Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameSpy promotes Geneforge 2. Who would have thought?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Geneforge 2

I don't know why, but <a href=http://www.gamespy.com>GameSpy</a> decided to post a very positive <a href=http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/march04/geneforge2pc>review</a> of <a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge2/index.html>Geneforge 2</a> praising the gameplay and giving it <b>4/5</b> rating.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>If you haven't tried one of Spiderweb Software's games yet (my condolences if this is the case), let me tell you about a guy with a vision for self-sufficiency and an elementary design philosophy that, since 1994, continues to reel in the skeptics and roll out believers. Someone big really ought to hire this Jeff Vogel guy. After all, he's making a living and bringing in accolades with technology that looks like it crawled out of a documentary on gaming relics.
<br>
<br>
What makes Geneforge 2 work is Spiderweb's familiarity with the same kind of mechanics that turned gaming series like Ultima and Wizardry into legends. The formula that Mr. Vogel and Co. have mastered here is, as before, how to combine fast-paced exploration with smart surprises that keep you guessing. Do yourself a favor and try this game, because as they say in Arkansas, "It's the gameplay, stupid." </blockquote>
<br>
Well, I couldn't have said it better myself: It's the gameplay, stupid!
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gengamers.com">GenGamers</A>

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I don't know why, but GameSpy decided to post a very positive review of Geneforge 2 praising the gameplay and giving it 4/5 rating.

Maybe someone over there read the pcgamer article and figured that if pcgamer liked it.....we oughta like it? Nice to see some good media coverage on Spiderweb and their games though, these guys deserve it.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Someone big should hire this guy? So Jeff Vogel will be hired by BioWare now? Is that what he's saying?

KONSPIRACEE!

Anonymous

If Jeff Vogel gets hired by anyone, the world is just another step closer to exploding from stupidity.

Anonymous

He'd better. Or else we'd have to get the angry mob of pesants out.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
Hey... isn't this a sign of the apocalypse or something?

And the Prophecy is clear - the End of Times shall be brought unto this world when the great God Beast Bioware releases a quality CRPG, with an emphasis on RP.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Did anyone notice this:

GameSpy said:
About one-quarter of the way into the story, Geneforge 2 suddenly opens up considerably, taking a cue from games like Gothic and allowing you to join various factions, which in turn shape the outcome of the story.
How stupid is that?

Peacedog

Novice
How stupid is that?

You gotta love short term memory. I don't know what it is that causes so many reviewers to cite recent examples and then act like said examples pioneered or evolved the relevant gameplay mechanic (which they often do, if inadvertantly). It can't all be because they weren't gaming way back when.

Anyway, Vogel has already done work for one of the big boys. He did some work on Mech Warrior 4, and wrote a selection of hints & tips on it for CGM I think it was. He seems to fantasize about working with a bigger team and budget, but I believe he's said several times it all comes back to him not answering to anyone (in essence), and he prefers to keep it like that.

It would be nice if more big developers engaged in the time honored tradition of copying neat things from other games and copied some of the neat things from his (which he in turn copied from the Ultimas, and even Fallout).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom