Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Freedom Force sequel dev diary at PC.IGN

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Freedom Force versus the Third Reich; Irrational Games

There's a <A href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/528/528533p1.html">development diary</a> over at <A href="http://pc.ign.com/">PC.IGN</a> talking about <A href="http://www.myfreedomforce.com">Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich</a>. It's all about playtesting and how much fun it is for designers. Here's a part about balancing:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Each character, whether hero or villain, will be examined several times, both individually and in expected match-ups. Does this character have a power level appropriate to the stage of the game they'll appear in? Does it interact well with the characters it will be near? Does it have a unique feel to it, or is it too similar to pre-existing characters? And, as always, the hard-to-quantify but vital quality: is it fun? </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
That's probably the biggest part of the problem with a superhero CRPG. Sometimes, you're just going to have to accept that Superman has better powers than Aquaman.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.homelanfed.com">HomeLAN Fed</A>

Jed

Cipher
Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Saint_Proverbius said:
That's probably the biggest part of the problem with a superhero CRPG. Sometimes, you're just going to have to accept that Superman has better powers than Aquaman.

In multiplayer, yeah, I can see this. Look at the homogenization-fest that is CoH.

But in a singleplayer game I think the answer is in level/area design. Force the player to experiece the Aquaman equivalent character by catering the level to his powers.

Going forward with your Aquaman/Superman comparison, I'd have an underwater mission where Superman's superspeed/strength was noticeably diluted while he was underwater (presumably wearing scuba gear). Aquaman, OTOH, doesn't rely on strenghth and speed underwater and so he wouldn't see the degradation of his powers allowing for him to better handle the baddies they come across.

Same with an icelevel catered to your Ice-based super hero, a sheer-cliff level for wallcrawlers, etc, etc.

If all you give people are straight ahead missions with nothing but cosmetic differences in level design, then you are going to end up seeing players use the same characters over and over again and the other characters won't see much usage at all. I'm looking at you, El Diablo.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I had El Diablo along for comic relief. He was a weak character, but he had so much more flare and personality than any of the others.

Crichton

Prophet
I had a lot of fun w/ El Diablo just watching the explosions, though it's true, when he caught himself in the blast radius, it was somewhat less fun. (still served the silly bastard right for not learning how to aim properly.)

Reklar

Liturgist
I found El Diablo to be a good scout and "get on the scene quickly" character for about half to two-thirds of the game (before I recruited Bullet or didn't need speed). He was better suited for ranged combat, especially during the Nuclear Winter missions, but he wasn't a useless character in melee at least. I found Minuteman, of course, and Man'O'War to be two of my best melee fighters with Man-bot as the best tank (obviously). I also discovered how powerful Alche-Miss was by the end of the game with her powers Repulsion and Aloft, and Microwave with his Genetic Damage power. It's just too bad the enemies in the final levels weren't considered dead if you knocked them over the side (that caused a lot of reloads). Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming sequel, especially since I won't be a year and a half behind in playing it.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

By the later mechanical levels I had a ridiculously over-powered purple hulk thing that exploded everything he punched, was pretty much invulnerable and regenerated. It brought a tear to my eye.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
fnordcircle said:
Going forward with your Aquaman/Superman comparison, I'd have an underwater mission where Superman's superspeed/strength was noticeably diluted while he was underwater (presumably wearing scuba gear). Aquaman, OTOH, doesn't rely on strenghth and speed underwater and so he wouldn't see the degradation of his powers allowing for him to better handle the baddies they come across.

No, Aquaman would call fish to help him, because he's a pussy. Superman's still faster and stronger than him underwater.

Same with an icelevel catered to your Ice-based super hero,

Remind me again where the Fortress of Solitude is located? :D

a sheer-cliff level for wallcrawlers, etc, etc.

Superman has that whole gravity defiance thing. He doesn't need walls to climb on.

Next! ;)

mr. lamat

Liturgist
superman is dead. professor x could kick his ass, and i do mean kick.

aquaman is still really, really wank.

now cable, that's a superhero.

Human Shield

Augur
I think it would be about scaling missions. It isn't balanced but Superman would be busy fighting cosmic enemies and Batman would be taking apart a crime family. Heroes do have territory for the most part and they divide up mission objectives when they work together.

Freedom Force did a good job of being able to make underpowered and overpowered heroes but just setting different fame levels. It works in single player games (especially if fighting isn't the only solution).

Freedom Force is a squad combat game thou, I just have to keep waiting for an Astro City RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom