Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Big Huge RPG Updates

Lingwe

Liturgist
38 Studios stepped in and bought the Maryland-based developer

Did anyone else initially think this meant that 38 seperate studios pitched in to buy out a single one studio?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Didn't Salvatore write the horrible trainwreck that was Demon Stone? Tells you all you need to know about what this project will be like.

Mortmal

Arcane
so to sum up , spawn and drizzt creators, i would be very surprised if its a turn based rpgs , a wizardry a fallout.. No its almost sure it will be completely action focused, but still, with better writing than most games.

Silellak

Cipher
Sceptic said:
Didn't Salvatore write the horrible trainwreck that was Demon Stone? Tells you all you need to know about what this project will be like.
Yup.
Other media

The Accursed Tower, A 2nd Edition AD&D Module[/list]
Demon Stone Role-playing Game released on PS2, Xbox, and PC
In collaboration with Seven Swords, R A Salvatore created the bot chat responses for the computer game Quake 3 Arena
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._A._Salvatore#Other_media

My favorite is the third one, personally.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Demon Stone Role-playing Game released on PS2, Xbox, and PC
The fuck? That's a straight action beat them up game. It doesn't even have an inventory FFS.

I've long ago given up to get "RPG" just because the label says "RPG" but this...this is going too far. This is just wrong.

Still don't get the hate towards McFarlane (the concept artist) and Salvatore (the game writer) though.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
It's not hate towards Salvatore, but he gets constantly overhyped as a writer and he's just not that good. His novels are alright. There was a ton of hype when he wrote Demon Stone and the game was shit with poor writing. Now he's being hyped again as a game writer. See the pattern?

And if ME2 is an RPG then so is Demon Stone :smug:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sceptic said:
It's not hate towards Salvatore, but he gets constantly overhyped as a writer and he's just not that good. His novels are alright. There was a ton of hype when he wrote Demon Stone and the game was shit with poor writing. Now he's being hyped again as a game writer. See the pattern?

And if ME2 is an RPG then so is Demon Stone :smug:
Ah, OK. Didn't notice any hype (not even in the PR press release), just hate ;)
I agree with the rest apart from ME2, since I haven't played it and don't plan on doing so. But at least it has the Bioware dRPG going for it. Demon Stone was just "beat your way through stages with a tripe story". Some tacked on equipment improvements after levels that had no impact on gameplay whatsoever.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
To be honest I'm probably overdoing the hype bit. It was a long time ago and I never cared that much for the game. I remember mentions of Salvatore being writer on it and a lot of excitement on fora, then the "tripe story" (as you succintly put it) when I played the game. My brain also wants to wipe out all memories of the fucking terrible gameplay and just replaced everything with "Salavatore hype" instead.

My ME2 comment OTOH was half-trolling. ME2 is at least decent and has SOME RPG elements.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Lesifoere said:
Yes, pretty much. I'd sooner play a game written by Orson Scott Card and, considering that Card is a loudmouthed lunatic, that's saying something.

You actually read Card? Even before reading as a hobby/addiction, I flagged Ender's Game as some horrific junk, never reading it and - back then - I thought The Alchemist or The Notebook were top class because of the praise they got.

Twinfalls said:
Rolston needs a 'no publisher betrayal' rule.

I lol'd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom