Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Elwro's Eschalon 2 Evaluation

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Basilisk Games; Eschalon: Book II

While travelling through the world of Eschalon: Book II, Elwro learned the hard way that if you love a puppy, you must let it go and not sell its pelt to unscrupulous shopkeepers.

There are a few well done locations (Port Kuudad has its fair share of secrets) and quests. For example, to cut a long story short, a dwarf asks you to steal a puppy from a big wolf. You are told to bring exactly one puppy and leave the rest in the den. You will be tempted to take more than one, because they are valuable and you could certainly use the cash. You are told that something bad will happen if you take more than one puppy... and let me just tell you that it does happen. You have to weigh this consequence against your heavier purse. A real choice, a good quest.
Read on for his full review.

Andhaira

Arcane
Nice review. I intend to buy this puppy when I have the cash.

Btw, you really need to changeyour avatar Elwro, it offends my Muslim sensibilities.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
You should cut down a bit on the use of parentheses to create a better flow. Otherwise a great review.

ortucis

Prophet
I want to buy it but I am saving up for Dragon Age 2 + DLC's. :(

Saxon1974

Prophet
Nice writeup Elwro, I like these games quite a bit and I think the dev has only scratched the surface of his abilities....

Already bought the game but have not had time to play through all of it yet.

ortucis

Prophet
Jaesun said:
ortucis said:
I want to buy it but I am saving up for Dragon Age 2 + DLC's. :(

You should just kill yourself now, it would be a lot easier.

I want to but I am saving up for Mass Effect 3 + DLC's. :(

denizsi

Arcane
One thing you haven't talked about (or maybe did so in your review of the first game) is the interface. How things work, is it intuitive, is it comfortable? I recently tried to play my first Vogel games and the way interface worked (like diarrhoea) immediately put me off. Now I'm only struggling to play Nethergate only because of the setting and I find the MQ interesting so far.

visions

Arcane
Didn't see anything wrong with the interface in the first Eschalon, definitely not as clumsy as in Nethergate (either version), doubt that they've made the interface in the sequel any worse.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
denizsi said:
One thing you haven't talked about (or maybe did so in your review of the first game) is the interface. How things work, is it intuitive, is it comfortable? I recently tried to play my first Vogel games and the way interface worked (like diarrhoea) immediately put me off. Now I'm only struggling to play Nethergate only because of the setting and I find the MQ interesting so far.
I don't have time to respond in greater detail, but I'm pretty sure I covered the interface in the review of the first part. Short story: it doesn't kill the game. The first thing you'll notice is the unwieldy walking system. Instead of "point&click&walk-to-destination" it's either "press w and then move your mouse, the character will continuously walk and turn after the cursor" or "press LMB for the character to walk one square in the given direction". If you click on a chest 2 squares away, your character won't walk towards it and open it. I've no idea why they did it this way, but one can live with that. Other elements of the interface are pretty slick; you can also bind various spells with various levels to keys. I'd like to have more slots for defined outfits and iirc the alchemy interface is a bit clunky regarding scrolling, but overall the UI is OK.

torpid

Liturgist
Aside from using lighting and some destructible environments, the game seems inferior to Spiderweb games in every way, for roughly the same cost: single-character game, bland combat and empty-feeling world. I'll demo it anyway since I'm in dire need of isometric novelties t_t Let's see how it goes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom