Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The World of The Collectors

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

GameInformer <a href="http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/02/12/drawing-mass-effect-2-the-world-of-the-collectors.aspx">talks to BioWare art director Derek Watts</a> about the work that was required to build The Collector civilization in Mass Effect 2.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Creating an alien species from scratch isn’t easy. Creating the world that species lives in – the ships, tools, and architecture – can take months of work. BioWare certainly had its work cut out for itself when it started designing a new nemesis for Mass Effect 2, The Collectors. We talked with BioWare’s art director Derek Watts about what it was like building a new civilization from scratch.
<br>
<br>
We started with a fairly rough idea of the story at the beginning. Its fluid and it can change, but that doesn't stop us from concepting within these areas. For these concepts we were looking at what was beyond the Omega Four relay. I’ve been looking at a building in Japan – it's called the Port Authority building – that I tried to get into Mass Effect 1 and we were trying to get it in the Mass Effect 2. It's this incredible building that blurs the line between nature and building. It has all this vegetation on top, and these platforms underneath. [Concept artist Mikko Kinnunen], was trying to imagine what Omega Four would be like. Where did the ships go when they went through the Omega Four relay?
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
What do <b>YOU</b> think about the art direction of Mass Effect 2?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/96812-drawing-mass-effect-2-the-world-of-the-collectors.html">Banshee</A>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The collector ship was fuckin' awesome. Some of the best atmosphere in any game. As for the collector base.. it was good for what it was...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Star Wars + Firefly = Mass Effect setting. VERY UNIQUE.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I quite enjoyed the art. I found myself stopping to look over the scenery on a few instances, and though the Collectors are derivative of most evil alien races, I quite liked them, anyway.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
AAAAH! Flying squids!! They'll kill us all!!

Collectors = ants
Reapers = squids
So imaginative! Creative talent at its best.

The collector ship was fuckin' awesome. Some of the best atmosphere in any game. As for the collector base.. it was good for what it was...

I agree that the ship was good atmosphere-wise. I would correct you, however, in that the collector base was BAD, not even "good for what it is". 'Twas short and stupid, with a lulzy final boss.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Yeah, collector ship was good but collectors themselves were nothing new. Damn, I hate when every "evil" race just has to be insect/squid/monster looking.

I think it's shit for what it's shit.

Also, shit is boring, banal shit boring craptacular cancer in the RPG glands of the brain FFS r00fles learn 2 play dumbed down shit baked beans NWN 2-like shit Carth open mouth insert pistol seen it before collar grabbing manboons suicide mission moar like upgrade your ship to the max mission fuck aliens TIM shoot that guy in the face & save the world

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
More than your post or your life that's for damn sure. Your parents didn't think of the damage you would cause to the world when they had sex. FFS

made

Arcane
What Collectors?

All I remember is fighting endless hordes of generic mercenaries in either red or blue armor lololol.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Volourn said:
More than your post or your life that's for damn sure. Your parents didn't think of the damage you would cause to the world when they had sex. FFS

Oh man I'm loving this

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Collector levels were the best in ME2. Especially the first visit on a colector ship, before all the fighting started. Very atmospheric. Nice design of the interior.
But calling it novel or innovative isnt right. Still definitely not the worst part of ME2.

kris

Arcane
Malakal said:
Collector levels were the best in ME2. Especially the first visit on a colector ship, before all the fighting started. Very atmospheric. Nice design of the interior.
But calling it novel or innovative isnt right. Still definitely not the worst part of ME2.

I'd agree. I would also mention that their entire design felt like a homage to "Aliens". There really was that feel from the Alien movies about it all. Apart from the fact the collectors themself wasn't very alienlike.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Both ME & ME strong point was art. Not actually level design but roaming on that wasted planet with sky highways was nice. That goes with icy planet. Pretty good for rpg/fps.

About Collectors... yes crappy design but then how to create new interesting, humanoid, bipedal race of invaders? Many tried, all of them failed in recent years.
In before Avatar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom