Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Ausir's Fallout: New Vegas Preview Part II

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>After the <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=48207" target="_blank">first part</a> Ausir continues to tell us the tale of his <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/My_Fallout:_New_Vegas_preview_-_part_2" target="_blank">GamesCom adventure.</a> Of course he managed to get onto the Bethesda list of suspects already.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>I wanted to try out the Hardcore Mode, but I was not able to due to one simple fact &ndash; for the purposes of the demo, my Courir's inventory was filled with thousands of rounds of ammo for various weapons, which made me nearly unable to move once I switched the mode, and by the time I would drop them all, I wouldn&rsquo;t have any time left to actually play. Although the time I had for playing the game probably wouldn&rsquo;t allow me to see any actual effects of things like dehydration anyway. So to continue playing, I had to switch back to Casual. Looking through gameplay options, I also noticed that the kill cam now has three modes &ndash; player view, cinematic and off. Guess which one I chose? Of course me going through the game&rsquo;s menus instead of just walking around Freeside and doing the quest for the King alarmed the Bethesda people again, so they approached me, but saw that I wasn&rsquo;t breaking any of their rules this time.</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>While I personally look forward to playing the full game, and will likely enjoy it (or am I writing this only because I got a t-shirt?), I still predict that many people will be (and in many cases already are) disappointed by it &ndash; some because it&rsquo;s still too much like <em>Fallout 3</em>, some because it changed too many of the things they loved about <em>Fallout 3</em>. While I doubt it will be very attractive to people who aren't already fans of the series, it will most likely appeal to most fans of Fallout 3 and to many of the fans of the original games who were not that fond of <em>Fallout 3</em>, especially those for whom the weak story was the main turnoff in Bethesda&rsquo;s game.</p>
</blockquote>

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Clockwork Knight said:
Ha ha it's actually named "Casual" instead of "Normal"? Thanks in advance for the hilarious future forum baaaaawing, Obsidian.
Haha, I didn't notice it said "casual" until you pointed it out.

:incline:

Ausir

Arcane
Well, just go to Beth forums, there are lots of people there who do, for whatever reason.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Clockwork Knight said:
What does NV remove? From what I've seen, they only added things. You still have lulsy weapons, lulsy characters / dialogue...
It removes the shitty aiming mechanics by implementing iron sights.

Ausir

Arcane
Lots of people actually love the feel of exploring a vast game world without much actual consequences of your choices.

What does NV remove? From what I've seen, they only added things. You still have lulsy weapons, lulsy characters / dialogue...

It doesn't have the lulzy craftable weapons like in FO3, the bobbleheads, etc.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Ausir said:
It doesn't have the lulzy craftable weapons like in FO3, the bobbleheads, etc.

Does it have non-lulsy craftable weapons? I thought there was potential in the crafting system, personally, but there were too few blueprints, and those that were there, were pretty damn stupid.

Drakron

Arcane
Josh explained that me seeing Damage Threshold only on the leather armor, but Damage Resistance on the Vault 21 jumpsuit was a bug – DR is actually gone entirely from the game in its current build and DT is the only damage-reducing armor stat now. However, at least on the PC, those who want for the armor to be more like in Fallout 3, with DR only, or like Fallout 1 and 2, with both DR and DT, will be able to adjust it accordingly in the GECK, as both stats are supported by the editor. I also noticed that in the inventory the Damage field for weapons now alternates between damage per shot and damage per second. By the way, damage is now a range, like in Fallout 1 and 2, instead of a set number like in Fallout 3.

Interesting ...

cogar48

Educated
commie said:
Mark my words: people who loved the first two Fallouts will throw their pirated disks in the trash when they see what NV has to offer!

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I need to stop posting pictures...

Achilles

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
it will most likely appeal to most fans of Fallout 3 and to many of the fans of the original games who were not that fond of Fallout 3, especially those for whom the weak story was the main turnoff in Bethesda’s game.

That sounds promising.

Silellak

Cipher
Oh Obsidian.
As far as bugs and glitches go, I was fortunate to not encounter any during my playthroughs, although the framerate was pretty bad in some areas outside Freeside. Josh told me that they’re working hard on squashing bugs and are constantly walking through the game’s world in search for places in which the game performs badly. Hopefully, by the time the game ships, the framerate will be good in most locations.
The game goes gold in how many weeks, Sawyer?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Silellak said:
The game goes gold in how many weeks, Sawyer?

Doesn't have to be in time for the gold master; they can just release a day 1 patch or one a few days after the release.

And who cares about framerate issues on the shitty console versions anyway.

Cassidy

Arcane
Reconite said:
Clockwork Knight said:
It removes the shitty aiming mechanics by implementing iron sights.

There are two mods that already did that and they don't really improve much the fact its gameplay was just full of fail, boring and shit. So essentially it is more of the same shit, only with the rape of the unborn fetus of Van Buren also tacked within.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Clockwork Knight said:
Ha ha it's actually named "Casual" instead of "Normal"? Thanks in advance for the hilarious future forum baaaaawing, Obsidian. :thumbsup:

Easy is too casual these days, so it's replaced it with casual, and it sounds much cooler than easy. And in turn, hardcore took the place of normal for the same reasons.

Ausir

Arcane
Actually, the Easy-Normal-Hard difficulty is still there, and is independent of the Casual-Hardcore mode. So you can play on casual/hard or hardcore/easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom