Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dragon Age: A Turn Based RPG?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

<a href="http://www.sorcerers.net/index.shtml#newsitem1085422201,70933">Sorcerer's Place</a> (our host site) has a long list of Dragon Age <a href="http://forums.bioware.com//viewpost.html?topic=352743&post=2893359&forum=84&highlight=">forum</a> snippets and this one caught my attention in particular:<blockquote>
<br>
<b>Georg Zeller wrote:</b>
<br>
I think it is fairly safe to say that Dragon Age will not use the Jade Empire Rules system.
<br>
<br>
Jade Empire (http://jade.bioware.com) is an Action Role Playing game that features real time combat, Dragon Age combat will be very different from that, it wouldn't make much sense to use the same rules system.</blockquote>
<br>
Does that mean that Dragon Age could be a turn-based RPG, or a variation thereof? Here's even more from <b>Scott Greig</b>
<br>
<blockquote>At this point it seemed like a good idea to try to use the Kotor style control (explore mode) for exploration and the BG style for combat (tactical mode). Of course there was big concern about how jarring the transition would be, so we built a proof of concept test to try this out.
<br>
<br>
What we found was that the two systems worked pretty seamlessly. What I was surprised about was the fact that I was engaging in combat in explore mode for some of the easy battles and using the tactical mode for the more difficult ones. I personally find the explore mode the best for, well, exploring and tactical mode for combat.
<br>
<br>
We will have the option for both manual and automatic switching of the camera modes so you will be able to play the game exactly like BG or Kotor if you choose, but I think that most of the people will play it in the hybrid mode.</blockquote>
<br>
What exactly is 'hybrid' mode? Is that just another euphemism for pause-and-play (which Jade Empire and KOTOR feature) or is it an actual variant of turn-based mode? What's up, Bioware?
<br>
<br>
Thanks for the heads up, <b>Patrick</b>.

Voss

Erudite
hybrid: using both the kotor style exploration mode and the BG style combat.

You're reading too much into it, nothing in those comments suggests turned based

The jade empire combat, I suspect, is the continuous battle you find in most console fighting games. No pause, no simulated initiative based rounds or anything like. Just fight fight fight until combat is over. Since you'll only control a single character, not too obnoxious.

DA will probably be simulated rounds in real time with pause, similar to BG.

The Pope

Novice
Bio going turn-based? Hell no...

Are you guys so obsessed with TB that you read it everywhere you can?

Anyway, I wouldn't count on it.

Jed

Cipher
Y'know, I would be a bit more interested in this title if it was set in the Jade Empires world. Anything but another Tolkien-(un)inspired fantasy milieu. I also don't understand why they didn't do it from a marketing standpoint. Wouldn't having two different style of game on two different platforms set in the same IP be TEH SYNERGY! or something?

But yeah, I wouldn't even expect BioWare to give us an optional TB mode...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yes, It will be turn-based and Bio already has a fully functioning TB engine according to my sources. What sources? Come on, you know I can't tell you that. What? I'm full of shit? Am certainly not! You want proof? Fine. Open your KOTOR manual on page 30 and read Real Time Turn Based Combat! Told ya!

Snuffles

Novice
It is pause and play, they said so in that faq that was mentioned last week.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
To Bioware Paus and Play = Turn Based.

Why?

My sources say it is a bunch of marketing hype.

Who are my sources?

I don't know. I just made it all up.

Why?

I'm an asshole.

Dhruin

Liturgist
From the official FAQ

1.04: What will combat be like in Dragon Age? (Back to Top)

Dragon Age will have real-time, party-based combat. The player explores the world with an over-the-shoulder camera view as seen in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, but when combat begins, the camera can be switched to a top-down tactical view similar to that in Baldur's Gate. Combat will be in real time but will allow the player to pause the action ('pause and play') and assign commands to his party members.

Seems pretty clear to me.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think lots of folks are hopeful bioware is gonna be like a retarded kid who has an epihany and stops poking the rattlesnake with a stick, but we all know thats not gonna happen

Rosh

Erudite
Dhruin said:
Seems pretty clear to me.

We already know that. However, and this is just a test, we're trying to see if it's true that all BioWare, much like David Gaider, would believe anything posted by the gaming media about them. They enjoy claiming such items as "innovative", "first time", and much more, which would fool their regular audience of ADHD bread mould under 14 years old, but not anyone who has actually been around for some time and aware of the developments in the genre.

I already have lost interest in this title as it's billed as a spiritual successor to BioWare's past games. If so, then that means to me "uninspired and boring with lots of fanservice" but without the cheap fanservice this time.

Can't blame us for trying to shake that, can you? :)

Spazmo

Erudite
I say we fire Rex and hire Volourn and then fire Volourn and hire a wacky comic relief immigrant who bungles everything and barely speaks English.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Wouldn't that mean you'd just be rehiring me? :shock:

Stark

Liturgist
I'm beginning to have high hopes for Dragon age. from what the bioware guy says, i gather they're sincere abt trying new things.

sure combat not being turn base is dissapointing, but it's party based so we may see a return of somewhat tactical combat similar to BG2.

Seven

Erudite
Stark said:
I'm beginning to have high hopes for Dragon age. from what the bioware guy says, i gather they're sincere abt trying new things.

sure combat not being turn base is dissapointing, but it's party based so we may see a return of somewhat tactical combat similar to BG2.

If by trying new things you mean that they're doing the same thing again, then yeah, they are trying new things. :roll:

Stark

Liturgist
hmm... sure, the part abt exploration vs overhead camera combat mode does not sound exciting. It's akin to combining combat in BG with exploration mode in NWN, so i personally don't think it's big deal.

if the game has some good story, somewhat tactical combat, and some role-playing aspects (not keeping my hopes high on that), I'm a happy man.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
If it truly is Pause and Play then why don't they just come out and say it? After all, there really wasn't any difference between KOTOR and BG so why even bother to make the difference stating that the combat is going to be 'different' and 'more tactical' than those of their previous games?

Granted it's not going to be turn-based, but what kind of changes could they make to the pause and play system that would make it more tactical?

Transcendent One

Liturgist
BG2 had very good combat. Tactical, lots of options, fun. I especially liked the mage battles. Very well done. NWN and KotOR's sucked in their combat, though, it makes you wonder if Bioware changed some of their staff or something. If they go back to BG2 style combat while keeping all the other gameplay aspects of for example KotOR I'd be rather pleased.

Spazmo

Erudite
Dhruin said:
1.04: What will combat be like in Dragon Age? (Back to Top)

Dragon Age will have real-time, party-based combat. The player explores the world with an over-the-shoulder camera view as seen in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, but when combat begins, the camera can be switched to a top-down tactical view similar to that in Baldur's Gate. Combat will be in real time but will allow the player to pause the action ('pause and play') and assign commands to his party members.

Which part of this isn't clear, Rex? It's pausable RT.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Geez.. When Spaz can see it; there's something. BIO has been very clear in what kind of combat one should expect for DA. Bottom line is if you don't like BIO's style of puase n play/pseudo turn base-real time combat that has been in ALL their crpgs from BG to BG2 to NWN to KOTOR; than you will not like DA's combat mostly likely.

As the faq quite clarly states it. Geez..

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Hey, it's obvious that the game is going to be in pause and play. There's no need to point that out to me. I'm just curious if they are adding more options during the pause, like counterattacks or whatnot as opposed to the usual 6 second rounds crap that they used in BG and NWN.

I'm talking about delving beyond the surface 'pausable RT'. You could say that both TOEE and Final Fantasy games are turn based and it'd be as clear as that but that would hardly describe the differences the two games have with each other in combat, especially since Final Fantasy has point breaks whereas TOEE has attacks of opportunity.

Yes, they are both turn based. Yes, that is clear. But there are some nuances that would make the two combat modes different from each other. Just the same, I'm wondering if there are any nuances that separate Dragon Age's combat from BG's 6 second rounds.

Is that clear enough for you, Spazmo? Try reading what people write in full next time, instead of typing up some quick bullshit response intended to flame.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Volourn said:
Geez.. When Spaz can see it; there's something. BIO has been very clear in what kind of combat one should expect for DA. Bottom line is if you don't like BIO's style of puase n play/pseudo turn base-real time combat that has been in ALL their crpgs from BG to BG2 to NWN to KOTOR; than you will not like DA's combat mostly likely.

As the faq quite clarly states it. Geez..

Really? :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom