Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Sacred look-see at AVault

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Sacred

There's also a <a href="http://www.avault.com/previews/preview_temp.asp?game=sacred">preview</a> of <A href="http://www.ascaron.com/gb/gb_sacred/index.html">Sacred</a> at <a href="http://www.avault.com/">AVault</a> for those who can't read enough about this soon to be released game. You get to read stuff like:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The gameplay is based on an essentially linear plot that involves a series of related quests and optional side missions, both of which you usually receive from the local folk. Most of the side quests are timed, with the townsperson typically giving you a period of a day or so in which to complete the task. Some of these deadlines make sense, in that many of the problems you’re charged with solving include rescuing people who’ve been kidnapped or beset by horrid beasts. The missions that drive the main plot, however, don’t seem to be timed at all. I tested this by deliberately standing around and waiting for three or four game days before setting off on a journey I’d been told to make as quickly as possible. When I arrived at my destination, nobody yelled at me for my tardiness, so I felt free to undertake any optional assignment that came along.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Most are timed? That could be annoying in multiplayer. No time to divide up the <i>ph4t l3wt</i>, I have to deliver this pizza while it's fresh!
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gengamers.com">GenGamers</A>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Seeing timed quests like that is really a refreshing change though. And, as the guy said, it lends a bit more realism to the whole shebang. It's not like the group of orcs attacking that farm over there are standing in position waiting until they see the PC and then yelling "GO!", thus starting their campaign of terror. No. If someone tells you orcs are attacking their farm, well, by god, orcs are attacking their farm at that very moment and you better get your butt over there if you wanna save the place. No two ways about it.

Oyarsa

Novice
Or maybe that'd be even better - save the princess OR the fishing village?

This I would like.

There were timed quests? Were they in the demo? I don't remember being in a hurry at any time except for the girl beset by wolves*, and I given that I was able to go in prior to getting the quest and slughter the wolves without them touching the girl or her horse I suspect there is some kind of trigger to start their action.

*Even receiving the quest and immediately rushing on horseback to the site I never saw girl or her horse alive. Anyone find differently?

Voss

Erudite
I did get the girl alive. You pretty much have to push through the random encounters on the way. It helps if you're on horseback too..

Theres also a timed quest north of the main castle- theres a garden thing with a fountain (and a teleport gate) and a woman that wants a message delievered to the Silver-whatever town. She gives you 3 days.

Oyarsa

Novice
Voss said:
I did get the girl alive. You pretty much have to push through the random encounters on the way. It helps if you're on horseback too.

That's what I tried, but as I got through the main pack I always saw one of those ugly striped wolves coming from offscreen where the girl's body would be found . It seemed as though that particular group (you get the group eliminated message) immediately attacked whatever was nearby when I came into view of one of its members.

Curious.[/b][/i]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom