Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Interplay are releasing Planescape Torment on DVD

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Interplay; Planescape: Torment

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002TOKQIG/ref=nosim/auk-001-21">Interplay are releasing Planescape Torment on DVD</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Plane Scape Torment (PC DVD)
<br>
by Interplay
<br>
Platform: Windows Vista / XP
<br>
No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
<br>
Price: £17.99 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
<br>
<br>
This item will be released on October 30, 2009.
<br>
Pre-order now!
<br>
Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk. Gift-wrap available. </blockquote>
<br>
Thanks <b>Wyrmlord</b>!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
...And the other AD&D BIS-published/developed titles as well. All on amazon.co.uk, not listing on amazon.com so far

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm curious as to what version will be in that DVD. The 2CD version has compression problems that can lead to corrupted files and game crashes. I hope they included the 4cd version.

Metro said:
Price is a bit excessive, no?

And every penny goes to Interplay.

Of course, you fucktards will buy it anyway, thus further propagating the decline of industry.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Hümmelgümpf said:
I thought Atari's license to publish D&D titles was exclusive. Would be funny if Caen got sued by them as well.

That was my initial though, as well, especially seeing that there's no mention of Atari on the PST box. There is, however, mention of Atari on all the other DnD re-releases currently listed on Amazon, so my guess is it's probably kosher.

It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility to think that Herve has got confused by the clusterfuck of licensing issues surrounding DnD, its settings and specific game titles, though.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Stereotypical Villain said:
Metro said:

:? :( :evil:

FACT: The price is excessive.
It's not a matter of what the game is worth. It's a matter of what people are willing to pay for the product. I'd be surprised if very many people actually buy a 10-year old game at that price.

Emotional Vampire said:
Metro said:

And every penny goes to Interplay.

Of course, you fucktards will buy it anyway, thus further propagating the decline of industry.

This is why I fear that the problems in the gaming industry are not personal but structural. It isn't that big monoliths like Bioware/Bethesda/Vivendi are searching for profit at the expense of art. That happens in all creative industries. I've posted many times that things will improve with market segmentation, and I stand by that, but I fear that the market structures at present aren't well designed to take advantage of market maturity when iut arrives.

If this was music, film, print or TV, then Interplay would still be getting most of the cut. But Avellone would be getting direct royalties for writing the thing, as would the other creatives. Fuck, when I used to act, if I did an advertisement - a 2-bit fucking AD, with like 2 lines or less - I would not only get my fee at the time, but as a 'creative' I'd get a royalty cut every single time they did a repeat run a few months/years down the track. Same with film and tv - it's called residuals, and you get them if you do any work on the creative end of things. Sounds lazy, but it is what balances out the higher risk and intermittent work that the creatives (using the term loosely - not pretending that I was an 'artiste' or anything) get. The creatives get residuals (and good pay per hour), whereas the techies get job security, 9-5 employment, better sick leave and holiday conditions and all the benefits of a permanent career.

Music and literature works the same way.

Now the trade-off is that in those industries you don't get hired as a writer before you've even put pen to paper. Sure, if you're really well-established you might get commissioned to produce numerous scripts per year, but the choice to actually run with those scripts is made on quality. In the high-art end it is basically a tender-process. You can have the most awesome track record but you still need to put up to get that script made into a movie or a play.

So imagine it done this way:
Avellone still gets the writing gig, not because he is the pre-established inhouse writer, but because he puts forward a fucking amazing script. He chooses a team of writers to work under him, and they all get artistic credit for their bits. Ultimately, the final script doesn't get accepted 'til its good enough', and the studio may knock the script back completely after its done, maybe even sending him back 3 or 4 times, then handing it to someone else, than another. Not unusual for films to go through several different script writers before getting the final script.
- the designers themselves are on commission, but still working on the basis of 'show us what you can do, each time'. Their past record gets them an audition to showcase their stuff, but they still need to show they've got inspiration for this particular work.

So way less job security at that end....BUT...when the product comes out, it isn't Herve's fucking Interplay's PS:T - it's got 'written and designed by Chris Avellone' plastered all over it, just like the Lord of the Rings films had 'Peter Jackson' first and foremost, with 'New Line Cinema' in the background. Any time bits of it get used for merchandising or re-releases, each creative who had to go to the work of actually auditioning or putting forward a script or something that could have been knocked back each gets a cut of the royalties for evermore, unless they agree to sell them to the studio for more cash up front.

Those who don't have to audition/present showcase work etc, just get paid as per usual.

Better work from the creatives, balanced by way more recognition, ownership of their art (needs their permission to be used for other purposes - usually the producer just buys those rights off them, but at least they get the cash from selling their IP), and a cut of future royalties regardless of what happens to the producer. Everyone else pretty much works as is. Gamers start following great designers and writers rather than studios who may or may not have retained the talent from the previous game/

Sorry, too drunk and ranting to give this argument properly, but I think it's worth a shot. Maybe I'll come back and edit it when sober

humorguy

Novice
If it gets Interplay up and running again, then I am all for it. Also, all contracts run out, maybe Interplay had a 5 year contract and after that all rights went back to Interplay?

DriacKin

Arbiter
humorguy said:
If it gets Interplay up and running again, then I am all for it.

Why? They're a shell of their former selves, and no longer have any of the talented developers that they had 10 years ago.

deuxhero

Arcane
Can I get this shipped to the US? My Morrowind copy has a PEGI rating on it (no idea how that happened, works find though, may be the fact that I alreddy got the base game from someone and only used the xpacks though).

1eyedking

Erudite
GarfunkeL said:
That would actually be a good system Azrael.
Some developers like Sid Meier, John Romero and Peter Molyneux have implemented this to an extent (to the point of both getting undeserved recognition, albeit for different reasons), minus the royalties.

Royalties are gud.

Avu

Liturgist
Why give money to interplay when none of those money go to the people that actually made the game? They talk about intellectual property but how can a company have any intelligence?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DriacKin said:
Stereotypical Villain said:
Metro said:

:? :( :evil:

FACT: The price is excessive.
It's not a matter of what the game is worth. It's a matter of what people are willing to pay for the product. I'd be surprised if very many people actually buy a 10-year old game at that price.

Exactly. I re-bought Fallout 1 and 2 from GOG for $6 total. Monkey Island is about $5 on various digital download websites. Neither of those old games are any less worthy than Planescape. Granted, there are additional costs associated with distributing retail but $35+ for a game that was released in '99? Hell, a lot of posters here usually scoff at the notion that some people actually still buy games legitimately rather than torrent them.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Yep, I think gog hit my sweetspot with their pricing. I'm quite happy to pay the 5$ for the service I receive, but 30$ for box... lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom