Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout Online will be restricted to a certain age.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Interplay; Project V13

<p>Over <a href="http://interplay.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5321">yonder on the Official Interplay Forums</a> there exists an FAQ. It's a thorough and in-depth FAQ that's regularly updated. It holds such enticing answers as:</p>
<p> </p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>What will Fallout Online be rated?</strong> It will be restricted to a certain age.</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"> </p>
<p>... and:</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>Will there be vehicles?</strong> A decision regarding vehicles has been made.</p>
<p>Be sure to read their answer to "is it just a WoW clone?" and be confused. Amongst all the chaff though, there are some interesting tidbits:</p>
<p> </p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">One of the themes we will be dealing with is regrowth and rebuilding.</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">[...]</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>How will player death, respawning, etc, be dealt with?</strong> Death is death in the Fallout world and there are no Resurrection spells or magic wands that bring people back to life. The Master in FO1 was on one path to immortality, but even he wasn't immune to 9mm (or plasma rifles, whatever your weapon of choice was.)<br/><br/>We have a pretty good handle on how we handle player character defeat in PV13.<br/><br/>[Notice the use of the word defeat in the last sentence.]</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Yes, notice the use of the word defeat in the last sentence.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><em>Residents can blame this news item on Dr.Doom.</em></p>

8qxew.jpg

denizsi

Arcane
He has infiltrated Haven & Hearth and stealing ideas from there.

Are you still playing that, by the way? The reason for kicking me out was real paranoid and low, so I wonder just how much more insane you must have become in the game.

mondblut

Arcane
Talking about PVP

* There will be restrictions. Our vision of PvP requires player consent.

Awww. So no "Glittering gems of hatred" hideously ruining the gaming experience of consoletards en masse then? Count me out.

ElectricOtter

By god, I hope it's permadeath

also, :love: to DU for massively improving the smiley selection

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I could really get behind an MMO with permadeath. Actually make reaching higher levels a real effort and forcing much more strategic gameplay. I would subscribe to it and play it for the whole two months it would take for it to get canceled.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
No, permadeath would be retarded if you considered what the MMORPG community is like. There will be a pack of retards that roll 1 characters that zerg at you and kill you just for the hell of it. Once they die they will reroll and continue and continue and continue.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It only shows that MMORPGs aren't sensible worlds. Personally, I think that a model with perma-death where players can buy certain starting power (including equipment, contacts and skills) for real money could be interesting.

Talking about PVP

* There will be restrictions. Our vision of PvP requires player consent.
Ok. I'm not interested any more.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
It only shows that MMORPGs aren't sensible worlds. Personally, I think that a model with perma-death where players can buy certain starting power (including equipment, contacts and skills) for real money could be interesting.

I think a Fallout-like combat system would translate well to MMO, if the new characters retained vital equipment but character death was still permanent. Some kind of inheritance system or something.

Mortmal

Arcane
With that interview and my crystal ball i can already foresee what that game will be like...

You will select your characters amongst various archetypes, warrior, cleric, mage, warlock... err no wrong clone it will be melee type character , maybe savage tribe type, then instead of a mage youll get a gun centric character, no cleric off course but a doc, also no warlock but a tech class with droid pets(mr handy ?). The interface will be very similar to wow and you will use hotbars with abilities like power slam for melee, headshot for gunner etc...

You will gain level after level, lets say 50 levels by accepting random quests from npc with big question marks over their heads in successive quest hubs.
Kill 20rats type quests for early levels , kill 20 rad scorpions type quest for mid levels+ instances(raider camp,vault etc) and for high levels kill 20 supermutants.
They also plan an amazing quest to get your mount in this case : a cadillac.

No death at all, period! cause nowadays death is uncool , if the average joe dont feel he has accomplished something after his game session its a bad game, so instead we will have player defeat, wich means you will get up after 10 sec and get a whopping temporary 10% malus on your stats

Most of the content is soloable off course cause anything promoting player interactivity is bannable , except the mandatory end game raids, this time you will raid enclave guys or some master clone type with 15 other guys (cause more than 15 is not manageable for todays players)

Childrens beware!!! this game is rated mature 18+.. by USA standard, wich means theres maybe the hint oft he shadow of some pixelated tits!!!and lot of gratuitous gore.
It will be released full of the bugs, rushed unoptimized , sell around 500k units and the endgame content will be missing, but some will love it for what it is, alas it will only last a few months and be put on life support aka warhammer online.

Quote me in a year or two it will be exactly like this. Come on, they are not making an eve online in the wastelands, with deep and complex player interaction, they would already tell it.
Ill put my hand in the fire and back it up with photos on the codex if it turns out different.

Nex

Cipher
Gone are the days of old UO sadly. This new shit is just so bad I cannot understand why it is so popular.

I want my FFA, skill based, low/non grind, non item-based mmorpg. Player of this new crap should wear nappies and crash helmets. Great risk makes the game so much better, the adrenaline rush, the fear.

bhlaab

Erudite
Every time you "die" you will wake up in some nearby settlement healed by the local doctor. That is what it will be.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Nex said:
Gone are the days of old UO sadly. This new shit is just so bad I cannot understand why it is so popular.

I want my FFA, skill based, low/non grind, non item-based mmorpg. Player of this new crap should wear nappies and crash helmets. Great risk makes the game so much better, the adrenaline rush, the fear.
Hey, genuine question here. How was UO skill based without grind? I ask because the only real skill based MMO I've played was Darkfall and that was just terrible, terrible grind.

Nex

Cipher
Mangoose said:
Nex said:

Hey, genuine question here. How was UO skill based without grind? I ask because the only real skill based MMO I've played was Darkfall and that was just terrible, terrible grind.

I'm not saying there was no grind, but it was low grind. It didn't take you ages to max out the skills you wanted. Basically you spend most of your time doing fun stuff rather than grinding your skills.

madbringer

Arcane
No way in hell will it have permadeath. Maybe upon being "defeated" you will lose some exp and drop gold, i mean, caps :roll: but come on. What kind of an MMO addict would play a game where his carefully grinded out toon could die forever? It's just not how MMO's work, or modern games, for that matter.

Mutual consent, rofl. They should play Tibia. Now that was an experience i'd pay money to forget. :?

Nex

Cipher
madbringer said:
No way in hell will it have permadeath. Maybe upon being "defeated" you will lose some exp and drop gold, i mean, caps :roll: but come on. What kind of an MMO addict would play a game where his carefully grinded out toon could die forever? It's just not how MMO's work, or modern games, for that matter.

Mutual consent, rofl. They should play Tibia. Now that was an experience i'd pay money to forget. :?

We can't have players having their feelings hurt can we. They should only take risks when they want to.

Secretninja

Cipher
denizsi said:
He has infiltrated Haven & Hearth and stealing ideas from there.

Are you still playing that, by the way? The reason for kicking me out was real paranoid and low, so I wonder just how much more insane you must have become in the game.

Pretty sure it was less about being paranoid and more about being sick of your tiresome trolling.

Fucking Quality Poster

DarkUnderlord said:
Yes, notice the use of the word defeat in the last sentence.

This pretty much means that you don't die, to those of you misinterpreting it as perma-death.

Nex

Cipher
Lebanese Warrior said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Yes, notice the use of the word defeat in the last sentence.

This pretty much means that you don't die, to those of you misinterpreting it as perma-death.

Yep, you will be knocked unconscious or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom