Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda's WoW style MMO

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks

Bethesda has sought to hide some info that's apparently come out as a result of the court case with Interplay. <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23626">According to Duck and Cover</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>At this point, we know that Zenimax Media, Bethesda's parent company, opened up an MMO division head by Dark Age of Camelot's Matt Firor and have been working on an unannounced game. What we didn't know was that Bethesda let slip some information in the court case against Interplay, and now they have filed to redact those statements so their competitors can't find out about it.
<br>
[...]
<br>
The big trade secret?: Bethesda has "tens of tens of millions of dollars" and "close to a hundred people" working on a "secret" "World Of Warcraft" type MMO and they don't want their competitors knowing about it. They've been working on it pretty heavily since 2007 after assigning the team in late 2006. According to testimony given by Bethesda, the development timetable for an MMO is 4 years, so that would mean they would be releasing this game next year.</blockquote>
<br>
Of course, every monkey's uncle has known Bethesda has been working on an MMO for a few years already but you can follow the link for some interesting court transcripts.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Kill thousands of mudcrabs to level up and pay 14.95$ a month for it? Hell yeah!

Stoiv

Educated
guy A: "Hey! Let's make a game to compete with WoW"
guy B: "Cool! What kind of a game?"
guy A: "Let's make it exactly like WoW! because people aren't totally fed up with that shit!"

Guys A and B applied for a job in MC Donald's two years later.

deuxhero

Arcane
Even Blizzard said making a game like WoW was a bad idea, as anyone who liked WoW would *gasp* keep playing WoW..

Norfleet

DarkUnderlord said:
and now they have filed to redact those statements so their competitors can't find out about it.
Bit late for that now, isn't it? The Internet never forgets.

Mortmal

Arcane
Turisas said:
Kill thousands of mudcrabs to level up and pay 14.95$ a month for it? Hell yeah!
Oh you are optimistic, a next gen mmorpg deserves a next gen monthly fee, 14.95$ ? the oblivion mmorpg deserves more than that, thats why you will have cash and item shops , want to customize your character ?want new horses barding ? 2$ the haircut5$, the shiny barding fit for a king.Thats already the case in SOE mmorpgs, and bethesda is likely as greedy, they are certainly not making games to please the roleplaying crowd.
When i started mmorpgs it was for UO and everquest, i expected new games would be even more interactive and living breathing world, but they evovled into some sort of static theme parks , the kind i was visiting when i was a kid.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Emotional Vampire said:
Turisas said:

I'm afraid it will be killing thousands of supermutants.
Doubtful, this time. It's been in production since 2006, waaaaaay before Interplay's work commence deadline. Zenimax might be idiots, but to sink tens of millions into a title you don't own the rights is way too risky.

Don't worry though, it'll come around eventually.

LazyD

Liturgist
.Sigurd said:
Today indie developers haves most attention with these sandbox MMOGs than these themeparks WoW-like.
People are tired of themeparks, people want something new, not exactly the same shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1k3hsv0tfU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsUi80jOE4

I played Darkfall on release and its a Great game.. with even Greater grind... its mostly 95% grind 5% pvp..

MO is fail b/c it lacks a lot that darkfall has... but yet.. it does have nigger dong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JqiiO2LM7A

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Stoiv said:
guy A: "Hey! Let's make a game to compete with WoW"
guy B: "Cool! What kind of a game?"
guy A: "Let's make it exactly like WoW! because people aren't totally fed up with that shit!"

Guys A and B applied for a job in MC Donald's two years later.

people love wow, like tens of millions, making another wow is the holy grail of mmos

Andhaira

Arcane
It is but the logical next step for Bethesda. Their games are pretty sandboxy anyway.

denizsi

Arcane
Ho ho ho, they're scared to shit that their own super secret Fallout Online project will be an abortion thanks to Herve Caen. If they've invested so much in it already, they just might get hit relatively hard by Herve getting away with rights to FO. Yay.

What might be even better is that they settle the issue, Herve aborts his own FO and lets Bethesda carry on with it and get lion's share of monthly royalties from Bethesda's MMO. Fallout fans will be screwed either way anyway.

aries202

Erudite
I don't understand why Bethesda and Zenimax Media tries to hide this? To me, it has been pretty clear that Bethesda and Zenimax Media would at some point in time be working on a MMO. But why does everyone try to emulate WoW?

garren

Arcane
Patron
aries202 said:
I don't understand why Bethesda and Zenimax Media tries to hide this? To me, it has been pretty clear that Bethesda and Zenimax Media would at some point in time be working on a MMO. But why does everyone try to emulate WoW?
Cuz they want a piece of that playerbase silly.

denizsi

Arcane
Because they're probably making a Fallout MMO, relying on Herve to fail to comply with the contracts so they could go ahead with it. They couldn't possibly be developing a Fallout MMO without infringing upon the MMO rights of Interplay and even if they did, I imagine they'd hardly have any case to argue in the court today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom