Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fable 3 Has Dialogue

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fable 2; Lionhead Studios

<p>Not only will Fable 3 allow you to fart on people's heads or to *touch* people, no: it also sports over <a href="http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/news/3692/fable-3-to-include-47-hours-of-dialogue" target="_blank">47 hours of voiced dialogue</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The final game will include over 47 hours of voiced dialogue, which, according to Backer amounts to 460,000 words. Background characters won't repeat themselves either, with each of the 32 different types of AI able to spout around 2,000 different lines.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98750-fable-iii-sports-47-hours-worth-of-dialogue.html">GB</a></p>

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wish devs would stop talking about the word count or how much dialog the game features as if it was some sort of guarantee for a good RPG experience.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Talk about it. 460,000 words? So what? I can't speak for the quality of writing in the Fable games because I've never played one, but I do know that absolutely nobody outside of the writing team, the people implementing the sound, and the voice actors needs to know how many damn words there are. Dialogue isn't a revolutionary feature, it's a goddamn staple. Stop treating it like it's something special! Telling me that a corn farmer harvested X-number ears of corn isn't going to impress me, because he's a fucking corn farmer. Motherfucker is gonna have a lot of corn laying around. It's just a given.

Jim Profit

Educated
"Dialogue" in Fable=A varaity of ways to hear townspeople say "hurpdurp" and "you're under arrest for being ugly!" (For those who didn't play Fable 2, I'm serious. This is the entire game...)

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=2109
I don't know if this was supposed to be the creator's mary sue as the blog suggests. Reaver isn't quite bald and aids ridden enough, and lacks his british "how do I shot web?" vibe...

Albeit both are disgustingly homo when the creator said he'd marry that interveiwer's fable character.

I do like playing rpgs because it helps illustrate my own moral code. By the Fable standards, (IE: British moralfags) I'm chaotic evil. There's just no question. I lie, I cheat, I steal, I murder, (especially hookers and faggots. I try to limit it to that though but sometimes PEOPLE GET IN MY FUCKING WAY AND DON'T MOVE) but I have this personal code.

You can't just call someone a crazed murderer if he's out on a mission to kill specific people.

Also I'm a damn good husband. Making sure everyone else lives in poverty so they can't go out and be gay or hookers, whilest insuring my wife and kids have the biggest fucking mansion avaliable, jewelery and fine cuisine, and I fuck my wife every single day. Because when I'm not being a serial killer, or a burglar, I like being a good husband.

It's not a fairy tale hero. But I'm sure every woman at the rpgcodex wishes they could have that.

Like most rpgs, you're not evil if the people you kill are also evil. It's kind of funny to walk around with a halo and butterflies around you while sporting a killcount 3x bigger than the horned guy who everyone is scared of because he steals clothes from every house he finds.

Jim Profit

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
Like most rpgs, you're not evil if the people you kill are also evil. It's kind of funny to walk around with a halo and butterflies around you while sporting a killcount 3x bigger than the horned guy who everyone is scared of because he steals clothes from every house he finds.
Unfourtanately that's closer to real life then any videogame could ever hope to try and emulate... lol!

ironyuri

I didn't know there were 460,000 words you could use to say "Please stop farting on my head, I find it offensive!"

:M

Secretninja

Cipher
I dunno guys, the first fable was only barely beaten out by spore on a resident codexers top 5 rpgs of all time. I see this as good news.

StrangeCase

Educated
I can't speak for the quality of writing in the Fable games because I've never played one

It's witless, sub-moronic garbage, as is everything about the Fable games. At best, it's unmemorable, at worst, it's Bethesda-level. I sometimes wonder why the Fable games don't attract more hate around here. The best I can came up with is that Fable has always been marketed to morons and has never really tried to hide that, whereas Bio and Beth actively make mockeries of the genre.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You're wrong StrangerCase. Fable is not Oblivion-level. It's much lower. yes, it's possible, who played it should know it. Who did not play it... well, better if you don't. Oblivion is witty and deep in comparison to this.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And Codex does not bitch about fable probably because no one played it or if he did he did not complete it. Oblivion is good enough to be played at least, Fable is simply unplayable.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Konjad said:
And Codex does not bitch about fable probably because no one played it or if he did he did not complete it. Oblivion is good enough to be played at least, Fable is simply unplayable.

I figured it was because Fable is an RPG in about the same way that God of War is except it's less subtle, witty and has worse dialogue and art.

Angthoron

Arcane
I played the "original" Fable. It wasn't as bad as Oblivion, no. It was a candy-topped theme park with drunken clowns and every design decision made by a bunch of 8-year-olds, but at least there was crap to do, some of which was pretty amusing. And it had NO OBLIVION GATES. And the game world at least pretended to recognize you and what you've been doing.

StrangeCase

Educated
You're wrong StrangerCase. Fable is not Oblivion-level. It's much lower. yes, it's possible, who played it should know it. Who did not play it... well, better if you don't. Oblivion is witty and deep in comparison to this.

So I read this, and basically didn't believe you. I'd played about 45 minutes of the first game on a friend's X-Box back when it came out, and while it was retarded and ugly, I didn't think it was Bethesda bad.

I don't have access to either console or game in the series, so I settled for youtube footage instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCMIU2Gn ... re=related

I'm horrified and ashamed. I don't know why it didn't make a more vivid impression on me the first time. Maybe my mind was trying to shield me from the trauma. Maybe I hadn't grown out of console-tardedness as much as I thought. Maybe all the forums I trolled sex I had at the time gave me a more positive outlook on life.

Whatever. It's fucking awful.

Angthoron

Arcane
Oh come on, that's not Oblivion combat-level of bad. The video shows a pretty high-level character, too.

That's not to say that it isn't a bad game - it is. It's there in the "Uninstall during intro" category of bad games for me - thing is, so is Oblivion, and the intro of that is like four times shorter.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nothing is bad as Oblivion. First Fable was a bad game but It had fun moments, which is more then I can say for that POS Oblivion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom