Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info KOTOR 2 dev diary at LucasArts official site

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

Believe it or not, there actually is some non-FO3 news today. The <a href=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords/index.html>LucasArts site for KOTOR2</a> has a new <a href=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords/designdiary1.html>dev diary</a> by Mike Gallo and Chris Parker.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>We had a lot to do at E3 this year. And it’s not like we just needed to show any game... we were showing the sequel to KOTOR, which won over 40 different ‘Game of the Year’ awards in 2003! It was a tall task for both Obsidian Entertainment and LucasArts to illustrate all the ways we wanted to improve the game and ensure the fans that we had every intention of bringing a worthy sequel to the plate.
<br>
<br>
This article was written collectively by Mike Gallo, LucasArts Producer and Chris Parker, Obsidian Producer. We both knew this E3 would be important, and we both knew that since it was so soon after the release of KOTOR, gamers would be apprehensive: can it be done, will it be done right, and will it live up to the first game?</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I somehow doubt it'd be that hard for Obsidian to make a better game than the first one. Hell, making the interface not suck would be a step up already.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Nightjed

Liturgist
lucasarts/bioware probably has obsidian by the balls restricting them on everything, i wonder how much space they have to fix/add/change things.

I loved KotOR at first. Tarris was great level design (even if it was kind of a rip off of Trantor...), then I realized Pazzak kinda sucked, and swoop bike "racing" wasn't really a good replacement for true pod racing.

It would have been so easy to port in the pod racing game that lucas owns the rights too to have some real racing throughout the various worlds :(

What really killed me was the level design in the latter planets, though mannan was pretty good. I've played Star Wars D20, and the pre-D20 paper and pen RPG, dungeons don't really fit in with the SW setting...

Well ultimately it was the lack of tactics in the combat, the diminishing number of interesting NPCs and the hack and slash devolution of the game that killed it for me, and I ended up hating myself for liking it at first.

I know everyone has high hopes for Obsidian but they are working within the constraints of the engine (which is hopelessly xboxified), so I'll hold off buying KotOR2 till I hear some intelligent reviews.

Ortchel

Liturgist
I'm amazed you guys managed to shut up about 'Followind' for a whole news post.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Too bad you couldn't. Seems to me you are more worried about it than us. :roll:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
pseudo intellectual said:
What really killed me was the level design in the latter planets, though mannan was pretty good. I've played Star Wars D20, and the pre-D20 paper and pen RPG, dungeons don't really fit in with the SW setting...

I think that's one thing that annoyed me greatly about KotOR, the high fantasy style dungeons where kobolds were cut out and they pasted in some driods. I don't remember any dungeons at all in the Star Wars movies, yet in KotOR you had large stone crypts with sculpted stone statues everywhere and the occational high tech device around. It just seemed really flakey.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Too bad you couldn't. Seems to me you are more worried about it than us.

I probably would have agreed, if it weren't for the 15+ pages of whiny bullshit proving you dead wrong.

But whatever :X

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom