Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BioWare once again delivers

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

Read <a href="http://www.cw.ua.edu/bioware-once-again-satisfies-with-mass-effect-2-1.2154879">this article</a> about how Bioware once again satisfies with Mass Effect 2.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Was the game perfect? Did it have its flaws? Maybe, but any missteps were easily drowned by incredible storytelling and immersion the game offered. Bioware had once again created a masterpiece.</p>
<br>
Since ME2 triggered positive responses even on the Codex - is it true? Is ME2 the new Masterpiece, a bright and rising star on the dark and cloudy RPG sky?
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Equipment can still be upgraded, but instead of having hundreds of options with unique advantages and limitations, there is a more refined hierarchy of equipment. A better gun is a better gun. As nervous as that made some of us, we should have long ago learned that the Bioware team are masters of their craft. They won’t let us down.</p>
<br>
All those hundreds of options sucked anyway. Let us instead focus on how Bioware are masters of their craft and how their games are inherently awesome.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">The downside of this, however, is that there are fewer planets to explore, and mineral gathering, which is now essential to gameplay, relies on a frustrating and time-consuming planet scanning mini-game.</p>
<br>
I can see how those mini-games are entertaining for 12 year olds. Unskippable? Hmmpf.
<br>
<br>

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Equipment can still be upgraded, but instead of having hundreds of options with unique advantages and limitations, there is a more refined hierarchy of equipment. A better gun is a better gun. As nervous as that made some of us, we should have long ago learned that the Bioware team are masters of their craft. They won’t let us down.
All those hundreds of options sucked anyway. Let us instead focus on how Bioware are masters of their craft and how their games are inherently awesome.

A better gun was a better gun in ME1, too. The "hundreds of options" are just various guns with a small variation in damage, range, overheating, etc; you'd still just use the one with better stats. What could be called "unique advantages and limitations" would be the armor and weapon accessories, which are now upgrades.

Raapys

Arcane
Well, the game is actually a bit entertaining. It's hard to say why exactly, because it does no one thing great; the shooting is still crap and the fights boring and predictable, the equipment system is crap and the armor and weapons are boring( I did like one weapon, but that was a collector's weapon I think ), the research system could have been good, but it's poorly implemented, the dialog is typically bioware, the character development is nonexistent, etc.

Pretty much every single feature in the game could have been massively improved, and the game is completely dumbed down. Yet despite this, it does manage to be somewhat entertaining( though I've a weak spot for sci-fi myself ).

That said, I'd in no way call the game an RPG. Not even an aRPG. I'd be hesitant to call it a shooter too, because the shooting part is so badly made and, fortunately, there's alot less shooting than pure fps/tps games. It's more like an adventure game with some shooting and elements from other genres thrown into the mix.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Raapys

"It's more like an adventure game"

True dat. Mass Effect now has lots and lots and lots of Puzzles and Riddles and nya. :roll:

Raapys

Arcane
Black Cat said:
@ Raapys

"It's more like an adventure game"

True dat. Mass Effect now has lots and lots and lots of Puzzles and Riddles and nya. :roll:

I wasn't thinking about the puzzles feature of most adventure games, but rather the 'interactive story and exploration' part of adventure games. Sort of similar to Omnikron.

Elzair

Cipher
So they delivered shit once again? Honestly, Bioware has not released a decent game since BGII.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Since ME2 triggered positive responses even on the Codex - is it true? Is ME2 the new Masterpiece, a bright and rising star on the dark and cloudy RPG sky?

It can't be because ME2 is a shooter not an RPG. Otherwise it's a decent game, which would be improved by a skipable cinematic.

Black

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
even on the Codex
Even? You don't really have to try to trigger positive OMG OMG OMG on the Codex.

kris

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Equipment can still be upgraded, but instead of having hundreds of options with unique advantages and limitations, there is a more refined hierarchy of equipment. A better gun is a better gun. As nervous as that made some of us, we should have long ago learned that the Bioware team are masters of their craft. They won’t let us down.

A better gun was a better gun in ME1, too. The "hundreds of options" are just various guns with a small variation in damage, range, overheating, etc; you'd still just use the one with better stats. What could be called "unique advantages and limitations" would be the armor and weapon accessories, which are now upgrades.

I actually used a older gun in ME2 because it had more ammo.

What do you guys mean with interactive story adventure-style?

I remember Sierra adventures. Story is sparse with choices that make the difference, and the finale is there to show you what you did, and it can end with your tragic demise. Sure the system may sometimes feel rough, but it was pure non-linear story-lines.

So there were good and bad choices, and HARD and fain hints to take to know which is which.

Does this gamey even subtly remind of that, in the whole Shepard's death brouhaha?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom