Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Taylor talks to GameSpy

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Dungeon Siege 2; Gas Powered Games

<a href=http://www.gamespy.com>GameSpy</a> posted an <a href=http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dungeon-siege-ii/510088p1.html>interview</a> with <b>Chris Taylor</b>, the man behind everyone's favourite screensaver, about <a href=http://www.gaspowered.com/ds2>Dungeon Siege II: Now 50% More Interactive!</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><i>In what other ways will the world be more interactive than before?</i>
<br>
<br>
GameSpy: In what other ways will the world be more interactive than before?
<br>
Chris Taylor: In DS1, interactivity was mostly opening secret doors, flipping switches, and the opening of various treasure containing items like barrels and crates. One of the best examples is the addition of doors or objects in the world that are operable or usable if the character is of a specific class. Additionally, many of our quests involve a much higher level of interactivity, from blowing up buildings to using siege weapons to filling an area with water. </blockquote>OMG! They've added totally and amazingly interactive doorz! That will revolutionize the genre!
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.homelanfed.com/">HomeLan</A>

wtf is the point in that.

Paladin: Aw my mighty paladin arms cannot handle these spindly door handles, please wizened scrawny old wizard can you use your arthritic fingers to set me free!!!!

Wizard: Alas these doors require the soft silken touch of a female cleric, 5ft 4 , 115lbs blue eyes and brown hair to open.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I've a feeling that the so-called interactivity with the environment pertaining to the 'opening of doors', and 'flooding of areas' forthwith is just about as interactive as flipping a switch and watching something happen as opposed to actually being able to destroy constructions and buildings in a more chaotic, non-predetermined manner as in Silent Storm.

Voss

Erudite
'We kin do DOREZ now. Hur, hur"

Thats great, Chris. But, for the non-mentally challenged among us,
interactivity != crates & barrels. So you're starting point for interactivity in DS1 isn't exactly...well, interactivity.

I mean, lets be honest here. Rogue-likes have doors & chests for gods' sake. IIRC, Wizardry *I* had doors and chests. Make a game where the player does more than watch the character kill things and open chests, and then maybe you'll impress someone.

Dingusamongus

Novice
Uhhhhhhh

How about: "speak friend and enter!"? On second thought that is way too interactive. So, I guess my rhetorical question for today is: if you take away the doors do you still have, what they are calling, a game? Would all the monsters escape, and just where would they go? If they had an ounce of intelligence they'd be snarfing the siege equipment so they could knock your ass off of that sorry world.

Cheers,

Ding :twisted:

Fireblade

Erudite
Wow, not only do we have doors and crates now, but we also have some doors and crates that we might not be able to open at all, due to being of the wrong class. Actually that doesn't sound so cool, but holy shit, I get to fill an area with water? Plz sign me up

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
As pathetic as the door thing soudns; it's certainly not as patetic as the way the forum looks. :twisted:

Voss

Erudite
On an odd issue with the class related doors- does this mean they're changing the class 'system'? IIRC, your 'class' was simply a title based on your current skill distribution- so does this mean you could end up raising a skill and then not be able to get through a door anymore? (Would really suck if its the only door)

Must blast 3 more monsters to up my skill so I can change from Wizzard to Mage-bringer-of-DOOM, and open the forbidden door... Just hope I can clear that out before becoming a Sorcerer-Supreme!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom