Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines Q&A about Fallout 3 on GameSpy

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<b>Pete Hines</b> of <a href="http://www.bethsoft.com">Bethesda</a> took the time to <A href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/fallout-3/529744p2.html">talk about</a> their recent scooping up of <b>Fallout 3</b>. Here's a bit:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>GameSpy: Finally, will Fallout 3 be from a first- or third-person perspective like the Morrowind series, or isometric, like its predecessors?</b>
<br>

<br>
Pete Hines: Too early to say, but I imagine it'll probably lean towards using technology that we're developing.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
How can it be too early to say on something this fundamental?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.homelanfed.com">HomeLAN Fed</A>

Spazmo

Erudite
All other things aside, I do NOT like that they plan to put it on various consoles. That can't help anything.

triCritical

Erudite
Product A will use format X
Format X will be developed with solution R

Product A will probably be developed with Solution R.

However Mr. Hines we asked about format X. You wouldn't by chance be a politician would you?

Spazmo

Erudite
It's generally kinda silly to go around interviewing them now. They haven't even got anything at all on the game. Let's wait for them to say something conclusive and pick at that.

triCritical

Erudite
Spazmo said:
All other things aside, I do NOT like that they plan to put it on various consoles. That can't help anything.

Nor should you since every single Console-hybrid sequal has been worse then their non-console hybrid predecessor. That is a definite bad. M$ not only has made a really crappy console, but they also ruined PC gaming, IMO!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
OMG! So useful of an interview. "Too early to tell' was the phrase du jour in that interview. Geez.. Even BIO had more useful info when they first announced Dragon Age. LMAO

Nightjed

Liturgist
oh ... my ... god ... the horror .... hoooorrrroooorrr....

maybe they rushed to get the license and didnt plan what to do with it ? -_-

edit: btw, does "a deal that awards Bethesda unrestricted worldwide rights to the Fallout franchise on the PC, home consoles, handhelds, and other media, with the option to develop and publish additional sequels" mean that they now OWN the fallout license ? or that they just borrowed it ?

manco

Novice
Son of a fucking bitch. I'm so expecting them to tweek the Morrowind engine to support firearms, and voila, F3. Man oh man, had Bethesda EVER done a 3rd person game? If the only time I see my wastewalker in full gear is on the paper doll view, you can count me fucking out. God, now that they have the licence, look for them to make it a MMORPG for xbox live, or worse...
I like having a little bit of hope, I mean, I would LOVE a strong sequal to Fallout, I just don't see Bethesda making a big shift from the way they have made games the past several years. Big, giant, generic first person worlds, where there are 6 million residents to talk to, but they only have about 50 things to say.
=(
manc

plin

Liturgist
Morrowind was made for multiple consoles, and I may be wrong, but only the controls and interface was changed. So why should it matter?

If they didn't change morrowind other than changing the controls to adapt to the x-box, I don't see why they'd butcher FO3 just because of more platforms (which would probably just be x-box again). And wasn't morrowind developed for the pc then PORTED to the console?

Looking at gamespot, they released the PC version a little more than a month before the X-box version. Unlike something like KOTOR where they released the x-box version first, then many months later(7, I think) released a PC port with shitty controls/interface.

And I dunno if it was said here, but I laughed when someone said that because they are using the in-house TES IV technology, that it would be a first person, real time game for sure. They are using the SAME GRAPHICS ENGINE.That doesn't mean it will automatically be first/third person or real-time. It means they will make the game in whatever view, or whatever combat and gameplay they want.

Voss

Erudite
Officially the most useless interview ever.

GameSpy: So are you working with the previous Interplay "Van Buren" assets and developers, or are you starting from scratch with a new engine and assets?
Pete Hines: Too early to talk about that kind of thing.
GameSpy: Will Fallout 3 follow in the footsteps of its predecessor in style of game play?
Pete Hines: Again, too specific

But these quotes scare me.

(though if they are probably leaning toward their own tech, they probably aren't using the Van Buren engine.)

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
Morrowind was intial in development for the pc for over a year before they decided to also release it on the (then) newly announced xbox. So it started life as a pc game and a year in when xbox also.

It was not as badly butchered, technicaly speaking, as say deus ex 2 but they were some compromise's, anyone who has played it will notice how bad and frequent the loading zones are... which if you compare to say gothic 2 (pc only) it has zero loading zones except between the old/new world which are *infinetly* bigger than the loading zones in MW.

So no, it wasnt butchered as bad as something like Deus Ex 2, but their were compromise's made and does anyone believe if its Xbox and possibly ps2 as well, that it will have turned based game play? The comment from Hines already about it fallout 3 being suited to bethesda current tech, already has me shitting myself imagining it as some kind of bastard FPS/3rd person rpg.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
I'm feeling nauseous!

Pete Hines the PR hiney gave another "interview" to IGN. Here's an excerpt:

IGNPC: Can we expect something similar to the work done on Morrowind, in terms of that style of game experience?

Pete Hines: Again, it's early to say, but it wouldn't be a leap of faith to say that we plan to use technologies in development otherwise. You could make some fairly safe leaps of faith that it would be similar in style. We're not going to go away from what it is that we do best. We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well.

To me, this says two things:

1. Fallout 3 will be First Person.
2. Bethesda has tried to make a 3rd person game and failed. Anybody care to remind me what it was?

TFVanguard

Liturgist
FrankHorrigan said:
Fuck that, confirms its gonna be some kinda of FPS/3PS.

Umm... how exactly? Not that it isn't possible, just.. well how do you get 'first person' or 'third person shooter' out of that? Given how they do things, I would expect a Morrowind/Daggerfall style engine with ranged weapons and technical ability replacing most of the magic system.

merry andrew

Erudite
TFVanguard said:
FrankHorrigan said:
Fuck that, confirms its gonna be some kinda of FPS/3PS.

Umm... how exactly? Not that it isn't possible, just.. well how do you get 'first person' or 'third person shooter' out of that?

'3PS' is actually 3-person shooter. The game does have a single player option but it is essentially for 3-person cooperative play.

TFVanguard

Liturgist
merry andrew said:
'3PS' is actually 3-person shooter. The game does have a single player option but it is essentially for 3-person cooperative play.

Point being, of course, that there's just not enough info around to either dismiss or praise the game yet. I mean, damn, let there be some CODE first. :P

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
We're not going to go away from what it is that we do best. We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well.
So okay, this part makes it look like they're going to do some first person thing with Fallout 3. If they're going to make that sort of a change I don't see why it would be so implausible that it suddenly becomes some vile DaggerFallout monstrosity.

finneusgage

Novice
Volourn said:
OMG! So useful of an interview. "Too early to tell' was the phrase du jour in that interview. Geez.. Even BIO had more useful info when they first announced Dragon Age. LMAO

LMAO except all Bethesda was announcing is that they acquired the rights to the game LMAO

TFVanguard

Liturgist
Sarkile said:
So okay, this part makes it look like they're going to do some first person thing with Fallout 3. If they're going to make that sort of a change I don't see why it would be so implausible that it suddenly becomes some vile DaggerFallout monstrosity.

It's not impossible, but there's nothing to indicate that it will be... leaping.. lots of leaping

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom