Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Alpha Protocol Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

G4 <a href="http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/62110/alpha-protocol/articles/70132/Alpha-Protocol-GDC-2010-Preview/">put up a preview</a> of Obsidians soon to be released Spy RPG.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Our most recent experience with Alpha Protocol showed off the divergent paths one can engage upon in the game. SEGA's associate producer, Matt Hickman, put it another way, “Where other games talk a lot about multiple endings, we're all about multiple middles.” As an example, the game was set up on two different stations, each playing out the same scene side-by-side. In one, our super spy Mike arrives back at his safehouse to find his lady friend resting. The scene is full of prompts, allowing the player to react in a variety of different ways. In this demo, he's appreciative, tender and the scene culminates in the two sharing a kiss. Clearly, he's earned this somehow. In the other, upon walking inside, Mike's beaten and eventually electrocuted into submission by the same woman, in reaction to some heinous acts he must have committed along the way. There's no opportunity to interact with the scene; it's merely a byproduct of a past sin.
<br>
<br>
Alpha Protocol is full of these types of interactive sequences and reaction segments based on prior deeds. Whether you interrogate or sympathize with a character is up to you, including exercising your license to kill by outright executing them. Choice is more than a dialog tree option though. Players can choose to specialize in a variety of ways, including stealth, weapon trees that open up key skills for your guns, martial arts and more. However, for those that simply want to grab a gun and run through the game as an action title, there's that option. For an RPG nerd like myself, I'll be mucking around in skill trees and inventory until the wee hours of the night. If you prefer a non-violent path, there's even an option to play the game with entirely non-lethal hand-to-hand combat moves...but no one said it would be easy!
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97109-alpha-protocol-preview.html">GB</A>

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Where other games talk a lot about multiple endings, we're all about multiple middles

Does that mean that this Obsidian game will have at least one middle and one ending? Wow, that's an improvement.

Dionysus

Scholar
The Feral Kid said:
Where other games talk a lot about multiple endings, we're all about multiple middles

Does that mean that this Obsidian game will have at least one middle and one ending? Wow, that's an improvement.
No, he said that they are all about multiple middles, in contrast to other games that emphasize multiple endings. So the ending will probably still be an afterthought.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Dionysus said:
The Feral Kid said:

No, he said that they are all about multiple middles, in contrast to other games that emphasize multiple endings. So the ending will probably still be an afterthought.

This went over your head. Nevermind.

Silellak

Cipher
.Sigurd said:
Behold, I'll summon Skyway!
NOOOO.JPG

Shannow

Waster of Time
You like a game/development studio that doesn't merit the fanboy-jizz and in steps Skyway.

Make a few comments how Obsidian is the last bastion of true RPGs and the like. I'm sure he'll pop up.

Andhaira

Arcane
I'm surprised no one commented on the fact that a woman beats and electrocutes you in this game.

MetalCraze

Arcane
In one, our super spy Mike arrives back at his safehouse to find his lady friend resting. The scene is full of prompts, allowing the player to react in a variety of different ways. In this demo, he's appreciative, tender and the scene culminates in the two sharing a kiss.

Well Obsidian did nail the whole point of RPGs that Codex loves.

In the other, upon walking inside, Mike's beaten and eventually electrocuted into submission by the same woman, in reaction to some heinous acts he must have committed along the way
Which of course affects nothing in the end besides you not getting the pussy, but at least the game has Courting & Copulation.

.Sigurd

Educated
MetalCraze said:
In the other, upon walking inside, Mike's beaten and eventually electrocuted into submission by the same woman, in reaction to some heinous acts he must have committed along the way
Which of course affects nothing in the end besides you not getting the pussy, but at least the game has Courting & Copulation.
You are guessing too much.

Callaxes

Arbiter
I play roleplaying games so that I can experience things that I don't in every day life and being beaten and electrocuted into submission by a girl is one of those things.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
AP will be good for what it is. Just like FO, PST, and ARC.

R00fles!

CrimHead said:
Volourn is the worst poster on the Codex.

Volourn is an iconic Codex poster and if you care to look beyond the r00fles & FFS gimmick, he's often pretty reasonable, if somewhat repetitive.

relootz

Scholar
Clockwork Knight said:
Yeah. At least, he's consistent and doesn't flip flop

riso4ielt5.gif

I once compared his first post opinion about BG2 to another post he made a few months ago. And what was the result : he changed his opinion incredibly.

Dont post shit like this. It's just a character he's playing.

jazzotron

Liturgist
The Feral Kid said:

Well, we'll only be able to experience them once the restoration project for AP is completed.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I've almost completed ArmA2 campaign and I just realized that it has more middles and endings than any Obsidian game (if not all of them put together). And ArmA2 is a tactical shooter, not some stupid shooting range crap with wallhacks, let alone "C&C"-full RPG.

Twinkle

Liturgist
MetalCraze said:
I've almost completed ArmA2 campaign and I just realized that it has more middles and endings than any Obsidian game (if not all of them put together). And ArmA2 is a tactical shooter, not some stupid shooting range crap with wallhacks, let alone "C&C"-full RPG.

But can you have buttseks with your mates? Can you rape villagers? Is there a cold bitch nearby who protest every your decision? If no, IT'S NOT A RPG.

Callaxes

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:

Entirely different "middles" we're talking about here. You might as well point out that Hearts of Iron has a lot more approaches to - say - conquering Poland than Alpha Protocol does for its side quests.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
C&C, Motherfuckers. Truly good for what it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom