Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Interplay running again, Titus bankrupt

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Herve Caen; Interplay

Per <A href="http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/08/news_6100200.html">this article</a> on <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/">GameSpot</A>, it appears <A href="Http://www.interplay.com">Interplay</a> has decided to pay it's employees so it can open it's doors. Meanwhile, <a href="Http://www.titusgames.com">Titus</A> is still <i>DOOMED</i>. Here's a clip:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Just days after California authorities forced Interplay to close its doors, the publisher has apparently reopened them. A late-breaking report from The Orange County Register says that CEO Herve Caen succeeded in acquiring workers' compensation insurance for the financially ailing company, thereby allowing work to resume at its Irvine, CA offices. The offices were forcibly closed Friday by state labor inspectors due to lack of workers' compensation insurance and unpaid wages.
<br>
<br>
Ironically, the good news for Interplay came on the same day the publisher's majority shareholder, France-based Titus Interactive, declared bankruptcy. Speaking to GameSpot, sources close to the developing story said they heard news of the bankruptcy from Caen himself. Caen founded Titus in 1985 with his brother, Eric. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I think they re-openned for the <i>EVERYTHING MUST GO CLEARANCE PROPERTY SALE 2004</i> so <A href="Http://www.titusgames.com">Titus</a> can get some money.
<br>

plin

Liturgist
Maybe herve has a logical thing in mind this time?

Voss

Erudite
Heh. No way.

At best he's going to stave off the inevitable by selling an IP to some sucker who's too foolish to wait for the inevitable death. (Someone who has cash to waste, and thinks they'll get a jump on other people by doing so).

Interesting question: Are *any* IPs really worth buying at this point? When you break it down, do they bring in enough extra money (including what you have to pay out for the IP in the first place, fees, licenses etc) to make any of them worthwhile?

And if so, anybody think the ones Iplay still have hold that sort of potential?

Eclecticist

Liturgist
And on and on it goes. The only thing I actually care about is that if Fallout gets sold off, it is to a worthy publisher.

I dunno, I'm not terribly interested in who gets Fallout anymore. It's just a name now, for sure now everyone who worked on it is now spread out in 10 different companies all doing their own thing. The sequel mania of the game industry isn't really that great anyway, just how good would the Iliad VI, Revenge of Achilles' Ghost have been? It's long since been time to move on, and really I think most people already have.

And would anyone out there take over Interplay if they gave it to them? It's just a giant money sink at this point. I think in the past few years the whole brainless acquistion mania and the slew of bankruptcies it sowed have worn off. Who knows, though, mabye in 20 years, Infog^h^h^h^h^h Atari will change their name to Interplay to stay all fresh and hip.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
A Worthy Publisher with a Worthy Developer. Silver Style and what's left of Ion Storm don't make for Worthy Developers. Let's hope they don't get it.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Walks with the Snails said:
The sequel mania of the game industry isn't really that great anyway, just how good would the Iliad VI, Revenge of Achilles' Ghost have been?
With good speshul FX and busty babes (and tentacles) it would be just aw4som3!!!

Briosafreak

Augur
First the observation period is until 6 of September. Second Titus did not file for bankrupty, but is instead trying to sell assets to pay debt.
Redressement judiciaire in 90% of the case finishes with the company closing doors, but there are other 10% of success stories, one of those is Mandrake, that succeeded in restructuring and got the end of judicial administration last month.[/quote]

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cmon Herve, keep that dessicated shell of a company chugging until October so I win :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom