Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dungeon Siege 3 Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Eurogamer put up a <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dungeon-siege-iii-preview" target="_blank">fairly positive preview</a> of Obsidian Entertainments upcoming hack&amp;slasher.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Instead of simply plugging new content into an existing framework, Dungeon Siege III is being built from the groud up in Obsidian's own engine, brought to consoles for the first time, and gently remodelled as a pretty, punchy and immediate co-operative action-RPG in the classical style.</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>"We want the game to be about multiplayer, and we want it to be as easy as possible," says lead designer Nathaniel Chapman, noting that his girlfriend would watch him play Mass Effect 2 to follow the story, and wanted to be able to jump in and take control of Tali. Intriguingly, Obsidian is working on multiplayer aspects to the conversation system, too. "Multiplayer and single-player are not two separate games. They're totally integrated. That was a very important point for us," he says.</p>
<p>All the game's enemies and spells or abilities have been designed with the tactical interdependence of the classes in mind, and there are even explicit combos that can be executed by two classes in tandem, using each other's strengths to expose enemy weaknesses by forcing them into certain states. The classes, we're told, are designed for uniqueness over flexibility and will be pretty carefully defined, although you'll naturally still have some choice over skills as you level up.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>I guess it's cool that you're still going to have some choice while leveling up.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>There's a middle-ground to be found here: we ask if the game will go to the same extreme lengths as Alpha Protocol in the pursuit of Obsidian's mantra of "choice and consequence". "No, not at all," says Urquhart. "The idea is to have some very specific points in the story where you make these decisions, so you feel like it's your story and not just the story we're forcing down your throat. But we're still doing that," he jokes.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Funny.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>potato at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15184">RPGWatch</a></p>

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
"We want the game to be about multiplayer, and we want it to be as easy as possible,"

FFS!

Visbhume

Prophet
A conversation system with multiplayer aspects sounds intriguing, let's see how they tackle it.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Keep in mind that the only multiplayer mode so far is taking over a party member with a second gamepad.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Visbhume said:
A conversation system with multiplayer aspects sounds intriguing, let's see how they tackle it.
Actually it sounds like there won't be any meaningful C&C.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Dicksmoker said:
Visbhume said:
Sounds like what they did for SoZ, more or less.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Dicksmoker said:
Visbhume said:
Great, that means more resources can be dedicated to the RPG stuff. :incline:

ricolikesrice

Arcane
and we want it to be as easy as possible

its not like Obsidian could design an even mildly challenging game even if their life depended on it , so i m not sure what i was excpecting anyhow but this quote just killed the last tiny bit of interest i might have had in Dungeon Siege 3.

what the fuck is wrong with this industry ? Demon Souls just proved that there IS a market for games that dont thread the player like braindead morons (mind you its difficulty is overrated, its not even THAT hard... ) yet games get easier and easier to the point where things that d have been called cheats 10 years ago are gameplay features (VATS etc.) now.

Visbhume

Prophet
It would be nice to have the ability of making promises to other players which would be enforceable within the game. Something like "If you lend me now your sword of whatever, I renounce my share in the next loot". Would make more sense in Internet multiplayer though.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm not 100% sure but I think they meant that they want the multiplayer aspects to be as easy (accessible) as possible, not the game itself

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, the first two games played themselves, so it looks like they try to stay true to the originals.

Visbhume

Prophet
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I'm not 100% sure but I think they meant that they want the multiplayer aspects to be as easy (accessible) as possible, not the game itself

Don't interrupt the flow of hate.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
KalosKagathos said:
Dicksmoker said:
Visbhume said:

True. I don't want any forced C&C to ruin my H&S experience. It really, really doesn't fit there.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Visbhume said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

Don't interrupt the flow of hate.

:D

I got the same vibe as VoD, that it will allow the second-player to immediately jump in, in the middle of stuff.

Shannow

Waster of Time
The Archon acts as a capable AI companion at first, but then a second player presses start and immediately jumps in to control her in co-op, the camera snapping up to a loftier, more isometric-style view to give them both room. Co-op is central to Dungeon Siege III and Obsidian tells us that the game is entirely designed around it - although online multiplayer isn't confirmed yet, and locally it's only possible to control a companion character rather than bring a character of your own into someone else's game.

"We want the game to be about multiplayer, and we want it to be as easy as possible," says lead designer Nathaniel Chapman, noting that his girlfriend would watch him play Mass Effect 2 to follow the story, and wanted to be able to jump in and take control of Tali. Intriguingly, Obsidian is working on multiplayer aspects to the conversation system, too. "Multiplayer and single-player are not two separate games. They're totally integrated. That was a very important point for us," he says.
How in fucking baby Jesus' name do you guys read that Obsidian want the game to be as easy as possible from that context?
If you want to bitch, bitch about Obsidian, the saviors of RPGs, successor to Troika, making a fucking h&s Diablo clone; bitch about there being no confirmed online co-op while the hype claims multiplayer to be a priority; bitch about Obsidian making console crap for console tards; bitch about oh so innovative classes sounding exactly like the usual suspects; bitch about MEh being name-dropped as if it were worth copying; bitch about ObsidianMCA having another game in line with 60.000 lines of dialogue; bitch about the game not even having Alpaturd's amount of c&c; bitch about them wanting to emulate FO3 and MEh because were such successful action-RPG-hybrids; bitch about companions mysteriously reviving simply by your stepping next to to them; bitch about anything. There is so much one can reasonably and unreasonably bitch about here and you chose an out of context quote... FFS

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They're going to have to work hard to sell me on DS3 since I played the original and it was awful.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
"We want the game to be about multiplayer, and we want it to be as easy as possible," says lead designer Nathaniel Chapman, noting that he would pretend the poster of Miss October on his wall would watch him play Mass Effect 2 to follow the story, and wanted to be able to jump in and take control of Tali.

Fixed.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Fat Dragon said:
Meh, I just can't get any interest in this game. I'll wait for Diablo 3.
Yeah, I was just wondering how much this will compete with D3. I'd dismissed the thought since D3 seemed so far off, but it seems it could be an issue anyway.
What's the ETA for D3?

Personally I haven't liked anything I've seen and heard about D3, but I wouldn't mind playing something mindless along h&s lines. So the development of DS3 might be worth following...

Joe Krow

Erudite
KalosKagathos said:
Dicksmoker said:
Visbhume said:

Good point.

Having multiplayer on the same screen is usually a problem though. "Press square to attack" with resulting arrow, sword swing, or spell bolt (and each having a similar effect based on level). All eye-candy with no substance. If they can dodge that pothole I have hope for the game.

Destroid

Arcane
Playing videogames with your girlfriend is overrated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom