Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview UFO: Extraterrestrials Interview

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: UFO: Extraterrestrials

Strategy Informer has <a href="http://www.strategyinformer.com/interviews/ufoextraterrestrials.shtml">interviewed</a> Michal Dolzal of Czech game developer Chaos Concept, one of the team leaders in charge of the development of the upcoming <b>turn-based</b> tactical/RPG UFO: Extraterrestrials. Included with the interview are several very impressive looking <a href=http://www.strategyinformer.com/screenshots/ufoextraterrestrials.shtml#latest">screenshots</a>. So far, the game looks like it's coming along quite well and promises to be everything UFO: Aftermath wasn't. Here's a snippet:<blockquote>
<br>
<b>SI: Combat will work in turn based mode, what were the reasons to leave out the real time combat mode?</b>
<br>
<br>
<b>Michal Dolezal:</b> In my opinion a turn based mode is a property of top strategy games. I mean those strategy games where the stress is laid on strategic thinking where the player has to consider every single movement because one step ahead can kill him. So as to succeed he has to take advantage of terrain roughness and hide his soldiers behind walls, corners, lamps, cars etc. On top of everything, turn based mode qualities have been prooved by such games as Laser Squad, Battle Isle series or UFO series.
<br>
</blockquote>Music to my ears!
<br>
<blockquote><b>SI: I must say that we, here at StrategyInformer.com, are highly fanatical to UFO series. UFO Aftermath came as a huge dissapointement to us after waiting for such a long time for any UFO game. It just couldn't recreate the atmosphere UFO Defense could. If you played UFO Aftermath, tell us what you think of it? Are you connected in any way with UFO Aftermath's team?</b>
<br>
<br>
<b>Michal Dolezal:</b> I'm afraid that in my situation I'm not the right person to comment on UFO:Aftermath because it would be easy to say : "Hey look, he was biased." So I decided to quote Gamespy's rating: Decent graphics; good character advancement system. Cons:Bad AI and pathfinding; repetitive missions; shallow strategic gameplay; persistent inventory bugs.
<br>
<br>
The only thing that the game UFO: ET shares with UFO Aftermath’s team is the country we come from and that is the Czech Republic.</blockquote>
<br>
ZING!
<br>
<br>
The game is 70% complete, and is due out by the end of 2004.

keeks

Novice
Looks badass! The engine seems teh seks, hopefully the game itself will not disappoint.

Spazmo

Erudite
I rather like Tomy Sorrow (#10 squaddie in DU's screen). That guy just sounds like a total badass.

plin

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Why does everyone post like Pooperscooper and Patrick these days?

because it's trendy to be cunts on the net

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Being an e-asshole has occasional merits, but in order to come off as a really convincing asshole, you have to actually be one in real life.

Being a wimpy 16 year old kid with zits who gets picked on (or ostracized, what have you) in school doesn't make one come off as much of an asshole, and simply makes one look like a jackass craving for attention of the negative variety in a pitiful attempt to make oneself regarded highly in infamy. The end result is, of course, the complete opposite of that. Loathe is usually the offending reaction to such displays of immature behaviour.

May this be a lesson to everyone.

Anonymous

Hey now, bitch, i've been posting fine lately, and i've been trying to make the posts better because all you do is whine about that shit, so fuck you and your Pepsi vest.

Being a wimpy 16 year old kid with zits who gets picked on (or ostracized, what have you) in school doesn't make one come off as much of an asshole, and simply makes one look like a jackass craving for attention of the negative variety in a pitiful attempt to make oneself regarded highly in infamy. The end result is, of course, the complete opposite of that. Loathe is usually the offending reaction to such displays of immature behaviour.

Because being a wimpy 19 year old who everyone in HOTEL COLLEGE hated and lives at home, mooching off daddy and sitting on mIRC all day WHILE thinking you're King of the Internet and the best person ever is better, eh? Go fuck yourself, you egotistical retard.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
*Starts chanting*
Go LlamaGod, Go LlamaGod, Go LlamaGod.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Wow. Who ever said anything about you, Patrick?

A little insecure there, aren't you? I wasn't even talking about you. I was using a stereotype.

Idiot. :roll:

p.s. everyone lives at home.

p.p.s. you mooch off your parents, too. Don't be a hypocrite.

p.p.p.s. it's economical. I'd be stupid to let something like 'omg what will my friends say?!' get in the way of simple economics. I have my own place, but I don't want to have to pay two sets of bills at once.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Hobos live in box homes, though. I think that counts, somewhat. Homes don't necessarily have to be houses or apartments. ;) (Just kidding)

Patrick, are you a hobo?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Clarification: I was talking about people like bladen. An archetype of stupidity. Your message style (and Pooper's, along with DU's and occasionally some of the others) was emulating his style a little too well. It was disconcerting.

Don't be so insecure. When people say bad things about other people, try not to assume that it's you they're talking about, or it will be - because you make it so. Rise above it.

bobbob

Novice
This seems really cool, but it would be even better if they had Fox's Alien franchise license tho.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Exitium said:
Your message style (and Pooper's, along with DU's and occasionally some of the others) was emulating his style a little too well. It was disconcerting.
You mean the message style used to patronise those who make either obvious statements or blatantly retarded errors?

Exitium said:
Wow. Who ever said anything about you, Patrick?
Wow Rex. You're even more retarded than I thought.

Exitium said:
Why does everyone post like Pooperscooper and Patrick these days?
I highlighted the important bit so you wouldn't miss it.

... or were you off in your own little world again?

Ausir

Arcane
In our info page it says that the game is based on the X-Com franchise. Is it actually so, or is it just inspired by it like Aftermath?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Ausir: It's just inspired by the first X-Com.

DarkUnderlord: Stop trolling, it doesn't suit you. Anyway, if it wasn't already abundantly clear, I was making a point to Patrick and Pooperscooper not to post in that fashion, because, as I said, it made them look like people like Bladen. If you're too stupid (and apparently you are) to grasp such a simple notion, then there's nothing I can do to help you.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Country_Gravy said:
Hey! I'm Patrick. Who are you talking to? Why is everyone named Patrick?

What the hell is going on here?
OMG! It's that identity theft thingy that everyone's talking about!

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Welcome back to this week's episode of Rex Verbatim. In this episode, Rex gets lost following the plot and performs a remarkable backwards, triple sommersault in a desperate attempt to stay on track. Unfortunately for him, he fails and hits the deck with a resounding thud. We'll go to a commercial break now but don't go away! When we come back, Rex will pull out his dictionary and say something in Latin!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom