Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Arcania: Gothic 4 Media

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: DreamCatcher Interactive; Gothic 4: Arcania

Bored?
<br>
<br>
Here are <are <a href="http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/54665/Arcania-Gothic-4-Screenshots-Box-Art-Trailers">screenshots</a>, and <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG0YPrrAMCk&feature=player_embedded">two more</a> <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9y9F4kkDZ0&feature=player_embedded">trailers.</a>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97763-arcania-gothic-4-box-shot-screenshots-and-trailers.html">GB</A>

Fez

Erudite
VentilatorOfDoom said:

No one is browsing here because they're participating in an orgy on a bus driving through a minefield.

Apart from Blackhart.

Phelot

Arcane
If it's anything like Risen then it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm not really seeing anything impressive yet, but then I wasn't impressed with the screenshots and features of Risen either? Then I played it.

Turok

Erudite
When i will see a game where when you beat someone you can take the armor or clothes is wearing, also if i do damage lets say to the shoulder with my hammer i want see that damage on the armor and get a option to repair it if i am smith or ask someone to repair the armor for me.

nomask7

Arcane
phelot said:

I'm not really seeing anything impressive yet, but then I wasn't impressed with the screenshots and features of Risen either? Then I played it.
Why would it be anything like Risen? Risen was made by Piranha Bytes, who made Gothic, Gothic 2, NotR, and Gothic 3, all of which were superb games, although the last one was flawed. Arcania is made by the people who let Forsaken Gods happen. Expect the worst. Whatever happens, don't under any circumstances pay for the game.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Turok said:
When i will see a game where when you beat someone you can take the armor or clothes is wearing
Good thing you didn't say RPG.

Hitman.

yaster

Liturgist
nomask7 said:
Arcania is made by the people who let Forsaken Gods happen. Expect the worst. Whatever happens, don't under any circumstances pay for the game.

Spellbound has little to do with Forsaken Gods. You may want to check your facts next time.

If you want some background for Arcania developers then they are commandos clones makers - seems like they do this very thing for a decade now, with varying effect. They initial games - desperados and Robin Hood - were pretty decent. I'm far from being fan or even sympathetic, I prefer commandos 2 without hesitation but calling these games outright bad would be misconception.

btw: PST was made by man behind Descent to Undermountain, Fallout was made by creators of Stonekeep and Gothic by some unknown newbies. That didn't stopped these games from being brilliant. Why then the developers background matter so much? As it would be ultimate argument of some kind.

Everything

Novice
nomask7 said:
phelot said:

Why would it be anything like Risen? Risen was made by Piranha Bytes, who made Gothic, Gothic 2, NotR, and Gothic 3, all of which were superb games, although the last one was flawed. Arcania is made by the people who let Forsaken Gods happen. Expect the worst. Whatever happens, don't under any circumstances pay for the game.

This

surely made of fail

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
yaster said:
nomask7 said:
Arcania is made by the people who let Forsaken Gods happen. Expect the worst. Whatever happens, don't under any circumstances pay for the game.
Spellbound has little to do with Forsaken Gods. You may want to check your facts next time.
Let's rephrase it then: the people making Arcania were brought into the project by the same publishers who thought kicking PB out and bringing in an Indian company to do Forsaken Gods was a good idea.

Better?

Pseudofool

Scholar
Sceptic said:
yaster said:
nomask7 said:
Let's rephrase it then: the people making Arcania were brought into the project by the same publishers who thought kicking PB out and bringing in an Indian company to do Forsaken Gods was a good idea.

Better?
You're right, Jowood should have been perfectly happy with the state that Gothic 3 arrived in.

I wouldn't discount a developer because it's publisher has made a poor, cheapskate decision regarding Forsaken Gods. But that's me; I'm reasonable, though.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Pseudofool said:
You're right, Jowood should have been perfectly happy with the state that Gothic 3 arrived in.
Of course not. They should've tried to fix it. Which they didn't.

I wouldn't discount a developer because it's publisher has made a poor, cheapskate decision regarding Forsaken Gods.
I am not discounting Spellbound, I'm discounting Jowood. They were perfectly happy releasing Gothic 3, a potentially great game with some serious flaws. Then, instead of working with PB to fix the flaws, they instead get rid of PB and get Trine. Instead of working with Trine to release FG as "what Gothic 3 should've been" they managed to publish a game with all the flaws of Gothic 3 and none of its strengths. THEN they get Spellbound in and I'm supposed to expect Arcania to be great?

Maybe it will. Maybe Spellbound are extremely talented and Jowood have learned from their mistakes. The first one I am willing to believe in, as I have nothing for or against Spellbound and haven't played any of their games, so why not give them the benefit of the doubt. The second one? not so much.

Fez

Erudite
I think Forsaken Gods undermined much of their efforts to rebuild after the G3 issues. G3 was salvaged to a great extent in the end, but FG was such a stinker it must have left a bad taste with fans and newcomers alike. When people think of the Gothic series you're hoping they will fondly remember playing Gothic 1, 2 + NotR or perhaps the patched up 3 - but not with FG as their last memory of the series.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Turok said:
Jack said:
Turok said:
When i will see a game where when you beat someone you can take the armor or clothes is wearing
Good thing you didn't say RPG.

Hitman.

and localized damage on clothes and armor?

Sadly, no.
But there could be in the sequel.

That would actually be quite interesting.
You would have to be really careful, so that you will be able to wear the victim's clothes after you've killed him.

yaster

Liturgist
Pseudofool said:
Sceptic said:

I wouldn't discount a developer because it's publisher has made a poor, cheapskate decision regarding Forsaken Gods. But that's me; I'm reasonable, though.

This.

Basing your opinion of a game on a publisher is very silly concept for me. Every single one is exactly the same. Every single one of them is concerned only about money. They are money holders, money spenders, money earners and that's all about them. They seems like necessary evil for more than low budget game. They might influence direction, maybe block some controversial ideas but in the end - games are made by developers and the fate of a game lies in these hands.

Activision is evil empire duo, will It influence my reaction towards Starcraft 2? Not really. EA every year release sequels of crappy sports games - do I discard ME2 just because of that? Nope. Take2 rush on easy money with Biocock 2, is my perception of Civ5 changed? Sorry, no.

There are far better reasons to criticize games than their publishers. No matter how crappy.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I suggest to look at Europe 1400 gold. It's still bugfest which nobody repaired. Look at Spellforce I and II. Basically everything which they produced is INCREDIBLE bugfest.

While producers do care about money, some producers will not like to release game too early, or don't like to screw things up.

1C publishing is similar, but they at least have some bright days.

nomask7

Arcane
Different publishers have a different track record of releasing inexcusable crap. JoWood is in the category of publishers that no one ought to support in any conceivable scenario. If JoWood had published the first Gothic, I would be willing to give them a hell of a lot of slack. They didn't. They jumped in with Gothic 2 when it looked like they could safely make good money from a rising star.

That's when the bugginess of PB games started.

Bad publishers will make even good developers bungle their games.

Watch and see.

Crichton

Prophet
I've got rather mixed feelings. I liked all three gothics + Risen (I own but haven't played "Forsaken Gods"). But I don't insist that games of a given "series" have to have much in common with each other (i.e. I'll judge this game on its on merits not on its merits as a "game in the gothic series").

On the other hand, this whole thing sounds like a bad deal, unreliable publisher (and hence presumably a low budget and a rushed job), unproven dev studio and another sequel game that's being made for all the wrong reasons. It's hard to be too optimistic about what a situation like that can produce. It's basically the formula for Fallout 3 minus the money.

Realistically, I'll still end up buying this once it gets down around US$15-20, after all, I bought FG.

Pseudofool

Scholar
How long has Spellbound had with Acarnia?
How long did PB get with Gothic 3?

It seems Spellbound might be getting some more development time than PB got; maybe Jowood is learning something through this mess. Of course, my sense of time could be craptastic.

FWIW, I'm replaying Gothic 3 for the third time, never encountered the game breaking bugs, or lags, others complained about.

godsend1989

Scholar
Don`t rush to conclusions on a game that you didn't played it yet, from what i read everything in the game is made from scratch that must be pretty unique.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom