Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Game Over Reviews Sacred - and says things...

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Ascaron Entertainment; Sacred

Game Over Online has just <a href="http://www.game-over.net/reviews.php?id=924">reviewed</a> <a href="http://www.ascaron.com/">Ascaron's</a> Sacred and the reviewer had very little good to say about it, giving it a 7/10. We'll get to that in a bit. Check out these first couple of paragraphs from the <a href="http://www.game-over.net/reviews.php?id=924">review</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>It’s strange, but when Diablo came out in 1996, despite being very successful, it didn’t generate any imitators. In fact, it wasn’t until right around the release of Diablo II in 2000 that similar titles like Darkstone, Nox, and Throne of Darkness arrived. That, I think, is a testament to Blizzard Entertainment and the fact that creating an action role-playing game isn’t as easy as it looks.
<br>
<br>
Or, let me rephrase. Perhaps creating the engine is time-consuming but straightforward enough (compared to other game engines), but doing something intriguing with the engine, and making sure the engine creates a fair and balanced world, is where problems arise. Consider a couple recent role-playing games in Temple of Elemental Evil and Divine Divinity. Both had excellent engines, but both suffered from other problems. Temple had the worst excuse for a campaign that I’ve ever played, while Divinity was one of the worst balanced games that I’ve ever played.</blockquote>
<br>
Now, normally I would agree that Temple of Elemental Evil had a very weak campaign, but I wonder how anyone could honestly come up with the idea that Temple was a Diablo imitator? As for the real review, here's a snippet:<blockquote>
<br>
Mostly, the single-player campaign sends you on a tour of the world. Walk here, and then walk there. And, hey, you missed that obscure corner over there! Walk there, too! And what you do on this trek is kill stuff over and over. The game keeps track of some statistics for you, and what I discovered after finishing the game as a gladiator is that I killed about 7000 creatures (including over 600 goblins) in about 30 hours. That works out to almost 4 kills per minute! Just how exciting can combat be if you’re mowing through enemies that quickly? Not very. Even the final boss was a joke, since he got into a pathfinding loop and never attacked me.</blockquote>
<br>
That about sums up my experience with the game, and probably everyone else's, too. He ends the review by stating that one should probably wait until it hits the bargain bin before purchasing it.

Anonymous

And he still thinks Diablo is good? what

It's a shitty version of ADOM.

Nightjed

Liturgist
lets see ....
first he says he doesnt know why the hell is called Sacred because of the almost nonexistant story, then he says you play some kind of a monster slaying tourist in the world, then he complains about the vague uninteresting quests, then he says he didnt feel exited during the game, that he only had fun rarely and that he wouldnt recomend it and finally he trashes it with the "might worth picking up from the bargain bin"

what about the good parts ? : the interface (what the hell is he smoking ?) and the opening vignettes (that were allready trashed in the "no story" thing)

all this brings me to a question : HOW THE "#$$&"#** does a game as "bad" as described gets a 70% ? so a 70% game is "worth of a bargain bin" ? WOW !

* Nightjed remembers the days where this kind of games got their worthy "30~40%" and wasnt necesary to read the review to know it sucked

Spazmo

Erudite
That's why we never put numerical ratings on games. Most scores you'll see are totally arbitrarily assigned and based on each person's personal scale. This guy's 70%, for instance, is obviously 40% for you. It's just hard to quantify the quality of a game in a number so it's generally better to just read the review itself and seek the answer to one yes or no question: did the reviewer like the game?

the_dagon

Educated
rating by number

I use numbers as rating

from one to five
and divided it into subsections :
graphics / sounds
interface
storyline
gameplay

I don't think it's arbitrary... as for the interface :
1 means unplayble
2 means bad
3 means OK
4 means very good
5 means awesome

maybe "gameplay" or "storyline" is more subjective :)

johannesprix

Novice
Exitium said:
Perhaps creating the engine is time-consuming but straightforward enough (compared to other game engines), but doing something intriguing with the engine[...], is where problems arise.
The guy has suprising insight. It's not even very time-consuming. When working full time, one guy alone more than sufficient for that. The artwork takes more time, content takes most time. That's why games with good content and game depth are scarce. Heh, and there's nothing our project could to about this lack :)

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Considering that clearly below average games like PoR2 or Lionheart score scores around 5-6, it makes it seem like instead of 5 (on a scale of 0-10) 7or even 8 is actually what is perceived as average by most reviewers. It works like that with school marks, even, where even though the scale is 0-100, the "average" is 70 and anything below 50 is failure and is just marked 50- What can I say, some people have to go back to grade 2 math class :roll:

Rosh

Erudite
Holy shit...I've never seen such clueless idiocy about game history in a long time.

Steven 'Westlake' Carter = Fuckwit.

There was a lot of Diablo imitators long before Diablo II was even announced, that kid is too naive and ignorant to know what they were. It's also good that the stupid shit believes that the games spontaneously released themselves. It makes it easy to laugh at anything else they have to say. Darkstone = before Diablo II. Nox = before Diablo II. Baldur's Gate = before Diablo II. Throne of Darkness I might accept...if it had a development time of shortly over a year.

Goddamn these stupid as hell kids and being able to post garbage as "fact". They also show absolutely no clue about development outside of the shiny box they receive in return for posting their brain droppings that are passed off as "content" for their site.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, I didn't feel much like pointing that out when I made the post since it should be naturally evident to almost everyone who's been following the gaming industry for the past 7 years. The guy's an imbecile who probably thinks that if Stalker is released a month after Half Life 2, it must be a clone of HL2.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
My personal preference for game scores is a simple boolean. Should I buy this game? Yes / No.

There are plenty of games that are better than some I've played, but I'd still buy some of the "bad" ones because on some level, I enjoyed them. They were something different and at least for a while, I was entertained.

Anonymous

In the future, there will be real life gangs based around browser usage.

LOOKS LIKE WE GOT SOME FIREFOXES ON THE BLOCK, OPERA BOYS, COME ON.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
LlamaGod said:
OPERA BOYS, COME ON.
It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom