Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Discounts at GOG

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Sacred

Here's another <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/promo/special_rpg?as=1649904300" target="blank">50% off sale at GOG.com</a>, with <b>Sacred Gold</b> and <b>SpellForce Platinum</b> going for $4.99 each and <b>Septerra Core</b> and <b>Stonekeep</b> going for $2.99 each.
<br>
<blockquote>This week we're giving you four great RPG titles, each offering days of great gameplay and storytelling, each 50% off. For the price of a cheap dinner you can be occupied and entertained for weeks on end. Until Monday, April 12 at 11:59 p.m. EDT, we're giving you a 50% discount on four RPG titles. It's not a bundle promotion, so you'll receive the full discount no matter how many of these games you buy. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
<i>Thanks to Tails for the reminder</i>

Last edited by a moderator:

pipka

Savant
Technically speaking, Septerrra Core is JRPG and it's not great. But no one cares.
Actually, out of four, only Stonekeep is RPG.

Zeus

Cipher
pipka said:
Technically speaking, Septerrra Core is JRPG

No, technically speaking, it isn't.

Wikipedia:

Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator is a computer role-playing game (CRPG) developed by Valkyrie Studios and published by Monolith Productions.

Valkyire Studios:
The group now known as Valkyrie Studios originally came together at Viacom New Media in 1994 where they achieved success with the release of MTV's Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity. That product won PC Gamer’s "Adventure Game of the Year" award for 1995, and went on to be ranked at #24 in their "Top 50 Best Games Ever" for the years of ’97 and ’98.

The team then began development of a unique role playing game for the PC entitled Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator. Late in the summer of 1997, just as this title was moving into full production, Viacom made the announcement that it was closing down its Chicago development house. Septerra was about to suffer an early demise. The team decided there was only one plan of action: Form a new company, acquire the rights to their game, and find a new publisher…. Valkyrie Studios was born.

Chicago != Tokyo.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Zeus said:
pipka said:
Technically speaking, Septerrra Core is JRPG

No, technically speaking, it isn't.

Wikipedia:

Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator is a computer role-playing game (CRPG) developed by Valkyrie Studios and published by Monolith Productions.

Valkyire Studios:
The group now known as Valkyrie Studios originally came together at Viacom New Media in 1994 where they achieved success with the release of MTV's Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity. That product won PC Gamer’s "Adventure Game of the Year" award for 1995, and went on to be ranked at #24 in their "Top 50 Best Games Ever" for the years of ’97 and ’98.

The team then began development of a unique role playing game for the PC entitled Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator. Late in the summer of 1997, just as this title was moving into full production, Viacom made the announcement that it was closing down its Chicago development house. Septerra was about to suffer an early demise. The team decided there was only one plan of action: Form a new company, acquire the rights to their game, and find a new publisher…. Valkyrie Studios was born.

Chicago != Tokyo.
Dumbfuck.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
2zivqrc.jpg

Zeus

Cipher
PorkaMorka said:

That's correct. It's done in the style of a Japanese RPG, but "technically speaking" it's not a JRPG.

Just like Dark Spire is a "Tribute to classic western-style RPGs," but is technically not a WRPG.

Zeus

Cipher
Gragt said:
So the genre is only a moniker for where the game was developped, not the influence?

Ah, influence.

If influence is enough to make American-developed games like Planescape: Torment count as "JRPGs," it creates an interesting paradox.

For instance, Dragon Quest was influenced by Wizardry, a WRPG. Hence, by that logic, Dragon Quest is a WRPG.

And if all JRPGs took their influence from Dragon Quest--a 'WRPG'--then, wait for it, all JRPGs are WRPGs.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Not that I care much for JRPG and WRPG, because I find the two terms a bit stupid. I prefer to class a game based on what can be found in it rather than its influences or location of development. I just try to know how you reached that stance.

Zeus

Cipher
Gragt said:
Not that I care much for JRPG and WRPG, because I find the two terms a bit stupid. I prefer to class a game based on what can be found in it rather than its influences or location of development. I just try to know how you reached that stance.

I can't take the, "Septerra Core is a JRPG!" people seriously, because if being influenced by something is enough to make you that something, then by that logic Dragon Quest is a WRPG.

"Japanese-style RPG" and "Western-style RPG" are more accurate.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
We aren't actually talking about influence here.

This isn't one of those retarded "PS:T is a JRPG" discussions.

Septerra Core was literally just a western studio copying the gameplay mechanics (including active time battle) and style of JRPGs at a time when the RPG genre was still pretty impressed with FF7.

Did you ever play it? It's simple copy and paste, not influence.

So it's either a JRPG or a western attempt to make a JRPG styled game. Who cares about semantics (or this game)?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
JRPG is a genre, it has nothing to do with where the game was made.

For instance Demon's Souls on the PS3 is NOT a JRPG. It is a western style Hack'n Slash/RPG that just happens to be made in Japan.

Septerra Core IS a JRPG made in USA.

Noddy

Augur
PorkaMorka said:
So it's either a JRPG or a western attempt to make a JRPG styled game. Who cares about semantics (or this game)?

Semantics is important when someone declares Septerra Core is technically a JRPG, because technically it's not. Septerra Core is a JRPG, but technically it's a WRPG.

Noddy

Augur
The strict definition of a JRPG is, and stop me if i'm going to fast for you, a RPG made in Japan. Even if the term JRPG has evolved to mean the mechanics of game, technically speaking it's still not a JRPG if it's not made in Japan. Technically.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Technically, this thread is another bulk of nonsense where people argue about subjective definitions of something (jrpg in this case).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Ah, there's no place like the Codex. I saw the number of replies and thought people were weighing in on the actual games... silly me I should have known it was going to be a dozen posts bickering over semantics.

Anyway, uh, yeah, I got Sacred Gold.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Metro said:
Ah, there's no place like the Codex. I saw the number of replies and thought people were weighing in on the actual games... silly me I should have known it was going to be a dozen posts bickering over semantics.

Sacred is horrible shit.

Happy now?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
FeelTheRads said:
Metro said:

Sacred is horrible shit.

Happy now?

I'm actually enjoying it so, yes, I'm happy.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Where does the Sacred 2 expansion fit in then? I think it wasn't even done by the same company. Is it another Forsaken Gods disaster?

Zeus

Cipher
HOPELESS MORON said:
SACRED = GOOD GAME

SACRED 2 = DISASTER

I heard good stuff about Sacred 2. Tom Chick was raving about it over on Fidgit a while ago. Sounds pretty cool to me, especially the 100s of quests you can take (rare for a Diablo clone).

Admittedly, I haven't played Sacred 1 yet, so it's probably missing all sorts of things diehards are going to complain about. But what makes it a disaster? Just bugs? 'Cause I can deal with bugs, unless it's something like a broken save system or game ending glitch or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom