Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout: New Vegas Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Videogamer enjoyed <a href="http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/fallout_new_vegas/preview-2602.html" target="_blank">an hour of hands-on time</a> with F:NV.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Most of the significant gameplay additions pop up under the optional Hardcore mode, which seems to be aimed at the long-time Fallout fans who took umbrage with a few of Bethesda's design choices. Under this setting your stimpacks will no longer instantly heal, but rather slowly replenish your health over a period of time; they also lose their strange, magic ability to fix crippled limbs - forcing you to visit a doctor if you come a cropper. Ammunition has a physical weight, so it's now harder to walk around like an amateur arms dealer. Finally, and perhaps most importantly of all, playing a Hardcore game forces you to deal with the threat of dehydration. If you don't drink clean water on a regular basis, you'll be thinner than a&hellip;</p>
<p>Another nod to the original games is to be found on the character creation screen, where you can now pick optional traits that offer some form of bonus strength and weakness trade-off: If you pick 'Four Eyes', for example, you'll gain +1 Perception while wearing glasses, but suffer -1 Perception when you're not. The biggest nostalgia kick stems from the return of Mark Morgan, composer on Fallout 1 and 2. When one of his eerie tribal tunes kicks in during a close battle, accompanied by the familiar whirring and bleep of the combat interface, it almost feels like the old days. Almost. New Vegas may not win over the bitterest of Fallout 3's critics, but it seems to be doing a lot of things right - particularly in the mystery that surrounds the hero's initial near-death. After an hour I was certainly hungry to play for a few more - and that's surely a promising sign.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99290-fallout-new-vegas-preview.html">GB</a></p>

Bitcher

Educated
Wasnt it officially stated that Mark Morgan wont be coming back for NV? That Inane Zur will be the composer as usual? Does Videogamer know something I dont or is it just another example of modern "critics" retardation?

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Bitcher said:
Wasnt it officially stated that Mark Morgan wont be coming back for NV? That Inane Zur will be the composer as usual?
Yes it was. There were some rumors regarding Morgan working on NV but he denied them and later Bethesda stated Inon Zur is making music for the game.

Edit: source

bert

Arcane
the return of Mark Morgan

22862182.png

:love:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm genuinely amped for Hardcore mode. As was stated in the other thread regarding this subject, so many more things that were completely trivial and unnecessary in Fallout 3 now potentially play a critical role. I know I'm repeating the obvious, but it humors me to go over these kinds of things frequently:

- Scrounging for equipment is going to be important, especially after a nasty firefight. Ammo may not be scarce, but once you run out since there's encumbrance you're going to be under stress until restocked.

- Choosing a light or medium armor type might really be a legitimate choice now, although I'll assume that power armor will augment your strength, negating that. Hopefully it'll be very difficult to obtain this time around.

- Some sort of base of operations will actually be useful, and not just for collecting bobbleheads. Stores of clean water and ammo as well as the various types of specialized weapons will be very valuable. Moving from one BoO to another might prove challenging, if ever necessary.

- Again, Perk and Trait choices could be critical, and meaningful. Doctor would be one I'd seriously consider for wasteland survival. Choices... S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats could be more critical as well, Strength taking on new significance, for example.

- Tactical gameplay and careful fighting will probably be a must. Running out of ammunition could ruin your day so relying on other types of weapons such as grenades takes on new significance as well. You can't just spray your way to victory now.

I'm probably reading wayyyy too much into this but any time I get faced with a legitimate challenge in an RPG that forces me to make sound character building decisions I get all worked up.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Under this setting your stimpacks will no longer instantly heal, but rather slowly replenish your health over a period of time; they also lose their strange, magic ability to fix crippled limbs - forcing you to visit a doctor if you come a cropper. Ammunition has a physical weight, so it's now harder to walk around like an amateur arms dealer. Finally, and perhaps most importantly of all, playing a Hardcore game forces you to deal with the threat of dehydration.
This is what Obsidian considers hardcore? :lol:
Really? What a fucking disgrace
In real Fallouts hardcore would be an inability to save and doing shit ironman-way - but from Obsidian's point of view hardcore is about ammo having weight and medkits? Hahaha jeez do they suck hard

If you pick 'Four Eyes', for example, you'll gain +1 Perception while wearing glasses, but suffer -1 Perception when you're not.
Looks like Avellone's retardation is back

CrimHead

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
In real Fallouts hardcore would be an inability to save and doing shit ironman-way

That's probably the worst argument you could have possibly made. You can play Iron Man in any game--it's metagaming (at least in the Fallout sense, as this is not an actual game feature ala Wizardry 8)-- and you can certainly do it in F:NV as well.

StrangeCase

Educated
CrimHead said:
MetalCraze said:
In real Fallouts hardcore would be an inability to save and doing shit ironman-way

That's probably the worst argument you could have possibly made. You can play Iron Man in any game--it's metagaming (at least in the Fallout sense, as this is not an actual game feature ala Wizardry 8)-- and you can certainly do it in F:NV as well.

I don't think Skyway really argues much anymore. Mostly he appears, drops an opinion whose sole criteria is that it be consistent with his Codex-approved persona, then wanders off. I guess this is fulfilling somehow?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Jim Cojones said:
Bitcher said:
Wasnt it officially stated that Mark Morgan wont be coming back for NV? That Inane Zur will be the composer as usual?
Yes it was. There were some rumors regarding Morgan working on NV but he denied them and later Bethesda stated Inon Zur is making music for the game.

Edit: source

So, NMA's info is outdated or what? Those who read the videogamer.com article (site is down atm) did they mention sources for their info?

edit: Found the article from Google's cache:

CORRECTION: We originally reported in this article that Mark Morgan, the composer who worked on Fallouts 1 and 2, was returning to work on New Vegas. This is not the case, although much of the game's soundtrack resembles his style. Apologies for any confusion this may have caused.

Fuckers getting my hopes up. :x

cogar48

Educated
Radisshu said:
FUCK, I got really excited about Mark Morgan.

Jason Bergman said:
Hi guys,

To clarify this once and for all:

All of the new music in Fallout: New Vegas is by Inon Zur, however we do use some of Mark Morgan's tracks from Fallout 1 & 2. They're mixed in with the Inon music in places (so are sound effects from Fallout 1 & 2) and the actual tracks themselves will play in specific locations. We use some of Inon's music from Fallout 3 as well. There's a ton of music in this game.

So that journalist had a remarkably good ear to catch the snippits he heard!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom