Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Inside the Vault: Obsidian’s Joe Sanabria

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

... gets some <a href="http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/04/28/inside-the-vault-obsidians-joe-sanabria/">time in the spotlight</a> at the Bethblog.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;"><b>What’s your job at Obsidian?</b>
<br>
<br>
I’m a Senior Artist here at the studio, which is what they call you when you get gray hairs and have been doing this for a few years.
<br>
My job in a nutshell is to make Fallout: New Vegas look good. I focus on the visual development of the game and define the artistic direction.
<br>
<br>
<b>What games have you worked on?</b>
<br>
<br>
The first game I worked on was called the Neverhood Chronicles, a cool little PC title done entirely in clay. After that I worked on Skullmonkeys, which was a side scrolling platform game on the PS1. In addition to being one of the level designers, I was also a level boss named Joe Head Joe.
<br>
From design and art I moved into a Producer role and worked on Boombots. After that I worked on some more main stream titles, Test Drive Off-Road and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, in which I got to create the some of the in-game characters including the Governator himself.
<br>
And now I’m working on this game called Fallout: New Vegas!
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Bethesda does not only hold whole Obsidian Entertainment hostage - no, <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97701-bethesda-softworks-expands-in-europe.html">according to Gamebanshee</a> they're infiltrating Germany as we speak.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">April 29, 2010 (London, UK) – Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax® Media company, today announced the expansion of its global operations, opening offices in Frankfurt, Germany and Paris, France.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Where will it end?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97702-bethesda-softworks-inside-the-vault-qaa-joe-sanabria.html">Gamebanshee</A>

yaster

Liturgist
Artist + Neverhood = win!

Even though the rest of his resume sucks

Andhaira

Arcane
Hey I remember Neverhood. It was pretty ground breaking for its time.

sintinian

Novice
the artwork for neverhood chronicles was remarkable. never played skullmonkeys but i believe it's set in the same world as neverhood.
terminator 3? what a waste...

yaster

Liturgist
I did google it out and this is Joe's Joe-Head-Joe

Joe-Head_Joe_logo.png

denizsi

Arcane
Regardless, it's cool that one of the Neverhood devs is still in the industry and honestly, going from Neverhood to working on a potentially shit but good game at a company known for their buggy incomplete alpha releases beats working as a total fucking nobody at a totally obscure studio nobody has ever heard, doing stuff nobody ever gives a damn about (see John Romero).

Arcanoix

Scholar
denizsi said:
working as a total fucking nobody at a totally obscure studio nobody has ever heard, doing stuff nobody ever gives a damn about (see John Romero).

We're ALL total nobodies working in industries that no one cares about, and nowadays, even if you're in a good industry - you're still a nobody.

denizsi

Arcane
That's not the point. I'm not talking about fame.

going from Neverhood to

ie. possibly a good, creative and stimulating position where you can also enjoy appreciation of your work from a relatively large base of people.

Arcanoix

Scholar
denizsi said:
That's not the point. I'm not talking about fame.

I'm not either. I'm talking about being someone who actually matters. In terms of skill, knowledge, etc. In the bigger picture, we're just typing on a Forum that no series developer cares about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom