Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Arkane on Arx Fatalis and the Future

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Arkane Studios; Arx Fatalis

In an <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4212/from_new_to_arkane_ten_years_of_.php?page=1" target="blank">interview with Gamasutra</a>, Arkane's Raphael Colantonio reflected on the development of <b>Arx Fatalis</b>.
<br>
<blockquote>"I think it was the most true game that we've worked on and done," says Colantonio. "It was exactly what I wanted to do. There were too many bugs, I know that. But still I am very proud of it." At a time when games were made by teams of 30 people or more, Arkane created Arx Fatalis with only nine people. "We sweated blood on that one."</blockquote>
<br>
Very inspiring. Too bad they spent the next seven years not making anything worth playing. But all is not lost as they have another blood-sweating opportunity on the way.
<br>
<blockquote>"Wait for next announcements," says Colantonio. "It's gonna be exactly what we want to do. Not a compromised, marketed game. We've been lucky to find a publisher that supports us and understands this kind of game and is supportive of them. The people who like the kind of games that we like are going to be really excited.
<br>
<br>
"There are companies that do first person shooters," he continues. "There are companies that do sports games. We do first person immersive games with depth. That's what we do. </blockquote>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamasutra.com/">Gamasutra</A>

Jora

Arcane
Arx is one of my favorite games. Great atmosphere and interactivity. I still remember getting out of the goblin prison, running away from the giant tunnel worm, using telekinesis to brew a potion in the inn without angering the bartender, levitating my way to the ice dragon before the plot required it, making potions in the laboratory, the echoing voices of the liches in the final hall of the crypt...

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
"Wait for next announcements," says Colantonio. "It's gonna be exactly what we want to do. Not a compromised, marketed game. We've been lucky to find a publisher that supports us and understands this kind of game and is supportive of them. The people who like the kind of games that we like are going to be really excited.

Wait for an announcement is what people have been doing for six years.

But, hey, I am still hyped about Arx 2. Or any other game that follows Ultima Underworld. As I was hyped in 2002 when I heard about Arx. If I am honest, I think chances are slim that something like Underworld will ever come again, and it will hurt when Arcane finally go under, like others before them (I have seen many similar stories begin like that, and usually they don't end well). But wouldn't it be an improvement if now they had at least begun work on Arx 2 (as it had appeared when they had licensed the Source engine, several years ago ..), and not this constant teasing that work will begin as soon as they've finished another stupid action game that their publisher wants first (and which their fans don't give a shit about).

On second thought, It actually worries me a bit when he said how they worked on Biococks 2 and now they got the opportunity to start on a second project, something different. Which other, exploitable IPs does 2K hold? I'll hold down my expectations.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
GlobalExplorer said:
Interesting, but doesn't go with that

first person immersive games with depth

comment. Except, if .. No, that's too retarded to even think of.

Why not?
I mean, okay, it wouldn't be a strategy game, obviously, but an RPG/FPS-game in the X-COM universe. I see no reason against that. Assuming that the game wouldn't suck, that is.
Also, that would give the "with depth"-term a whole new meaning ;)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually liked Dark Messiah because I like fantasy first/third person slashers. A bigger, more open-world game with more RPG elements using Dark Messiah-like combat would be awesome.

Martin

Educated
I found Arx Fatalis to be very poor on all fronts and pretty disappointing in the end.
I didnt know their team was so small at the time though....still.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
JarlFrank said:
I actually liked Dark Messiah because I like fantasy first/third person slashers. A bigger, more open-world game with more RPG elements using Dark Messiah-like combat would be awesome.

Yes.
Also less fucking HP bloat.

The ending levels were pretty terrible too. All those one-hit-kill death knights and shit. And the boss battle was pretty anticlimactic. Still, the parts of the game where you just adventure and kill stuff are really fun. Pushing orcs and goblins down a cliff never gets old.

Too bad they didn't release the SDK. Who knows what fun mods and levels it would've spawned. They actually had the SDK ready for release, but Ubisoft decided against releasing it (kkkonspiracy??).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom