Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mount & Blade: Warband Open Beta

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Mount & Blade; TaleWorlds

Next-gen wedding simulator <b><a href="http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/mount-blade-warband" target="blank">Mount & Blade: Warband</a></b> has hit open beta. Anyone with a valid serial number from the first game can <a href="http://beta.taleworlds.com/download.aspx" target="blank">download it here</a>. The catch (other than being an unpaid beta tester) is that it's multiplayer only, at least according to folks on the <a href="http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460825" target="blank">Paradox Forums</a>. But hey, now you have a chance to marry a fellow Codexer! So who's the first lucky couple? Kaiserin and KC? Sheek and Trash? SMA and anyone who will pay attention to her?

SlavemasterT

Arcane
POOPER LET'S FINALLY SEAL OUR BOND OF MANLOVE

fuck, I'd give this a shot if I wasn't in the middle of a massive reformatting and OS install on my desktop

Monocause

Arcane
Some guy at the paradox forum said:

Never fear! For lucky SP beta testers like me, HOLY COW! The SP is AWESOME.

A new map,
New faction,
New armors,
New weapons,
New horses,
Courting and Marriage,
New scenes,
You can open businesses,
You can become king,
You can claim the throne,
You can appoint companions as heirs,
and that's only a portion of new things. I was totally and completely awed.

Hm.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The MP is pretty fun. Sword cavalry is way too powerful though. Fuckers ram down fuckers like fuck.

Multi-headed Cow

Monocause said:

A new map,
New faction,
New armors,
New weapons,
New horses,
Courting and Marriage,
New scenes,
You can open businesses,
You can become king,

Hm.
Reeeeeeeally. If it goes beyond what's been offered in mods then I might be interested. Maybe. If it's cheap. And on Steam.

Monocause

Arcane
Zed said:
Sword cavalry is way too powerful though. Fuckers ram down fuckers like fuck.

It should be, and that poses a balancing problem. Theoretically you shouldn't be able to do jack shit with a one-hander+shield against a horseman.

Do the infantrymen always get some anti-cavalry weapons (spears, crossbows, throwing axes), or do you start with a single weapon and get hopelessly screwed over?

deuxhero

Arcane
denizsi said:
You can become king,
You can appoint companions as heirs

Betting the way these will work will be plain absurd.

"As you can see I have the miliitary experiance to kick all of your asses, put me on the throne or else" is absurd? The Rhodok 's elected king thingy is also reasonable to let the player in on.

filogreek

Scholar
Monocause said:
Zed said:
Sword cavalry is way too powerful though. Fuckers ram down fuckers like fuck.

It should be, and that poses a balancing problem. Theoretically you shouldn't be able to do jack shit with a one-hander+shield against a horseman.

Do the infantrymen always get some anti-cavalry weapons (spears, crossbows, throwing axes), or do you start with a single weapon and get hopelessly screwed over?

Might depend on the server but:
Infantry usually get 2 free weapons (i.e. think of it as the free pistol everyone gets in counter strike before they decide to buy something better).

For most factions, this is a basic 1-hander and a short spear. You can buy thrown-weapons like javelins too though.

You don't have to use a spear, if you are experienced (and a bit lucky) you usually can maneuver into a position where the guy can't hit you (e.g. in front of horse, then side step either left/right to avoid his current swing or lance direction). That way you can even kill or dismount them with a short sword.

However it is always more fun to get a throwing-axe headshot against a charging lancer.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Monocause said:

A new map,
New faction,
New armors,
New weapons,
New horses,
Courting and Marriage,
New scenes,
You can open businesses,
You can become king,

Hm.

Oh nice, that sounds just like 3 different mods I'm playing.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
A new map,
That we'll all get bored of eventually anyway. Random map generator might have provided more interest.

New faction
Which will be as irrelevant as the existing factions.

New armors,
New weapons,
New horses
Which you won't care about because you'll still go after the best armour in the game.

Courting and Marriage,

New scenes,
?

You can open businesses,
Unless they fixed the economy, this is going to suck some major ass.

I have a high suspicion they have failed to fix the economy, given how long it took for the game to get to v1.0 which ultimately was the same as it was three years earlier at v0.5. Oh yeah and the whole "adding in marriage" thing leads me to believe they were focussed elsewhere.

You can become king,
Finally!

?

Morkar Left

filogreek said:
You don't have to use a spear, if you are experienced (and a bit lucky) you usually can maneuver into a position where the guy can't hit you (e.g. in front of horse, then side step either left/right to avoid his current swing or lance direction). That way you can even kill or dismount them with a short sword.

However it is always more fun to get a throwing-axe headshot against a charging lancer.

Nice to see that you can use the same tactics as in singleplayer.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I'm quite enjoying this so far, but I've got this annoying several-second delay in my blocks/attacks that makes it basically impossible to fight anyone I haven't taken by surprise/used a bow against. My ping and performance are fine otherwise, anyone know the cause? I know it's not meant to be instantaneous, but (for example) my shield stays up for about three seconds after I let go of the block button.

Casus belli

Liturgist
I also have this sort of problem, and my ping is usually in the 120-150 range, which is good for FPSs. Apparently this game is much more sensible when it comes to pings, at least that's what I read in the forums and what I concluded when I played it. I'm getting better at it, but I still find it very hard to win a shield vs shield fight.

Saxon1974

Prophet
IS the beta only showing the multiplayer part?

Can anyone beta testing tell us if the they took out the RPG stuff like stats and leveling from the single player part?

The Wizard

Educated
as far as i can tell, yes. you choose a side and then choose a "class". and if you feel like it(and have the money) you can buy some armor and weapons.

Szioul

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria Pathfinder: Wrath
The Wizard said:
as far as i can tell, yes. you choose a side and then choose a "class". and if you feel like it(and have the money) you can buy some armor and weapons.
He was asking about SP, not MP. Although I'm not an SP beta tester, so I can't say for sure, but I can't see why they'd remove it in SP.

The Wizard

Educated
Szioul said:
He was asking about SP, not MP.
oh. well, seems like it is one of those mornings for me again.

no, singleplayer still has stats and all. the only big changes are listed a few posts up.

denizsi

Arcane
"
deuxhero said:
denizsi said:
You can become king,
You can appoint companions as heirs

Betting the way these will work will be plain absurd.

"As you can see I have the miliitary experiance to kick all of your asses, put me on the throne or else" is absurd? The Rhodok 's elected king thingy is also reasonable to let the player in on.

"Betting the way these will work will be plain absurd"

Eg. the way sieges work, not that laying siege is a silly concept.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom