Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Old news on Interplay now more public

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Interplay

I think most of us already know most of this, but since <b>Herve Caen</b> is trying to sell the company, it's good when sites like <A href="http://www.gamesindustry.biz/">Games Industry</a> posts <A href="http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3373">bad news</a> about <A href="Http://www.interplay.com">Interplay</a> anyway. Here's some of the fun:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The company faces eviction if it cannot meet its rent commitments - and was served with notice to this extent on April 9th. It also failed to meet its payroll obligations in the middle of this month, and has cancelled the bulk of other outgoings, including "property, general liability, auto, workers compensation, fiduciary liability, and employment practices liability."
<br>
<br>
On top of this, the company has lost the rights to publish Baldurs Gate 3 and other future D&D properties, and it may lose the right to continue publishing its Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliances titles if it cannot settle a lawsuit from Atari which accuses it of failing to pay royalties on the D&D license.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Actually, they can publish <b>Dark Alliance</b> games, they just can't use anything D&D about it, or use the <b>Baldur's Gate</b> name from my understanding. Which begs the question, what's the damned point?
<br>
<br>
Thanks for the link, <b>Briosafreak</b>, formerly of <A href="Http://www.nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</a>.
<br>

Briosafreak

Augur
In the SEC filling they even say that they can loose the rights to sell BGDA2, therefore what is written in that article, but that was settled in the Dark Alliance settlement with Atari, as far as i know. thanks for Kharn for pointing it out

Edit:They were going to make a Dark Alliance console game using SPECIAL, or so i`ve heard

Spazmo

Erudite
Briosafreak said:
Edit:They were going to make a Dark Alliance console game using SPECIAL, or so i`ve heard

Yeah, Brios, and they were "making" money, too.

My point is that in the final days, when all the designers and producers and artists knew they were fucked anyways, they probably just worked on whatever completely fucking ridiculous projects they could dream up.

Geez, here I am talking about the "final days". I feel like I'm talking about Hitler in the bunker.

Seven

Erudite
This story won't have such a happy ending. Caen will live on and he'll probably butt-fuck a few more companies before his time is up.

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, consider that Derek Smart is still able to find a publisher for his games and it stops being so surprising.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I hate to bring up the subject of Daikatana, but consider that John Romero is still in the gaming business and NOTHING will surprise you anymore. I'm even more surprised that Tom Hall still works with him (now at Midway) even after Romero's spending binge destroyed Tom Hall's own projects at Ion Storm.

Must be some strong friendship between the two of them. Now I've got nothing against Romero as a game designer (of which he is a pretty good one, Daikatana notwithstanding) but after being one of the main reasons behind a 30 million dollar loss, you'd think most people wouldn't want to work with him anymore regardless of the kind of talent he has.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Exitium said:
I hate to bring up the subject of Daikatana, but consider that John Romero is still in the gaming business and NOTHING will surprise you anymore.

Is John still working for that cell phone game company? In that case, I wouldn't say he's still in the gaming business. It's like saying a failed chef is still in the restaurant business if he runs a lemonade stand.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Greenskin13 said:
Is John still working for that cell phone game company? In that case, I wouldn't say he's still in the gaming business. It's like saying a failed chef is still in the restaurant business if he runs a lemonade stand.

John Romero is at Midway so I guess that makes J.E. Sawyer his bitch.

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
Briosafreak said:

Yeah, Brios, and they were "making" money, too.

My point is that in the final days, when all the designers and producers and artists knew they were fucked anyways, they probably just worked on whatever completely fucking ridiculous projects they could dream up.

Geez, here I am talking about the "final days". I feel like I'm talking about Hitler in the bunker.

Except that Hitler had an honorable death, he killed himself. I don't think we'll see Herve do this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom