilon

Erudite
Looks like Rob Corddry is going to do a Daily Show segment on The Sims pretty soon. Might be amusing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom