Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Big Huge RPG Updates

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Big Huge Games; Project Mercury

The Ken Rolston led RPG project from <b><a href="http://www.bighugegames.com/" target="blank">Big Huge Games</a></b> gets a <a href="http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6253161.html" target="blank">new lease on life</a> thanks to 38 Studios, EA, and questionable taste.
<br>
<blockquote>Code-named "Project Mercury," the single-player RPG is being developed by Rise of Nations studio Big Huge Games. (After then-owner THQ threatened to close the studio in 2009, 38 Studios stepped in and bought the Maryland-based developer.) <b>It will be an all-new intellectual property co-created fantasy by comic-book artist Todd McFarlane (Spawn) and author R.A. Salvatore (The DemonWars Saga)</b>. Both men helped Schilling found 38 Studios--then called Green Monster Games--in 2006, and respectively serve as art director and "executive creator of worlds" at the Maynard, Massachusetts studio. The game will not be based on any of Salvatore's or MacFarlane's previous work.
<br>
<br>
Though 38 Studios is a relatively new operation, Project Mercury has some seasoned development talent behind it. Its project lead is Ken Rolston, who was lead designer on Bethesda Softworks' acclaimed high-fantasy RPGs The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Several other Bethesda alumni are working on the project, as well as a senior designer from Lucasarts' the Force Unleashed. Veterans of Civilization and Civilization II are also on board.
<br>
<br>
According to EA Partners general manager David DeMartini, Rolston and his team will also be able to tap the minds of EA's own RPG powerhouse. "The guys at BioWare were actually involved in the early discussions with the folks at Big Huge," he told GameSpot. "They've had an opportunity to have some preliminary discussions and preliminary talks….So, I certainly think that you could expect strong collaboration that would include the BioWare team." </blockquote>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/">RPG Watch</A>

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Bringing in actual professionals for writing and art direction instead of relying on in house amateurs?

No wonder this hack got shitcanned at Bethesda, he's lost his mind.

Doesn't he know, it's not what the dialogue is, it's who says it. I mean Liam Fucking Neeson people! :kneal before Todd:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The Other Todd and Salvatore? This is like one of those satanic nightmares that drive people into suicide.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Curt Schilling, Todd McFarlane, and R.A. Salvatore?

That's a shitload of suck.

Silellak

Cipher
Lesifoere said:
Silellak said:
author R.A. Salvatore
I lol'd.

Yes, pretty much. I'd sooner play a game written by Orson Scott Card and, considering that Card is a loudmouthed lunatic, that's saying something.
Now I'm imagining an RPG where you play as Joseph Smith and have to start the Mormon Religion. It'd be like the Quest of the Avatar, only retarded.

At least it'd be a fairly original setting and premise, though. The sequel could jump forward in time and cast you as L. Ron Hubbard.

Silellak said:
Now I'm imagining an RPG where you play as Joseph Smith and have to start the Mormon Religion. It'd be like the Quest of the Avatar, only retarded.

At least it'd be a fairly original setting and premise, though. The sequel could jump forward in time and cast you as L. Ron Hubbard.

Sounds like a game with a potential to develop some serious cult following.

yaster

Liturgist
Lesifoere said:
Yes, pretty much. I'd sooner play a game written by Orson Scott Card and, considering that Card is a loudmouthed lunatic, that's saying something.

Well, mista' Orson&Scott had written some parts of Secrets of Monkey Island (rather well known part, in fact I would argue the very best known) so It's safe to assume you already might be past this one... or you should heathen

Jim Cojones

Prophet
yaster said:
Lesifoere said:
Well, mista' Orson&Scott had written some parts of Secrets of Monkey Island (rather well known part, in fact I would argue the very best known) so It's safe to assume you already might be past this one... or you should heathen
Correct me if my memory fails me but didn't he write only the taunts for sword combat? That would hardly count as a 'game written by'.

KickAss

Augur
Jim Cojones said:
yaster said:
Lesifoere said:
Correct me if my memory fails me but didn't he write only the taunts for sword combat? That would hardly count as a 'game written by'.

he also wrote part of The Dig, which was a decent game..

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Since EA owns it's own RPG studio (Bioware), it seems odd they would actually finance this.

I guess they want to expand their RPG market?

Andhaira

Arcane
Sounds p. exciting. I only hope the gsmer is fully tunrbased, though I doubt it. It will likely be a single person first person view.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeesh said:
How long is it going to be before we'll just have to be thankful that anyone is still developing single player games at all?

Bro that happened to me a long time ago bro.

Data4

Arcane
I dunno... Salvatore is a bit of a hack at writing novels, but how many games' writing is pulitzer prize winning material? He might end up being much better at game writing than books.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
"A bit" is a huge understatement. Frankly, I would rate a good deal of game writing above his, and not just obvious choices like Torment either. The dialogue in ME2 induces less cringing than his.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Twinfalls said:
Rolston needs a 'no publisher betrayal' rule.

Fuck, you can't mention any of the sacred rules. You want Zenimax lawyers here? You want us to have to remove anything TES related? Remeber, it's only by The Mighty Ken's good grace that we're allowed to mention TES at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom