Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New game: Minions of Mirth

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Minions of Mirth; Prairie Games

There's a rather ambitious independent CRPG in the words from <A href="http://www.prairiegames.com/">Prairie Games</a>, showing a few screenshots of <A href="http://www.prairiegames.com/momtemp/">Minions of Mirth</a>, a <b>massively <i>single</i> player CRPG</b>. Here's the list of features ripped from there:
<br>
<br>
<ul><li>Massively Single Player gameplay!!!</li><li>15 character careers from 3 character archetypes. Multiclass characters with primary, secondary, and tertiary class</li><li>8 playable character races</li><li>16 incredible zones to explore</li><li>A persistent world where your actions have lasting effects</li><li>Over 10,000 frames of rendered game graphics!!!</li><li>Alignment system for playing either a good or evil character ...</li><li>Epic battles rage across the land... you can fight for either side and the outcome of the battle can affect quests, etc</li><li>Immersive first person gameplay!</li><li>Slick game GUI that never gets in your way</li><li>Quest system supporting multiple quest and reward items as well as triggered events</li><li>Bounty system dynamically generates bounties for you to hunt ... bounty rewards can be money and items!</li><li>Vendors across the land selling many assorted goodies</li><li>Track monsters from great distances</li><li>Melee and ranged combat</li><li>Vast outdoors (oceans, mountains, jungle, forests), sprawling dungeons, and zones that mix the two!</li><li>Various modes of transport including boats and airships.</li><li>Full blown weather system with climates, seasons, cloud cover and varying precipitation!</li><li>Day and night cycles, with monster spawns and world events tied to time of day. Beautiful star gazing at night!</li><li>Many types of flora and fauna</li><li>Players have many wearable inventory slots, quick slots, carry slots, and a vault to store game items</li><li>Phat Lewt! Robust game items with stats, spell effects, procs, special flags like artifact/indestructible,
<br>
usage requirements/recommendations, and a nifty bonus/penalty system...</li><li>Game items may also have quality associated with them from Crappy, Shoddy, Normal, Superior, Exceptional.</li><li>Hundreds of spells... including combat, pet/monster/item summoning, etc .. spell effects include levitation, blindness, paralysis, charming, etc</li><li>Level cap of 100 with over 80 character skills!</li><li>Full engine + game source code available for modding</li><li>Compatible with Windows + MacOSX</li><li>Cooperative (and PVP) multiplayer coming in 2005</li></ul>
<br>
<br>
There's also an <A href="http://www.prairiegames.com/mom_preview1.mov">8 minute video</a> in Quicktime format that's <b>60MB</b>. Of course, they offer a <A href="http://www.prairiegames.com/mom_preview1_lowres.mov">smaller version of the same video</a> for the bandwidth challenged.
<br>
<br>
Sounds like a lot of work, doesn't it?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.diygames.com/">DIY Games</A>

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I like that item quality can be "Crappy."

Nice touch.

My bet is that it doesn't pan out. Seems pretty ambitious for an indie developer, but more power to them. I hope they pull through with something different from a lot of the other crap that is out there.

EEVIAC

Erudite
  • Level cap of 100
  • Phat Lewt!
  • Various modes of transport including boats and airships.

Is it set in Eberron by any chance?

The world needs a epic CRPG allows you to summon Shroomish pets with an Eternal Sword Of Doom.

Voss

Erudite
Which is an odd thing to say, since Eberron is very much low level oriented. No epic NPCs wandering around blowing shit up, no gods walking the earth. And less phat loot than any D&D campaign setting I've ever seen.

The reviewer doesn't understand the difference between practical magic and high magic.

Ultron

Liturgist
I like the little mushroom guy he summoned to fight the guard. It looks like he pisses his pants at 1:43 in the video. :hahano:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If they can deliver on most of those, it could be a good game. I say most 'cause soemthing is gonna have to be scrapped. way too ambitious.

JRitter

Novice
Hey!

This does look pretty cool! Though, I may be a bit biased... I am one of the game's 2 developers :)

I am really glad that people like the video... We are working hard at getting a development snapshot out for people to hammer on... this will be a prealpha, but unlike AAA studios, we actually want feedback from players over the ENTIRE development...

I have shipped some 11 odd retail games... these were all 4-6 month development cycles and I was never happy with the end result. So, a couple years ago I decided to "go indie" and haven't looked back... Minions of Mirth is a very ambitious game... most of the list above is already implemented... something may have to give, but will see the light of day in an expansion pack. MoM isn't one title, it's a series. I prototyped for 2.5 years before starting MoM... the game is only 6 months old!

As a technical note, the game and tools are 100% Open Source... for the truly curious, the game is powered by an EXTREMELY modified QuakeII engine. That's right folks... QuakeII ;)

Keep the comments coming!

-Josh Ritter
http://www.prairiegames.com

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Hey. Welcome to the Codex.

I like the modelling work on the game, some of which look pretty good especially this early in development.

I notice that horses are in, too.

taks

Liturgist
wow... from ND. i didn't think people actually lived there :shock:

i agree, the modelling looks good, particularly for an indie developer. i must admit, i've always liked the look of the quake][ engine...

taks

EEVIAC

Erudite
Voss said:
Which is an odd thing to say, since Eberron is very much low level oriented. No epic NPCs wandering around blowing shit up, no gods walking the earth. And less phat loot than any D&D campaign setting I've ever seen.

Well, that's what I get for reading one review and doing little other research. Thanks for the correction.

Stark

Liturgist
most of the list above is already implemented...

which are not? the list of features do look ambitious.

does the engine support massive amount of NPCs battling away? One of the feature did mention "Epic battles". if the game delivers just on that alone I'm a buyer.

Stark

Liturgist
oops, just saw the clip. epic battle seem to be supported.

JRitter

Novice
To clarify...

The epic battles are absolutely part of gameplay... there is a part of the video where I am in the character view (the hud is up)... The character is an orc and I am charging with my horde to destory some pesky dwarven axemen! The battles can be tied to quests, etc... so if the battle goes poorly, no quest item for you! Fight well brave orc warrior!

As a quick note, the flaming arrows you see can actually hit their mark... and when they do there is blood that gets sprayed onto the ground :)

We are trying to make a fun game... we'll see what happens...

-Josh Ritter

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
Epic battles rage across the land... you can fight for either side and the outcome of the battle can affect quests, etc

Now who knows how this will actually turn out, but since it's clearly a listed feature, and it's clearly possible in the engine, why would we consider it likely that it's from a cutscene?

EDIT: Posted after the developer commented.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Well, hey, guess I'm wrong.

By the way, there's going to be hotkeys for spells, right?

That trailer looked awkward with casting.

JRitter

Novice
Hotkeys? For spells? Huh? I have never heard of such nonsense!!!! That would TOTALLY, and I mean TOTALLY, break the "immersion factor"!!!! Not to mention be completely unrealistic...

Yes, I'm kidding... there will be hotkeys, I am going to implement them once I get to the macro GUI...

This is an independently developed game. There are 2 people making it and we have every penny, including credit into it. If it sucks TOO bad, then we are screwed. So, I guess, it can't totally suck.

-Josh Ritter

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom