Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout: New Vegas Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

Gamesradar offer a <a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/fallout-new-vegas/preview/first-look-at-fallout-new-vegas/a-20100423103112330004/g-2009050816317271026">preview</a> of Obsidian Entertainments upcoming Fallout game.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">However, the biggest mystery at the moment is what the Vegas Strip looks like, and what you’ll be able to do once you get there. Obsidian are currently working on the Strip, and despite several probing questions, the team is saying very little about it. We know to expect lavishness, only with a slightly run-down feel, and all kinds of mad entertainment. Gambling? It’s a certainty. Musical shows? Very possible. Ghoul pole-dancers? Er, maybe.
<br>
<br>
With the vibrancy of the Strip, the scale of the Hoover Dam, and the varied colour palette of a world that hasn’t been completely levelled by nuclear war, the ‘fresh’ territory of Fallout New Vegas is certainly a more interesting place to be than the Capital Wasteland. Combine that with funnier story-telling courtesy of the new developer, an improved dialogue system and the same half-strategic, half-realtime combat we enjoyed in Fallout 3, and the odds certainly seem stacked in its favour. The first truly great RPG of 2010? Place your bets now.
<br>
</p>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97652-fallout-new-vegas-preview.html">Gamebanshee</A>

Melcar

Arcane
I always hated that thing about "creating" you character during the game. When did that trend start (in western RPGs at least)? I'm in no way a hardcore game fanatic that has played every single RPG under the sun, but all the games I enjoyed in the past had you create your character before the game started. It just seems odd and and does not do anything for the flow of the game.

Later on in the game, we’re told, that orbital laser can become part of your arsenal as you develop a portable control device for it.

Lexx

Cipher
Sounds fancy.

Bild2.png

madbringer

Arcane
Tails said:
madbringer said:
When in doubt, rip-off Syndicate Wars.
Funny, Syndicate Wars come to my mind after reading this news.

That's probably because they're ripping it off.

:shock:

Well, just the orbital bombardment thingy, but still.

Not unlike Fallout 3, mind. Beth already "borrowed" the idea of a portable, tossable nuclear weapon. Guess from where.

Tails

Arbiter
madbringer said:
Well and Syndicate Wars rip it off from something else etc. still it's pretty silly thing to put in Fallout game. They do the same mistakes like with Fallout 2, aka adding more advanced stuff that really doesn't make sense or is needed.

madbringer

Arcane
root said:
madbringer said:
Not unlike Fallout 3, mind. Beth already "borrowed" the idea of a portable, tossable nuclear weapon. Guess from where.

paranoia?

Fallout 3 touched me in my private place when i was little. :(

Tails said:
madbringer said:
Well and Syndicate Wars rip it off from something else etc. still it's pretty silly thing to put in Fallout game. They do the same mistakes like with Fallout 2, aka adding more advanced stuff that really doesn't make sense or is needed.

I just realized something similar to that was supposed to be in Van Buren. Something with a mad scientist on an orbital station. Don't remember too clearly, though.

madbringer

Arcane
Jim Cojones said:
The problem is, it's not an orbital laser. It's placed on the top of Helios facility.

Eh, no.

Once into the central control room you have a number of options that will either cement your relationship with the NCR, or damage it. We go for damage. Big damage. Our man reroutes the power to an orbital laser, which he then uses to incinerate the NCR troops stationed outside the power plant. It’s spectacular as the giant beam sweeps over the baked floor, evaporating the opposition.

Nael

Arcane
madbringer said:
Tails said:
madbringer said:
When in doubt, rip-off Syndicate Wars.
Funny, Syndicate Wars come to my mind after reading this news.

:shock:

Well, just the orbital bombardment thingy, but still.

Yes. Because before Syndicate Wars NO ONE would've thought of putting a laser on a satellite. Those unoriginal bastards! :roll:

Ronald-Reagan-1.jpg
[/img]

Jim Cojones

Prophet
madbringer said:
Jim Cojones said:
The problem is, it's not an orbital laser. It's placed on the top of Helios facility.
Eh, no.
Once into the central control room you have a number of options that will either cement your relationship with the NCR, or damage it. We go for damage. Big damage. Our man reroutes the power to an orbital laser, which he then uses to incinerate the NCR troops stationed outside the power plant. It’s spectacular as the giant beam sweeps over the baked floor, evaporating the opposition.
Trust me, I am better informed than the journos who did that preview.

madbringer

Arcane
Source, link? Can't believe they'd make such a silly mistake. :x

nael said:
Yes. Because before Syndicate Wars NO ONE would've thought of putting a laser on a satellite. Those unoriginal bastards! Rolling Eyes

You know it, brosef.

madbringer

Arcane
Maybe the dev team revised that whole idea? That screenie is a month old, after all. Either that or the people that did the preview are idiots.

Lexx

Cipher
Jim Cojones said:

To me, this looks more like sun beams going up to the tower, in the same way as it's doing it in the real world equivalent. It's just a tad too much bloom in here. Also I doubt it's the laser, as the tower isn't high enough and you would have just a very small range with it. If that's the case, then a kind of portable radio for it seems useless.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Melcar said:
I always hated that thing about "creating" you character during the game. When did that trend start (in western RPGs at least)? I'm in no way a hardcore game fanatic that has played every single RPG under the sun, but all the games I enjoyed in the past had you create your character before the game started. It just seems odd and and does not do anything for the flow of the game.
I think Morrowind was the first to do this.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Black_Willow said:
Melcar said:
I think Morrowind was the first to do this.

System Shock 2 had it as well, if you consider that an RPG.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have been wondering, how the relationship with Obsidian and Bethesda has been going.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall every time Todd comes up with a dumbfuck idea and approaches it with Obsidian.

Melcar said:
They probably take it in the butt.

Agreed. And this is coming from someone who is looking forward to the game - I'm not expecting a classic, but I'm almost certain to buy 1 or 2 new games this year, and New Vegas is looking like a certainty, especially if AP's Thornton character is as bad as some of the trailers have made him look - I can enjoy a mediocre game, but a thoroughly annoying main character is enough to kill it. Frankly, I'm expecting something better than Bioshock 2 and worse than the last STALKER - something I can play through to kill some sleepless nights and then forget about.

But I'm too cynical to expect that Obsidian are sitting around feeling superior to Bethesda. They're using Bethesda's engine and Bethesda's fame to sell to Bethesda's audience. Frankly, there's a good argument from here that they'd be doing the wrong thing by not servicing that audience - regardless of whether it makes for a crapper game, that's what they've signed up for and accepted the cash for. If they didn't want to make a game aimed at the Bethesda crowd they shouldn't (and wouldn't) have agreed to make a spin-off of FO3 instead of their own P-A game.

And designers/artists are usually respectful of those who can do things they can't. Obsidian cannot make a game of the size, shinyness (to the masses), mass-market appeal and hypability that Bethesda cranks out. I'd say they're probably in awe of Todd and listen to everything he says. Because he's done what they can't - made 2 games that have made bucketloads of money. And I'm sure that as a profit-making company and resume-building employees they want to know the recipe for that, regardless of what games they might like as gamers.

It's sad that the games industry lacks the self-confidence to be proud of servicing an intelligent and artistically satisfying niche. After all, musicians and record labels don't all try to be Britney Spears and Sony, even if that would net them more cash, directors don't all try to be Michael Bay - those industries have good players with the confidence to declare themselves successful just making art-pieces and a safe profit instead of megabucks. But right now it seems that in gaming you're either an amateur indie or a wannabe EA, and I don't expect much more from Obsidian unless there's a wider culture change.

Multi-headed Cow

madbringer said:
root said:
madbringer said:

paranoia?

Fallout 3 touched me in my private place when i was little. :(
He's not calling you paranoid, citizen Madb-R-ING-1. Since you jumped to this conclusion it speaks of a guilty conscience. Report to the food-vats for immediate termination. Friend Computer is watching.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom