Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Someone Is Bored With BioWare

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare

<p><a href="http://pc.gamezone.com/editorials/item/why_im_bored_with_bioware/" target="_blank">No really, it's true.</a></p>
<blockquote>
<p>So, starting with the first point, lack of innovation, I feel that Bioware haven&acute;t really added anything new in the areas that require it most, namely gameplay and characterization. Yes, Mass Effect had an interesting conversation mechanic, and that counts for something, but many Bioware titles have been recycled versions of older titles. Combat is still semi turn-based, your character is still locked into one of a few set roles (usually based around combat, magic, or a mix of the two) and the actual underlying story is the same for every title (under-respected newcomer overcomes insurmountable odds from all sides to save the world/universe from incredible peril). Characters are the same, too; you always have a learned older sidekick (Sagacious Zu,&nbsp; Samara), a snarky young upstart (Alistair, Carth Onasi), a brutal fighter (Grunt, Black Whirlwind, Zalbaar), and a mysterious dark character (Canderous Ordo, Morrigan). The list goes on, and the characters are almost interchangeable from game to game.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Mass Effect 2 - the semi-turnbased game.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98193-why-iam-bored-with-bioware.html">GB</a></p>

LittleJoe

Arbiter
I'm not going to argue over a point of semantics:

Semi-turn based, real time with paused.

Who cares?

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
I agree on parts of this text but still, the author is an idiot.

And that is the shame of Bioware titles; if they could move with the times and add new ideas to the mix, they would once again be top of the table for many gamers

How should they "move with the times and add new ideas to the mix" when nobody else does it.
RPGs everywhere are shit. Repetion of the same old "OH NOZ SAVE TEH WORLD" story in the same old Tolkien fantasy set.
Even the great Mass Effect just shot Tolkien to space.
Asari - Elves
Reaper - Sauron
Geht - Orks
Krogans - Dwarfes
Humans - Humans

You can blame Bioware to not be innovativ. But you can't blame them, to not "move with the times"

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Characters are the same, too; you always have a learned older sidekick (Sagacious Zu, Samara), a snarky young upstart (Alistair, Carth Onasi), a brutal fighter (Grunt, Black Whirlwind, Zalbaar), and a mysterious dark character (Canderous Ordo, Morrigan).

I think some of these are screwed up. Carth fits cleanly into 'learned older side-kick', whiny bitch personality or not. And since when did Zalbaar fit into 'brutal fighter'? Hanharr, yes, but he was Obsidian. Strictly Bioware I'd fit Canderous into 'brutal fighter' and HK-47 into 'mysterious dark character'. Unless you had high skills in certain areas you couldn't even learn half of HK's past.

commie said:
Canderous is not Bioware, neither is HK-47.

127535885836.gif

I'm sorry, what?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
commie said:
I just remembered Canderous was a Mandalorian and got him and that Mandalore fucker mixed up.
which would be correct considering they are the same char.

Ruprekt

Scholar
The KoTR characters and look are Bioware's. In as much as it doesn't look like the prequel movies (which it does) it's their own creation.

The comic books which preceed KoTR in lore are very different to regular star wars; emphasising the fantasy aspect of star wars over the sci fi.

Tycn

Savant
Bioware are in the business of storytelling. They use strong gameplay archetypes and each game tells a story the length of a TV series season - better than 99% of TV series out there, as well.
If you’re playing Bioware games for anything other than a compelling story with great characters and solid - albeit not revolutionary - gameplay (although let’s not forget who did shooter RPG first - thank you, Mass Effect), then you’re playing for the wrong reasons.

Micmu

Magister
Bioware are in business of mass entertainment and their "stories" *are* on the same level as 99% of the pop TV series out there. Nothing really that compelling...
For example DA's story is an atrocious piece of shit on a level of the worst TV series imaginable.

A user named cat

Bioware are in the business of sucking cock and letting their fans eat their buttholes out.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
micmu said:
For example DA's story is an atrocious piece of shit on a level of the worst TV series imaginable.
as much as i hate da, that's not fair. there is much much much much worse shit on tv, and my imagination can top that in terms of shittines easily.

denizsi

Arcane
Ruprekt said:
The KoTR characters and look are Bioware's. In as much as it doesn't look like the prequel movies (which it does) it's their own creation.

The comic books which preceed KoTR in lore are very different to regular star wars; emphasising the fantasy aspect of star wars over the sci fi.

There is a sci-fi aspect to Star Wars?

Tycn said:
Bioware are in the business of storytelling...Bioware ...compelling story

LOL

Micmu

Magister
Azrael the cat said:
SuicideBunny said:
micmu said:
as much as i hate da, that's not fair. there is much much much much worse shit on tv, and my imagination can top that in terms of shittines easily.
This. Sad but true.
Yeah I exaggerated a bit there... :D

hoochimama

Liturgist
your character is still locked into one of a few set roles (usually based around combat, magic, or a mix of the two)

What? Magic isn't a combat "role"?

The differentiation in classes only changes how you go about killing critters, do you go up to a critter and swing something at it or do you throw glowy fairy dust or arrows at it from longer distances. Outside of combat very little changes based on your class aside from a couple of extra crafting options and perhaps a short sidequest or two.

That's one of the largest problems their games have for me, the game experience is most impacted by player choices through dialog, not the character build.

Compare it to say morrowind, where going with a mage, thief or warrior archetypes can lead to a completely different experience as you'll be spending your time in different locations, working with different factions and npcs and playing the game differently (eventual balance problems aside).

The problem might be intrisic to party rpgs, but it would be nice if there was more to picking a class than just what you find most visually pleasant and fun in combat. DA's origins did a bit of it but you were eventually playing the same party class once you got out of ostagar.[/quote]

the actual underlying story is the same for every title (under-respected newcomer overcomes insurmountable odds from all sides to save the world/universe from incredible peril). Characters are the same, too; you always have a learned older sidekick (Sagacious Zu, Samara), a snarky young upstart (Alistair, Carth Onasi), a brutal fighter (Grunt, Black Whirlwind, Zalbaar), and a mysterious dark character (Canderous Ordo, Morrigan). The list goes on, and the characters are almost interchangeable from game to game.

WoW he's crazy.

Stories, the "roles"(or function) of characters in a story haven't changed in the last 20 centuries(Aristotle wrote em down), and he wants "Bioware" to CHANGE something akin to changing planet and dimension?

Not to mention, who cares about the story and the characters, this is a videogame, what's important is how YOU can affect that story.

An RPG would be interesting even if it only ever had Hamlet as story and characters. Whats important is the choices you are given in the meantime.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom