Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Ever heard of Star Citadel?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare

Welcome to our newest program, <b>Internet Rumor of the Day</b>. Today we feature <b>Star Citadel</b>, which is according to one of the <a href=http://www.gamertalk.biz/viewtopic.php?t=1021>research analyses</a>, is <i>teh futare</i> of <a href=http://www.bioware.com>Bioware</a> and the eagely anticipated IP that everyone's talking about:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Serial Number: 76580301
<br>
Registration Number: (NOT AVAILABLE)
<br>
(words only): STAR CITADEL
<br>
Standard Character claim: Yes
<br>
Current Status: Newly filed application, not yet assigned to an examining attorney.
<br>
Date of Status: 2004-03-15
<br>
Filing Date: 2004-03-11
<br>
<br>
LAST APPLICANT(S)/OWNER(S) OF RECORD
<br>
<br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<br>
1. BioWare Corp.
<br>
<br>
Address:
<br>
BioWare Corp.
<br>
4445 Calgary Trail, Suite 200
<br>
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5R7
<br>
Canada
<br>
Legal Entity Type: Corporation
<br>
State or Country of Incorporation: Canada
<br>
<br>
<br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<br>
<br>
GOODS AND/OR SERVICES
<br>
<br>
<br>
Computer game software; prerecorded motion picture and television films and shows featuring characters from a computer game; audio tapes, videotapes and video and audio discs featuring characters, voices and soundtrack from a computer game
<br>
International Class: 009 </blockquote>
<br>
So, Star Citadel, huh? Feel free to submit your own design ideas. Remember, Bio has certain standards so you must have: a minimum of 4 items to collect throughout the game, a hot romance or two, dual wielding, save-the-world quest, space kobolds, and an evil, but cool character who says "[charname], I'm your father!!!"
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Rumors :)</A>

Jed

Cipher
Now, Vault Dweller, you know that's not fair...the NWN OC didn't have even have the possibility of kobolds until five or six patches in!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Well, it's hard to implement kobolds correctly, everyone knows that. They are very tricky beasts, that's for sure. I know for a fact, that orginally it was the space kobolds who were supposed to attack that ship in KOTOR, but Bio couldn't do them properly, and they were replaced by the Sith later on. It's a shame though.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I wonder, is Star Citadel the subtitle of KOTOR2, or is it a completely different game (e.g. the one Mr Lamat is working on)?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Well, it does sound Star Wars-ish, but wouldn't the name belong to LucasArts then?

Edit: Yep, it would

STAR WARS®: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC™: © 2001 LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC. © 2001 Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM or ® as indicated. All rights reserved. Used Under Authorization. LucasArts and the LucasArts logo are registered trademarks of Lucasfilm Ltd.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
an evil, but cool character who says "[charname], I'm your father!!!"

Loook! Whoooo's yer daddy! - Darth Mack Dawg Vader

And it sure sounds like a sci-fi game. I have a hard time believing they'd release Kotor2 as well as a completely unrelated one, so it's prolly the subtitle then.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well if its not kotor 2, then it will surely be an epic space saga, where you have to collect 4 items to graduate space pilot school, then you have to collect 4 more items to fix your spaceship, then you have to collect 4 doodads to save the known universe!!!1! (the unknown universe can piss up a rope :P)

Of course in this futuristic world everyone will still use swords and mellee weapons as blasters are too hard to code... I mean firing a blaster only once in every gimp 6 second round is friggen retarded... I mean everyone has blaster repelant they spray on, but no ones invented sword repelant yet... yeah, that makes sense :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
VD's correct. I doubt this has anything to do with KOTOR2. Bio wouldn't be registering it otherwise. Come on people, use common sense.

Anyways, this isn't completely a rumour, since there's something factual to back it up. However, rumours will surely come from this news... hehehe...

It sure doesn't sound like thier "high fantasy" game that they have mentioned. This could be the seocnd yet to be announced game...

Spazmo

Erudite
Let's suppose for a moment that it's not the subtitle for KotOR2 and is, rather, just a sci-fi CRPG from BioWare...

Would someone care to explain to me why the fuck BioWare ends up being the only developer making the game I want to play? Of course, we know diddly squat about this game so any assumptions made so far are futile at best, but it'd really annoy me if the only sci-fi RPG (post apoc stuff aside) coming anytime soon would be from BioWare.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Spazmo said:
Would someone care to explain to me why the fuck BioWare ends up being the only developer making the game I want to play?
Nobody can deny Bioware! You will play their games! Resistance is futile! :lol:

Of course, we know diddly squat about this game so any assumptions made so far are futile at best
Well, we do know that it would feature the 4 items quest, and space kobolds, and stuff. :) Overall, I agree though, if it's indeed a sci-fi RPG and not some fantasy setting that uses words like star and cosmic in a non scientific sort of way, then it's a very surprising and bold move indeed.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Surprising but understandable, as i'd assume they'd feel confident enough to do one after KoTOR. Wheter it's actually good and worth it, or if it's going to be BG in space (this assuming its not KoTOR related), will have to be seen.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Urgent Update: It seems that the previous coverage was incorrect, according to a high-ranking Bioware official, the name was registered incorrectly. It should read a 5-Star Citadel, and it's a hotel tycoon game set in the medieval time. :lol:

Capelworth

Novice
Vault Dweller - I wouldn't say that according to me, it is BioWare's next game. I simply said that it might be. And don't chide RPGDot for posting too many rumours -- that BioWare filed for a new computer game trademark is a verifiable fact. Since BioWare has never previously filed for a U.S. computer game trademark that hasn't eventually been announced as a game, I believe that it's newsworthy and a good scoop for RPGDot over other, more popular gaming sites. Besides, I asked Dhruin to post it if he found it newsworthy and was happy that he found it to be. :wink:

Also, as many have said, BioWare does not hold a trademark on Knights of the Old Republic, so it would appear doubtful that it's the KotOR 2 subtitle.

POOPERSCOOPER - The only other game title that BioWare has trademarked in the U.S. is "Jade Empire." That one was filed January 13, 2003. I don't know whether it was in production then. Some other companies--at least one whose name starts with an "I"--don't register trademarks until VERY late. Heck, I started looking at game company trademarks, in part, to find out what Jefferson's name was going to be, but as far as I'm aware, no filing was ever made for that game, which was believed to have been in development. Likewise with Van Buren.

These are all of the live U.S. trademarks filed by BioWare Corp...

JADE EMPIRE
BIOWARE CORP
BIOWARE AURORA ENGINE
BIOWARE ODYSSEY ENGINE
THE BIOWARE INFINITY ENGINE
STAR CITADEL
BW
BIOWARE
OMEN ENGINE
CODEBABY*

* This is BioWare's spinoff company

Sammael

Liturgist
Strange that Bioware doesn't own the trademarks for Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark... NWN is WotC property, but I didn't think those two were.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Star Citadel has to be KOTOR 2. I mean, could you imagine BioWare having the balls to work on TWO projects at once? No, no, no! They need their entire team (or at least 75 people) working on any one project as a minimum!

Ibbz

Augur
Star Citadel has to be KOTOR 2. I mean, could you imagine BioWare having the balls to work on TWO projects at once? No, no, no! They need their entire team (or at least 75 people) working on any one project as a minimum!
Actually...
Rob Bartel said:
First of all you have to recognize that, at 175 employees and 3-5 separate projects, BioWare doesn't abide by a single unified vision for where and what we want our games to be in the future. Some teams are working on console titles, some are on PC titles, some are taking approach x, some are taking approach y, some are focused on this aspect of the larger problem while others have focused on other aspects. In other words, don't read too much into Darcy's statements in that interview or Georg's comments in this thread, or mine either, for that matter. We're all approaching the notion of game development from different angles and it will all come together by the time our games make it into the hands and hard drives of our fan community.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Capelworth said:
Vault Dweller - I wouldn't say that according to me, it is BioWare's next game. I simply said that it might be. And don't chide RPGDot for posting too many rumours -- that BioWare filed for a new computer game trademark is a verifiable fact. Since BioWare has never previously filed for a U.S. computer game trademark that hasn't eventually been announced as a game, I believe that it's newsworthy and a good scoop for RPGDot over other, more popular gaming sites. Besides, I asked Dhruin to post it if he found it newsworthy and was happy that he found it to be. :wink:
I agree, it's absolutely newsworthy, and I wasn't making fun of you or RPG Dot. I didn't say "according to you", I said "according to your research", there is a difference. The facts you presented are very straightforward and could mean only one thing. The "RPG Rumors" thing was a reference to a few discussions we've had before. Don't take anything I've posted as an attack :wink:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
This *is* news. The rumours are us guessing what it all means. Hehe,

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
To hell with that. It's a goddamn conspiracy and you know it, Volourn. Those fuckin' ninjas are hiding out somewhere in your home ready to pounce at a moments notice. None of us are safe. Locking your doors won't do you any good. It's over for us all. Biowhore takes over the world. News at eleven.

kthxbye

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Do not mock ninjas!

Ninjas.jpg

Ninjas.jpg

5.jpg

Ok, nevermind. Mock them at will :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom