Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Sacred is just all right with the Discworld

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Ascaron Entertainment; Sacred

<a href=http://www.thediscworld.co.uk>The Discworld</a> have their <a href=http://www.thediscworld.co.uk/sacred.htm>review</a> of the latest, hottest action CRPG, <a href=http://www.sacred-game.com/>Sacred</a>. They generally approve of it--much like everyone else--and Sacred scores <b>73%</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>On the plus side the game’s graphics are rather impressive and the engine is capable of handling some rather detailed graphics. It’s also rather gory and blood flows whilst an assortment of limbs get hacked off to make the combat a bit more satisfying than maybe its simplistic nature deserves. There are times when due to the sheer amount of enemies attacking you at any one time this detail gets lost and it’s hard to make out what’s going on but thankfully this doesn’t happen to often and is something that can be put up with.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Not that us poor North Americans would notice. God knows we need to be protected from the evil lure of exaggerated blood in death animations.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>

Limorkil

Liturgist
One of those annoying reviews where the game loses points for not being the sort of game the reviewer wanted to play. Can't people accept the action-fantasy (action-rpg whatever you call it) genre for what it is rather than marking the game down because it lacks depth and character interaction? It wasn't that many years ago that most reviewers marked crpgs down because they were used to action games and crpgs seemed slow-paced and overly complex. Now the standard seems to be that any game with a fantasy/sci-fi setting that has character development options MUST be like a Bioware game to get a decent review. As if that is a good standard. Talk about swallowing the hype.

Discworld don't have a clue - and I base that opinion on more than just this one review.

Voss

Erudite
No reviewer really has a clue.
Their job demands it really- offering a personal opionion up to a horde of opinionated people with wildly differing tastes as if its something meaningful requires a fairly heavy disconnect with reality.

Limorkil

Liturgist
Well I never really understood why writing a decent review is so difficult, until I realized that the only people writing reviews are people too stupid to actually do something worthwhile themselves.

It's not like I expect too much. All I really need to know is:
- What type of game is it?
- Is it a good game for that type of game?
- Are there other games that are similar to this game so that I can work out whether this game is likely to be one I am interested in?
- What sort of machine do you need to run it?
- Should I get it now or wait for a patch to fix initial problems?

What I don't want is a lot of BS along the lines of:
- "This is an action game so it loses points for lack of character interaction and depth"
- "This is a detailed RPG so it loses points for lack of action and for being too complex"
- "Half-life 2 will be the best game ever, therefore this game is not so good"
- "I marked the game down because even though it is good, it is nothing new"
- "I don't like RPGs, so this game loses 10 points before I even start"
- "The gameplay is great but the graphics suck so don't even bother"
- "Every other site thinks this game is the best ever, so we do too"
- "Multiple-choice dialogue where every choice gives the same result maketh the rpg"
- Etc.

jimkirk

Novice
game revewing is like movie revewing .. the revewier basicly tells you his/herr biased opinion ...

the only way to really choose what game to buy is to play the demo .. and many times you would still make a mistake demos dont tell youm how buggy a game is

guess what baldurs gate was buggy when it shipped (i bet it still is)

we are all paying beta testers after a game shipps

Malak

Liturgist
"I don't like RPGs, so this game loses 10 points before I even start"

This is one of the reasons I never pay attention to reviews, for anything. My friends and I try the new games ourselves, and we tell each other and the rest of our friends all the things that you said you wanted to hear. One of these days I plan on doing reviews, and not retarded ones like we see today on all the big sites. Gamespy is probably the worst.

jimkirk

Novice
mulak just wait till they start sending you press junkets and other assorted "gifts/junk"
hoow much better the reviews will be by the rewards they give you "wink"

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Limorkil said:
- Should I get it now or wait for a patch to fix initial problems?

Actually, I try not to mention bugs in my reviews for one simple reason, I don't want to go back and rewrite the thing every time a patch is released that my negate something in my review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom