Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The Principles of High-Level Writing

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment

Sometimes I get the impression that writing about gamedesign is way more popular than actually doing gamedesign. Of course I could be wrong. Anyway, Josh Sawyer, working at Codex' favorite developer Obsidian Entertainment, <a href="http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=3&">shares some insights with us.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">At work, we have a lot of rules for how to write. These range from punctuation (single-spacing after terminal punctuation) to spelling ("all right" vs. "alright") to structural (where a "goodbye" response should be relative to a "start combat" response and where that should be relative to a "friendly" response). Every project has a document (or documents) on the specific guidelines for that project. In spite of all the details, there are certain high-level principles that tend to be common. Okay, maybe it's just in my mind, but here are principles that I believe are important for writing player-driven dialogue in choice-heavy RPGs.
<br>
</p>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/?rwsiteid=1#14541">RPGWatch</A>

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
* Never give false options. Do not create multiple options that lead to the same result. It insults players' intelligence and does not reward them for the choices they make.
Oh, pshaw.
He obviously needs to learn at the feet of the greats before making such an irrational claim.
Does he not see the cash Bioware is raking in?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I agree with all of his insights. If New Vegas follows them, it will be an astronomically better game than its predecessor.

Cassidy

Arcane
tl;dr "Do what I say, don't do what I do".

I'm pretty sure Tabitha will be a NPC with very High Level writing dialogue trees. .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom