Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Arcania: Gothic 4 Media

nomask7

Arcane
There are some areas in Gothic 3 that don't run quite smoothly. They may be different for different people. Some people have trouble with certain caves, or all caves.

It's a graphix card / display driver issue. If the newest drivers don't help, try as old as you can get. Try something from between. Doesn't help? Get a graphix card from 2005.

Of course, that won't remove the stutter resulting from the game fucking the hard drive in the ass some people have had issues with. (Shouldn't be a problem with the newest Gothic 3 patch though.)

yaster

Liturgist
Raghar said:
I suggest to look at Europe 1400 gold. It's still bugfest which nobody repaired. Look at Spellforce I and II. Basically everything which they produced is INCREDIBLE bugfest.

I played Europe. I wouldn't called it good, and as far as I remember it was because of faulty design. It has nice basic ideas about what game, but the execution was lacklustre. Boring and repetitive. Don't remember technical faults except it looking like ass...

I know little about Spellforce. But seems like general (aka morons, bug-haters) public likes JoWooD's SF2 slightly more than effort from the same developer under EA's wings - Battleforge. In other words: one developer, two publishers, one and the same shit. Figures.

Fuck, JoWooD's back catalogue sucks. Really hard. Ohh wait. Silent Storm! AHA. And Arx Fatalis. Victory is mine! I can totally smell napalm, just you wait till the morning. Victory at sea! :cool:

Grand total of 2 worthy titles. So did they publish something interesting since 2003? Erm, well they acquired Dream Catcher in 2007... with had some gems, mostly as Adventure Company, and before they were acquired that is... fuck, what I'm even defending? What kind of shitty company is this, fucking JoWooD. I resent the notion of forming opinion on games based on publishers but JoWooD is absolutely not making my case any easier, fucking JoWooD...

Let's call it a tie :smug:

While producers do care about money, some producers will not like to release game too early, or don't like to screw things up.

Speculation :lol:

1C publishing is similar, but they at least have some bright days.

Katauri and (those guy's from Soldiers and ' of War) seems to be pretty good and they are raised under 1C wings.

nomask7 said:
Different publishers have a different track record of releasing inexcusable crap. JoWood is in the category of publishers that no one ought to support in any conceivable scenario. If JoWood had published the first Gothic, I would be willing to give them a hell of a lot of slack. They didn't. They jumped in with Gothic 2 when it looked like they could safely make good money from a rising star.

That's when the bugginess of PB games started.

So when everything is ok then it is despite Publisher effort. I suppose these evil publishers cut the game in the first place so then they could sell part of it as expansion. Brilliant villainy! And when bugs appear while developer wanted to make bigger game than they can chew, with big-ass world, plenitude of cities, factions, quest and what's not, with a lot of wildlife and governing it AI then all of sudden publishers is responsible? I suppose it's JoWooD fault that engine was botched up and caused constant stutter.

From my perspective seems that Piranha is pretty much guilty of Gothic3 state, at least partially. Pushing everything on JoWooD side of fence is unfair.

Bad publishers will make even good developers bungle their games.

Watch and see.

Statistically games have way higher rate of failure than success, therefore negative 'watch and see' attitude is bound to be a winner more frequently than opposite one. You are standing on better ground, even without bringing into consideration any other circumstances.

Also: I never said Spellbound is in good shape, their noticeable stuff is nearly decade old and as RPG developer they are unproven. That's like newbie developer. I actually think they will fail, but not because JoWooD is evliz.

Fez

Erudite
JoWood have a history of funding or selling interesting and unusual games, which I like, but they also have a history of not patching and fixing the damn things and for pushing them out the gate in an unpolished or unfinished state.

I'd be worried to see anything left in their hands as it's a toss up whether or not it will work okay when it is shipped.

At best it will be good, very ambitious, original but broken and in desperate need of another 6 months development time to polish it or about two or three years of fan patching and tweaks.

A touch pessimistic, but it is a likely outcome. I'd be very happy indeed if it decided to prove me wrong on the buggy side of things (but kept the other positive elements).

Shannow

Waster of Time
Wow, I'd completely forgotten about Forsaken Gods. Watched Trine's track record, heared that FG was a crappy bugfest and remembered the hot chick anchor better than the existence of the expansion.

Jowood should have gone with Arcania 1 instead of Gothic 4: Arcania. The same way Bethesda should have gone with TESV: Future Apocalypse

PB already managed to make Risen have the story of G4 without obvious copyright infringements and - whether or not Spellbound manage to make a fun/good Gothic clone - I doubt Spellbound'll manage to keep the "Gothic feel".
The same fucked-uppedness FO3 had just with Black Isle still being around and having released the true FO3 under another name.

It's just "suits" seeing "franchises" instead of the creative minds behind them.

[EDIT]: Hurr hurr, I now actually bothered watching the new trailers. They look a lot better than the first ones. A lot more like Gothic than like generic F2P-MMO number 101. Didn't look bad at all...

Fez

Erudite
At least we have Risen if this one turns out to be a stinker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom