Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info ZombieBear DoublePoll

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; DoubleBear Productions

<p>There is a poll over at the ITS forums. <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1518.0.html" target="_blank">Quick, go there and vote.</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>This week isn't a marketing exercise, I swear. We've talked about quite a few systems now, and we're curious what the big draw in the game is for our regulars and those new to the site. To help with that, we've got a poll this week, with voting enabled. <br /><br />The question is: What is the most exciting element in ZRPG for you? <br /><br />We have a FAQ and older updates for those of you still wondering how parts of the game will work. If you want to say more or tell us how you heard about the project, we'd really appreciate it.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Bro, I totally heard it at the Codex. Plus I know you worked on Bloodlines and voiced Romero, and I think I heard your voice on an audio tape during the Muddy Mike quest too. OK, you can't hold a candle as a voice actor to that guy who voiced Grouts Audio diary (who was that?) but anyway, you've got some bonus points. So I give you the benefit of doubt for now. I would have loved to pick TB combat, but I fear it won't be all that exciting, so I went with Indie Dev instead.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/">ITS</a></p>

1eyedking

Erudite
I'd go for the mechanics. Indie developers still can't grasp the concept of good art direction in a game so that department will probably suck major cock; which probably means the game will be a piece of shit unless they really, really get some good, balanced mechanics going.

Which I doubt, though I'm still hopeful.

Silellak

Cipher
1eyedking said:
I'd go for the mechanics. Indie developers still can't grasp the concept of good art direction in a game so that department will probably suck major cock; which probably means the game will be a piece of shit unless they really, really get some good, balanced mechanics going.

Which I doubt, though I'm still hopeful.
Not having good art direction = game will be a piece of shit?

1eyedking

Erudite
Silellak said:
Not having good art direction = game will be a piece of shit?
Never said that. But bad art direction can ruin a game's enjoyment even if the mechanics are well designed (JA2, Wizardries, etc.). Of course, the opposite can happen as well (Arcanum, Company of Heroes, etc.).

At this point of indie game development I'm not expecting Thief-quality art direction, so if the mechanics suck, there's no point in playing the game.

yaster

Liturgist
Artwhore...

ffs JA2? Ruin enjoyment? What is more enjoyable than JA2?

Bad art direction, bad graphics etc. are negligible. Simple as that.

1eyedking

Erudite
JA2 is OK. Could have been an instant classic if it had had a more serious artistic department, but it's still a cool game nonetheless if only because it goes for the safe realistic route.

The Wizardries on the other hand are downright unplayable.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
1eyedking said:
JA2 is OK. Could have been an instant classic if it had had a more serious artistic department.

This is the key to understanding trolling.

1eyedking

Erudite
Well, yes, it's a classic, but definitely not in the upper echelons of games that got both departments right.

yaster

Liturgist
WTF? It is instant classic. FFS, JA2?! Man, are you from moon?

Wizardry 8 is ok. The only problem problem I had are masses of monsters you've to defeat, and how tedious it gets at times. Hardly art related stuff.

Either way, I wouldn't said that JA2 or Wiz8 have particularly bad art direction, I would bent a little on the other side for both, but that's just me. Let's find something else.

How about civ4, it rather boring and uninspiring looking game, low poly 3d, bleh. Fantastic game. MotB? Reuses a lot from nwn2, not bad looking but far from being outstanding (except maybe for shadowland and that dead god), yet another fabulous game. Ha! I know! Armadillo Run, It barely have any look, but what a game it is! Crusader Kings? I love that game, and there is only map to look at. Same with democracy 2. Ohh, system shock 2 - in my humble opinion it looks like ass, low poly models even for its time, I'm far from praising art direction... though admittedly it has some outstanding audio, for me it makes for half of the game, audio alone.

Cenobyte

Prophet
1eyedking said:
JA2 is OK. Could have been an instant classic if it had had a more serious artistic department, but it's still a cool game nonetheless if only because it goes for the safe realistic route.

The Wizardries on the other hand are downright unplayable.

Ahhh yahh. Very bad trolling attempt.

Edit: SerratedBiz was faster...

denizsi

Arcane
I was looking forward to survival mechanics, wishing for a simulationist approach but turned out they're going with a pretty much gamist mainstream approach in that area. So, I don't know.

Mortmal

Arcane
went for story , but then again its to pick one , most items in the poll are important to make a good game. Survival mechanism are very good too but only if theres a stroy behind first. Ah i miss games like robison crusoe or deus ex machina ( the silmarils games) with a true survival aspect, you could sever your own limbs if you had too, catch diseases, starve, it was fantastic the gameplay excellent and the graphics were very good at their times.

1eyedking

Erudite
yaster said:
WTF? It is instant classic. FFS, JA2?! Man, are you from moon?

Wizardry 8 is ok. The only problem problem I had are masses of monsters you've to defeat, and how tedious it gets at times. Hardly art related stuff.

Either way, I wouldn't said that JA2 or Wiz8 have particularly bad art direction, I would bent a little on the other side for both, but that's just me. Let's find something else.

How about civ4, it rather boring and uninspiring looking game, low poly 3d, bleh. Fantastic game. MotB? Reuses a lot from nwn2, not bad looking but far from being outstanding (except maybe for shadowland and that dead god), yet another fabulous game. Ha! I know! Armadillo Run, It barely have any look, but what a game it is! Crusader Kings? I love that game, and there is only map to look at. Same with democracy 2. Ohh, system shock 2 - in my humble opinion it looks like ass, low poly models even for its time, I'm far from praising art direction... though admittedly it has some outstanding audio, for me it makes for half of the game, audio alone.
Doesn't have any idea what art direction is.

Also, for the record, Civ4 consists of Axemen spam and Cottage spam, and exploiting tech trading at higher difficulty levels because the AI is goddamn atrocious. Even at multiplayer it depends 100% on what military resources you randomly have access to, so it's mostly a game of luck.

yaster

Liturgist
1eyedking said:
Doesn't have any idea what art direction is.

Let me guess - It is something that games you like just have? And those, with you don't like, just don't have. That's rich.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
So when is Age of Decadence going to be released? I'll start caring for the zombie game after I know that something is coming out.

1eyedking

Erudite
yaster said:
Let me guess - It is something that games you like just have? And those, with you don't like, just don't have. That's rich.
There are tons of games that lack good art direction that I like. Civilization, Counter-Strike, Battlefield 2, Diablo II, Warcraft III, and...well, lots of others.

It's that games with good art are very, very few.

yaster

Liturgist
1eyedking said:
There are tons of games that lack good art direction that I like. Civilization, Counter-Strike, Battlefield 2, Diablo II, Warcraft III, and...well, lots of others.

It's that games with good art are very, very few.

Then why do you complain? Art direction is as I said negligible. So is graphics as a whole. It does not make a game.

If it's good it a boon, no doubt. But as you said It is rather rare thing and I see no reason to believe lacking one would make game bad, or it would require at least a divine intervention to make it good. Graphic is only one way of rewarding the player, I don't even think that it is particularly important. Sometimes challenge alone is enough.

I like how the great 'art lovers' are from thirdworldia and will, in all probability, never actually spend any money on this game. At least if you read their posts in other indie release threads...

Bearing this in mind, I couldn't really give a damn about what they think regarding 'art direction'.

Multi-headed Cow

POOPERSCOOPER said:
So when is Age of Decadence going to be released? I'll start caring for the zombie game after I know that something is coming out.
Final beta begins March 2011.

Multi-headed Cow

Blackadder said:
I like how the great 'art lovers' are from thirdworldia and will, in all probability, never actually spend any money on this game. At least if you read their posts in other indie release threads...

Bearing this in mind, I couldn't really give a damn about what they think regarding 'art direction'.
Art wants to be free~

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom