Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Venetica

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tags: Venetica

<p>Venetica is the first RPG of a German adventure game developer. You're playing the daughter of Death and have to stop the Undead Lord who tries to enslave nations with necromancy.</p>
<p>The game is very action-focused and&nbsp;has a good story with interesting characters, but the RPG elements are light and the game suffers from a multitude of bugs and&nbsp;performance&nbsp;problems.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=196">Read our review here</a>.</p>

Murk

Arcane
Is this a Deutch only release or is there an English version too?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
There's an English version coming soon (or already out, if you like to get your games from Reloaded and Razor).

Cassidy

Arcane
From what I've read, Am I right to assume this is something like a Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver with stats and graphical aids for combos?

Also, is the "flashing sword" graphical aid disabled at the highest difficult level like in The Witcher?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
It's not like any of the LoK games because there's no jumping and/or platformer levels. But you could compare the combat to it, yes.

The "flashing sword" is more of a white glow on your wrist and it appears on enemies too. I haven't tried it on the hardest difficulty so I dunno about that.

denizsi

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
It's not like any of the LoK games because there's no jumping and/or platformer levels. But you could compare the combat to it, yes.

I was about to raise an eyebrow to that and then remembered the wolf-form jump puzzles in the original game.

Cassidy

Arcane
I'd say it's better than The Witcher gameplay-wise, even if story-wise it pales compared to it. Also it is definitively better than Ass Effect 2 because the combat is more dynamic and with more approaches than a pop-a-mole without guns, and it's arguably better than Dragon Age for those who value the sum of gameplay, story and C&C over only C&C.

Still, of course, Risen is undoubtedly the best recent game that can add a "RPG" to its label, but due to my disdain for RTwP combat systems, I may be a bit harsh to games that use such system, and unlike Planescape:Torment, are just shit and happen to give enough illusions to trick part of the Hivemind to think they are good for what they are and then to flip-flop a bit later.

My opinion is simple: this one is a decent action game with a few RPG elements that could've been better if the environment was a little more interactive(there is just no reason for a so action-focused game to lack jumping, IMO). It has nothing outstanding but it's not another piece of shit either.

elkston

Novice
"Achievement unlocked: killed a negro"

Is that caption really necessary? I'm surprised the editors allow this quasi-racist stuff to slip by. I thought you kept the hate isolated to the (cesspool) General Discussion forum.

Having this stuff in your feature articles is really bad form.

elkston said:
"Achievement unlocked: killed a negro"

Is that caption really necessary? I'm surprised the editors allow this quasi-racist stuff to slip by.
Soon it will be racist to call a black person black in the US.

Also, BTW, DU, I forgot to bring the following complaint to your attention:
[url=http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=200:b4p0nujd]RPG of the Decade - Developers' Choice[/url] said:
Technical fags
Justin Alexander@[url=http://rampantgames.com/blog/?p=299:b4p0nujd]rampantgames.com[/url] said:
Could you warn us next time you link to a site with homophobic slurs?
You may want to avoid such raw language in the future.

Cassidy

Arcane
It's just about the same "choose the lesser of two evils" thing seen in The Witcher in how the plot and main quest develops. Side with either a bunch of ruthless criminals, or with tyrannical and corrupt authorities to get further in the main quest, with no really significant consequences for either, not even in the color of the uniforms of supporting and allied NPCs in a late game segment.

In brief, it is almost as bad as a typical Bioware game in story "branching" and in the illusion of choice, but it is not the same piece of shit in gameplay.

You may want to avoid such raw language in the future.

The Codex does not scale to the level of political correctness fags.

Cassidy said:
The Codex does not scale to the level of political correctness fags.
On the other hand, it might be worth noting that (contrary to popular belief on the Codex) the fact that political correctness and its proponents tend to be mentally challenged does not automatically make gratuitous use of crude language funny or intelligent in and of itself.

JarlFrank is a prime example of this. Much like the quoted caption, most of his "racist"/"nazi" jokes (while not really offensive) are awkward and in bad taste without being amusing. I'm not sure what exactly is this supposed to achieve beyond making an otherwise decent poster look silly.

The moral of the story is: you should not aspire to be Cleve if you lack his verbal flair (and his titanium bones).

anomie said:
moral of the story is nobody in the world should be offended by words which only have the capacity to harm if you yourself give them that kind of power, otherwise they are just words.

Maybe in the trailerpark you grew up in, but in civilised cultures we have a thing called 'politeness'. You don't have to add your guttertrash 'political correctness' label to it - there's nothing political about it, just common decency and politeness. If you know that someone doesn't like being called a particular name, then it's simply polite not to call them that. Just pure politeness. Some of our more civilised cultures developed it a few thousand years ago. I'm sure your's will catch up soon enough.

Murk

Arcane
Azrael The Cat, I usually like your rather verbose posts but surely you see how absolutely silly it is to insult a person on being impolite.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom